PL: Wigan h 2009/08/15 Ratings and Reactions

bickster

Is it really the right time for MON to go? Daft word removeds!

I'm not so sure any more.

He has done a fantastic job getting us to where we are. Superb. But is he really the man to take us forward?

He obviously can't spot a defender to save his life, yet here we are two weeks from the end of the window in desperate need of a quality defender to steady the ship. Trust him to find that man do you?

I would say if not MON, the who? But that's for a different thread.

You really can't sack the manager after one very poor display though.

He obviously can't spot a defender to save his life, yet here we are two weeks from the end of the window in desperate need of a quality defender to steady the ship. Trust him to find that man do you

You pose an interesting question. I don't want him gone. But at the same time we can't defend. And even if he has been given lots of money to spend would I expect it to actually be spent or be spent on good enough players? Because adding a player past his best an error prone last season like Distin or a third player from a relegated team like Wheater won't be good enough.

But when you only shop at home, there's not much choice.

Indeed Pilchy. It's a very worrying situation.

It's not even as if they're bad players, discounting Shorey. People talk about Davies as if he's always been cack. But there's a cracking player in there, I've seen him with my own eyes. God knows what has happened to him, it has to be the coaching.

Cuellar has ability too and I didn't think he was that bad today, but next to a terrible performance like Davies' I'm not surprised he's getting lumped in. But he's certainly no leader.

However together, as a unit, they're absolutely clueless. It's like trying to pat your head and rub your belly. We've known this for months, and the manger should have known it for even longer. Yet here we are, first day of the season, with that shambles at the back.

Not good enough.

Not entirely of course...but you cant hide from the fact that team spirit and the morale means a lot because with players not holding great quality MON has worked wonders by getting players to gel together as a unit and having a great spirit. This is facts to me...

And please dont try to make me your scapegoat to attack when you are pissed off about the teams performance today. Move on now...

Yes, I agree team spirit is a big thing, but I also like to think we've won games through quality from our players too.

I am disappointed about todays performance, but I'm not making you a scapegoat at all. I just think it's ridiculous that we have fans calling for MON out already. We'll be a Newcastle-like laughing stock if we got rid of him now! Thankfully the people that matter are happy to keep MON, or so it seems.

I am not calling for MON to resign only based on this game.

He has had his 3 years circle now and as I see it he has been put to a standstill. The team is weaker than last season. The gameplay is hoofing. The transfer activity is low key and questionable. The tactics from MON are sometime a joke. Why on earth does he sit on press conference and say we cant expect performance from Delph until he has settled down and maybe it will take a "wee bit of time" until he show what he can do. He then releases him on the opening game?!?

No..it is simply not good enough on several issues for me and that is why I want him to leave...

End of crappy signings..please!

for me,i tink mon is only fit for the likes of te SPL,the league we are is to high a standered for him imo..i know Everton are getting spanked right now but id have Moyes over him any day..the only thing is i dont think Randy would have the bottle to give him the boot..

I think mean is able to do a job in the premiership but i want to see him change formations.We were doing alright until January then everything went bad and it hasnt changed this season.Randy would come to an agreement with mon i think,a kind of best interests of both parties type thing.Didnt randy fire his head coach and gm at the cleveland browns?

why the hell did he go from a 4-5-1 to a 4-4-2,i dont tink he has it in him to change his ways tbh..

He has done a fantastic job getting us to where we are. Superb. But is he really the man to take us forward?

He obviously can't spot a defender to save his life, yet here we are two weeks from the end of the window in desperate need of a quality defender to steady the ship. Trust him to find that man do you?

Try 15 poor performances last season...almost back to back poor displays

No, I agree.

But it isn't just one bad performance is it? It's 3 months of them. If the team can't get up for the first game of the season, something is terribly wrong.

There's no such thing as a bogey team.

Seriously? We must have pissed in the tea of some gypsies from Oldham and Leicester then. Two teams that we could never ever beat. Thank Christ they got relegated eventually, hopefully Wigan can go join them in another league sooner or later :winkold:

Mind you Wigan played very well today, impressive stuff, although the time wasting did piss me off no end.

Although your defence of the side/O'Neill is commendable, you must also acknowledge we've got problems at the moment, and failure to acknowledge that and saying all is rosey, when it's not, isn't going to help.

Wigan were good today, but we should be taking maximum points from side like them, if we're to challenge at the top of the Premiership.

The teams form appears to have carried on where it left off last season. O'Neill didn't appear to have any answers to our poor form towards the end of last season. We've not strengthened, and I don't think we're going to see a lot more action between now and the close of the window. No excuses either, O'Neill knew this was a big summer with Laursen retiring and Barry leaving, but we've done fuckall. You can see it already, we're going to have the same problems as last season, we won't be able to compete both domestically and in europe, our squads too small.

I know it's only the first game, but I don't know were we go from here. A return to 4-5-1, we need to stop getting beat, sides are walking through us at the moment. Get Agbonlahor out of the side. O'Neill's loyalty to this lad is going to be one of his downfalls if he isn't careful. He offers nothing and hasn't dne for a while.

Thought the whole team were poor. Absolutely no desire at all. I lost count of how many times one of our players stood and watched the ball roll past them, expecting another Villa shirt to go for it.

Cant fault Friedel with either goal to be hones.

Shorey isnt good enough.

Davies and Cuellar just dont look very good together. Neither is a leader.

Beye looked like a bloke we have only signed a couple of days ago.

Milner worked hard, didnt have much to work with.

Young seemed more interested in falling over and arguing with the ref

Delph showed some good touches, but looked like a 19 year old who has only a handful of league one games under his belt.

Petrov didnt look fit.

Heskey isnt good enough.

Gabby was anonymous.

I thought Sidwell did okay when he came on. At least he showed a bit of passion.

Wigan on the other hand were excellent. They were stronger than us, they were faster than us and they played all the nice football. It was scary how often they just walked through us, and they were unlucky not to score more goals. Credit where credit's due, but something doesnt sit right when 800 or so travelling Wigan fans are chanting olé olé with twenty minutes to go.

He has had his 3 years circle now and as I see it he has been put to a standstill. The team is weaker than last season. The gameplay is hoofing. The transfer activity is low key and questionable. The tactics from MON are sometime a joke. Why on earth does he sit on press conference and say we cant expect performance from Delph until he has settled down and maybe it will take a "wee bit of time" until he show what he can do. He then releases him on the opening game?!?

No..it is simply not good enough on several issues for me and that is why I want him to leave...

We''ll have to agree to disagree then mate. I am with you on the unattractiveness in the way we play at times. But in terms of signings and effevtiveness of the way we play.. I can't complain. This style of football and the transfers made has taken us from absoloute shit to consecutive top 6 places and a fairly decent raid on the top 4, so I can't complain about that.

Surprised to see a few saying Ashley was one of our best today. I'm with the few who thought he was shite. Seemed to try and win the game on his own, just refused to pass! A few times he was taken down unfairly, but the point still remains.

Try 15 poor performances last season...almost back to back poor displays

thats the thing people on here dont seem to get,we have been **** up since last feb ffs..why is that i wonder,i do have a feeling that he has lost the dressing room,and he made a massive **** up with the change in tactics..bring in heskey was a massive mess to..

I tell you who I felt sorry for today, Nigel Reo Coker. If I was him left sat on that bench with a bunch of kids while another kid made his debut and Sidwell was used as as I sub I would be fuming. In fact if I was him I would walk into O'Neill's office on Monday morning with a written transfer request.

The only players who I rated highly were Milner and Young.

I have to say other than the first 15 minutes that Ashley Young was **** useless today.

I disagree. He was still causing trouble for their defenders well beyond the first 15 minutes...my only problem with his game in general is that he often tries too hard to dribble through 3 men and it obviously doesn't always come off. He needs to keep his head up more.

We''ll have to agree to disagree then mate. I am with you on the unattractiveness in the way we play at times. But in terms of signings and effevtiveness of the way we play.. I can't complain. This style of football and the transfers made has taken us from absoloute shit to consecutive top 6 places and a fairly decent raid on the top 4, so I can't complain about that.

Surprised to see a few saying Ashley was one of our best today. I'm with the few who thought he was shite. Seemed to try and win the game on his own, just refused to pass! A few times he was taken down unfairly, but the point still remains.

Our first team is good..or was good..because without Barry and Laursen we doesnt seem to have the strength and composure. Also think Friedel should be replaced by Guzan.

If you look at the central defence you need to think on how bad Davies really was when he went totally out of position several times yet we were lucky to avoid more goals from Rodallega.

I dont think that the team DOL had was crap. It just wasnt a team unit. The team did perform a very good season under DOL. As for the first team material MON has a better team..yes...but he has spend quite a lot of money to get there.

I tell you who I felt sorry for today, Nigel Reo Coker. If I was him left sat on that bench with a bunch of kids while another kid made his debut and Sidwell was used as as I sub I would be fuming. In fact if I was him I would walk into O'Neill's office on Monday morning with a written transfer request.

Especially when we were losing the midfield battle in the way we were.

I can't argue with bringing Albrighton on at all, lad did good. But other changes should have been made at half time.

Our first team is good..or was good..because without Barry and Laursen we doesnt seem to have the strength and composure. Also think Friedel should be replaced by Guzan.

If you look at the central defence you need to think on how bad Davies really was when he went totally out of position several times yet we were lucky to avoid more goals from Rodallega.

I dont think that the team DOL had was crap. It just wasnt a team unit. The team did perform a very good season under DOL. As for the first team material MON has a better team..yes...but he has spend quite a lot of money to get there.

i agree about Friedel,i think he's to slow and old now its a season to far for him at the top..