PL: Wigan h 2009/08/15 Ratings and Reactions

bickster

copying over

i can't believe one game can make me performa volte-face on my attitude towards this season.

Exactly how I feel Rodders. Hopefully I'll feel more positive once I've calmed down a bit, but I can't shake this nagging feeling that all the negativity that I've been trying not to listen to, may actually be right after all.

Signings. Good ones. Now.

what worries more me SR is the way we played. It was just so incredibly lacklustre. Last season, tiredness and a bit of a rut was frustrating but perhaps a bit inevitable. But after a summer break and some additions, we just look so lethargic. There's no renewed energy, no Young destroying fullbacks, no composed defence, there was so little to hold onto out there, that even though it is one game, I am worried we won't get back to our confident football.

Of course if we go and then destroy liverpool, then it might be easier to put this down as an aberration, but until then, the form in competitive games is continuing from last year, and until there are changes on the pitch, I cannot see a change in fortunes.

Maybe this is an aberration, I hope so, but it was the opening day of the season, at home, everyone all excited, against winnable opponents and yet the fare was so... Deflating, so, uninspriing, I feel like I've been sucker punched. i mean, what, what is there to promote a cause for optimism? Forget how we played 10 months ago. What sign is there that we will play like that again?

Todays game was a joke and showed how we still need to sign a defender to replace Laursen, play maker and a fricking striker! some people on here give me pure joke, a few days ago so many people where going on how we have such an amazing team, MON is a genius etc.

Its a joke, we have signed half decent players nobody who can even keep us in the top 6 at least.

Panic is justified after that display. The boos at VP were well deserved. It looked as though the team had never played together before. Wigan embarrassed us by simply being organized and working together. The skill of the players was not the problem today. This was a mental and tactical breakdown and the status quo will simply not do.

No need to panic but there are a few things i don't understand

why pick beye at right back when lichaj has played so well in pre-season in all the games surely he should of had first chance, you coul also make the same case for albrighton in for milner

why pick heskey in front of carew :shock:

why pick petrov in front of reo-coker :shock:

Don't be fooled by the name 'Wigan', they were excellent today. Didn't see them put a single foot wrong. Not a very good day for Villa to be completely useless in every aspect of the game.

Its a club who have sold 4 of there best 5 players in the last 2 windows and lost there manager.

Dont be fooled by Wigan, fuckoff.

Don't be fooled by the name 'Wigan', they were excellent today. Didn't see them put a single foot wrong. Not a very good day for Villa to be completely useless in every aspect of the game.

MON??

is that you??

we was shite..and done over by a mediocre team..its gonna be a long hard season

Friedel: 7 – Couldn’t do much about the first goal and a little unfortunate with the second. Only really player to come out with much credit on today’s performance.

Beye: 5 – Started brightly but faded in the second half. Was rightly substituted but I feel will com good.

Shorey: 3 – He was shown up today against players with speed. He is two slow but did make a few good recovery runs.

Cueller: 5 – Does not know how to cover his defensive partner and cannot pass the all under and sort of pressure. He needs to learn to drop and cover when Davies steps forward.

Davies: 4 – I believe he has been hanging around too many pubs in the off season.

Petrov: 4 – I was disappointed when he was given the captaincy ahead of NRC and I think I was proved right today. He is not a captain of any sorts; not drive and was lost today. He must have been missing his buddy today.

Delph: 4 – Too early for him today. He tried but was just not up to speed. He is going to come good though.

Milner: 6 – He tried and tried but could not make it happen. He seemed more effective when he came inside. He was very frustrated at the end of the game. I am sure it was down to his own performance.

Young: 5 – Showed a lot of attacking skills today but just wouldn’t pass the ball when it was needed.

Gabby: 4 - Still doesn’t know how to move off the ball. He still has his speed!!!

Heskey: 5 – He was one of the few who have given their all today just wasn’t good enough. He didn’t have much support but created our best chance in the second half.

Subs: 5 – They did what they could.

MON: 4 – Poor decision to play Delph in front NRC and not getting the left back position sorted. He looked out of ideas and very dejected at the end of the game.

Fans who booed: 0 – That’s really going to help.

What people have to realize is that Wigan is made up of players who a lot of Villa fans on here wouldn’t even sign. Bramble and Koumas have both been scoffed at but out played our players today. Villa need to sign players who can do a job and not have a fancy name.

I have been a coach for many years and truly believe you have to play the formation to suit your players. MON doesn’t do that and plays what was good for Clough when he was a player. MON, you have to bring in NRC or equivalent in as captain or this could be a very long season. We need leadership and we had zero today. We need to switch to 451 until we have players who can play 442. He will need o upset players when they sit on the bench but if the players don’t wish to fight and do what’s best for Villa then move them on.

Very disappointing. We started brightly enough but we got crucified through the midfield. It's easy to say in hindsight playing Delph was a mistake but there was only one way to find out how he would go...

To me I though Petrov might have been a bit underdone as well but in the end too many balls went past him and the defence held up pretty well to start but they kept getting hung out to dry by poor ball retention upfield.

Ashley Young was breathtakingly selfish today. Seems to have forgotten that he has teammates to pass to and he sure as hell has forgotten to cross. Even getting triple teamed he tried to finesse his way through rather than pass to space. And what is the point of getting Heskey to make runs to the near post if the selfish git is too busy playing FIFA street?

We looked far better when Sidwell came on but unfortunately Sidders left his scoring boots at home. Missed two very regulation chances.

To me the none of the players can say they had a good game. Only Beye, Milner, Sidwell and probably Heskey could say they had a decent game.

MON has some soul searching to do now and I think Randy probably needs to have a look under his couch cushions for some spare change because we need some urgent action in the transfer market.

Its a club who have sold 4 of there best 5 players in the last 2 windows and lost there manager.

Wigan were excellent today, No? You disagree? They ran us ragged, they hit the post, had one cleared off the line, the missed a one-on-one, they controlled the tempo, they ran the show. 3 or 4 would have been a fairer result.

A shit side would not have done that.

From where I'm sitting its hard to see where the improvement is going to come from. There's a real lack of onfield leadership evident. Why he started petrov and delph in central midfield beggared belief. I have no idea why Reo Coker wasn't started? Maybe he's off to Fulham?

Our defense is really in tatters.

Not sure if signings will fix this rot that seems to have set in, unless its a Chelski/ManShitty style splurge (not that I advocate that, but we've lost arguabaly between 15-25 million pounds worth of talent and replaced them with a crocked winger, a tryer from a relegated team and an unproven lad from league 1.)

Hope MON is able to pull something out of the hat because the signs are ominous.

Friedel : 7 - I thought Brad did Ok today, nice save in the second half and nothing he could really do about either goal

Beye: 6 - He did alright. i was surprised he was taken off. What we need, clearly,is to see more of Milner of full back

Shorey; 3 - I could have done better, seriously, and I've had a couple of beers, and I'm crap.

Cuellar: 6 - Struggled really

Davies: 4 - Look, get the guy out of the bloody team and give him the operation he clearly needs. Its a joke Martin, a complete joke, to keep on playing him like this. potentially he is a class defender, but you are ruining him

Petrov -5 - He aint no Reo-Coker, thats for sure

Delph - 5 - A replacement for Gareth Barry? Thats more sad than funny

Young - 4 - Simply not good enough in any part of his play. less Johnny big bollox more proper player please

Milner - 6 - MOTM - Our best player, and he was pretty average

Agbonlahor - 4 - He may have had a touch or two

Heskey - 6 - needs to be playing with better players

subs

Sidwell - 5- would have been a 6 but for the missed header. has he ever scored a header?

Albrighton - 6 - had a couple of crosses, but needed longer, I'd have had him on at half time for Young

Delfouneso - 5 - dont think he touched the ball

Wigan were just by far the better side

Once we get to grips with being second best to a team who wont finish top half, we might like to reconsider our transfer policy

We HAVENT replaced Barry, we must

We HAVENT replaced Laursen, we must

2 weeks, mr O'Neill. The biggest fortnight in your career

An abject, dire performance which should signal some pretty big changes.

Most importantly this should hopefully serve as a massive wake up call to a man who seems oblivious to the fact that if he can't turn things around pretty quickly he'll be looking for work.

Awful. Awful. Awful.

Wigan were excellent today, No? You disagree? They ran us ragged, they hit the post, had one cleared off the line, the missed a one-on-one, they controlled the tempo, they ran the show. 3 or 4 would have been a fairer result.

nope we was shit