PL: Wigan h 2009/08/15 Ratings and Reactions

bickster

MON on the radio says it will be difficult to replace Laursen and Barry. For **** sake they have been gone for months now. Have you given up? Is MON incapable of signing players of this standard, if he is he should resign NOW!!!

Hmm some overreactions here, but if it helps you feel better post away. I'm going to find some beer :D

Overreactions? Really?

It's about the worst we've played in his 3 years here IMO. Delph did, unfortunately, look miles off the pace. Beye was ok, but that defence of Martins on a whole were all over the place and have been for a very long time.

Also, who-ever boo'ed at half time can **** right off. Boo'ing isnt going to help the players one bit!!!! And for the guy in the upper holte, shouting 'heskey ur shit' all game, **** off to the away section then!!

We need to improve, attack attack and defence is needed. At no point did we seriously look like we wanted the win!!

Although he is right about Heskey.

MON on the radio says it will be difficult to replace Laursen and Barry. For **** sake they have been gone for months now. Have you given up? Is MON incapable of signing players of this standard, if he is he should resign NOW!!!

If I hear that line one more time I will scream.

That's your job mate. If you can't handle it you know what you can do.

I owe some an apology. I was wrong, he's made a complete balls up of the summer. Terrible.

The Fear says this

My observation?

He's lost the changing room.

Never seen them perform like that in the first game and NEVER heard them booed off in the first game at half time let alone full time.

Rumours all summer about players not happy, even one coming home 'injured' led to rumours. Rumours of players not liking the lack of tactics, 5 aside games etc.

NRC was furious today when Allbrighton (a kid) came on. NRC is MON's signing, he cost £8.5m and was on the bench.

Milner didn't look happy being put to full back.

JC had a face like wet weekend before the game, he was going to be on the bench, he didn't hobble off after warm up.

Hmmm, another 'injury'... or just pissed off that a donkey and a chunky lazy kid got in the team before him?

You decide!

This is the first time I will say it...

I want Martin O´Neill out. Todays performance showed me that he has taken the club as far as he can with two consecutive 6th places.

Eh? This doesn't make sense at all. First of all you're saying that the showing of one game gives you enough info about how well we are going to do? You need to watch Villa more if you think this is as bad as it gets, we had worse performances last season FFS.

The team lack almost everything at the moment and I dont trust his tactical knowledge and I certainly dont trust him on the transfer market. His coaching ability is tops...but that is not enough in Premier League.

You say his transfer, etc. are all shit.. so would you please enlighten me on how exactly we changed from a relegation battling side to a consistant top 6 side. I can't wait to hear your reasons.

I was embarrassed today...

Wigan Athletic made us look like a joke. They had brilliant creativity in players like newly signed Gomez...absolutely brilliant crossings and passings from Figueroa and also a lethal striker in Rodallega. How a club like Wigan can find and attract those kind of players is beyond me...no..I correct myself...how a club like that can find those players..yet Villa misses out again and again. This small club found Esteban Valencia..and sold him with great profit in the summer. They rebuild and find new gems...

You make it sound like the likes of Ashley and Delph are terrible players. Yes, they had poor games today, but I'm sure Figueroa and Rodellega will have more than a few shite games. Also, why is it that you feel we should be beating Wigan if you feel their players are oh so much better than ours?

It is time Martin...I am actually sad to say...but it is time to leave. The gameplay is awful..the energy was shameful and the whole attitude in a opening day game suggest that they all have lost it at Villa Park!

Talk about biggest over-reaction ever! Who are 'all' of these people that have lost it at VP?

Sad to see MON go? We aint idiots mate, you're the first to jump on MON over everything you can.

NRC was furious today when Allbrighton (a kid) came on. NRC is MON's signing, he cost £8.5m and was on the bench.

Tough shit for NRC, to be honest. Albrighton was one of our few bright points today.

It was the right move, but it was too **** late. Way way way too **** late.

Overreactions? Really?

Yes, I'd say calling for the manager to go after one game is an overreaction. I also don't think that is the worst we've played ... but people's expectations keep on rising, so it just feels that way.

Some people also have axes to grind and points of view they wish to feel vindicated about.

I didn't enjoy today at all, well other than my meal in the Centenary Suite, but perspective is needed. We've never beaten Wigan at Villa Park, they are a bogey team for us.

On that performance I would be seriously concerned about Thursday now. Can see Vienna turning us over..

Based on that performance I expect them to turn us over, that was pathetic, truelly pathetic. Its the worst I've seen us play since the dark days of O'Leary. Just appalling.

Guest Ricardomeister

Just back from the game and have to say, apart from the first 10 or 15 minutes, that was a disgraceful embarrassment to Aston Villa FC.

Yes, we are only 1 game into the season, so there is no point in getting carried away but the warning signs are still quite obviously there, just as they have been since March.

Our passing was again woeful.

There was little or no movement.

We reverted to our usual hoofball as we have zero creativity.

The defence was a disorganised shambles. The midfield again gave no help to the defence.

There was no leadership on or off the pitch. The only player we have with leadership qualities is NRC who has again been treated appallingly imo by MON.

There was no steel or fight with heads dropping.

Martinez, a Premiership novice, completely out-thought MON tactically.

There is no point singling anybody out for criticism as everybody was useless (which I can forgive as everybody has off days) and spineless (which I can never forgive).

I really hope that this was just a blip, but I suspect it probably is not. Anybody getting carried away by the Peace Cup win will hopefully not be so naive in future.

The warning signs are there for us so I just hope that we show some proper ambition otherwise we are in for a long and deeply frustrating season.

Hmm some overreactions here, but if it helps you feel better post away. I'm going to find some beer :D

This isnt about one game not for me anyway.This is about the same football being played since January,relegation football.nothing has changed since then and im worried.

That was a worrying performance on so many levels. People were kidding themselves after a couple of decent perfomances in a pre-season tournament that poor players like Davies had magically transformed overnight, and we'd again be pressing for the top 4. Well unless O'Neill manages to bring in 3 top class players before the end of August, we've absolutely no chance.

Ratings from the game:

Friedel - let's be honest, his best days are behind him, and he rarely rpoduces his Blackburn form at Villa

Shorey - terrible, terrible player. Lightweight and error prone, just poor

Davies - Rapidly looking the worst central defender I've seen at Villa. Makes Bramble look like Baresi.

Cuellar - Better than Davies, but really, that's to damn with faint praise. Not good enough either.

Beye - didn't really notice any huge errors, but nothing to get excited about either

Milner - one of the few to come out with any credit, ran his knackers off, and is much more of a team player than Young.

Petrov - a poor game, but didn't look fit to me

Delph - looked exactly what he was, a 19 year old making his first ever top flight start. Ridiculous decision to start with him

Young - needs to be told he doesn't have to dribble around 4 defenders every time he gets the ball. Frustrating

Heskey - usual game, played quite well, but never looked a threat. Unless we sign a world class goal poacher or attacking midfielder, he's a luxury we can't afford.

Agbonlahor - carried on last season's poor form

Martin O'Neill shouldn't be sacked HOWEVER, Today was disgraceful.

Okay, I'll start.

Everytime Friedel got the ball, WHY THE **** AREN'T THE DEFENDERS SPREADING AND FULL BACKS PROVIDING AN OPTION!??!?!?!?

Let's get it on the **** ground and play.

Nicky Shorey - Don't get me **** started, always said he's useless, woeful.

Habib Beye - He was okay. Didn't really make a mistake but didn't do anything good either.

Cuellar and Davies - Geniunally didn't think they were too bad, all their attacks came down from Shorey's flank or through the middle through Gomez.

Stiliyan Petrov - I've said it so many times, He offers **** nothing in a 2 man midfield, no creativity, don't get on the ball, no flipping nothing.

Fabien Delph - Just an okay performance, weren't poor but again weren't good.

Steve Sidwell - I thought when he came on we started supporting the strikers better, creating a few things.

Ashley Young - Trying to do much, ALTHOUGH our players are waiting for him to do something, noone gives him any options!!!

Milner - Average, no opinion.

Heskey - He actually was arguably one of our best players, won his flick ons, kept the ball for us most of the time.

Agbonlahor - Just nothing, although to be honest, no service at all, I saw him make various runs and all the balls were very poor.

Overall 3/10.

Still can't get my head around Reo Coker not starting in a game like this after his performances in pre season and being replaced by a kid. That for me, is a big factor in the loss today. Davies being sadly below expectations I had of him is another ,but jesus. Did he not think at all looking at that mimdfield, that it was somewhat weak?