Well the season starts.... TODAY! You happy where we stand?

rsjg80

How happy are you the day the season starts?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. How happy are you the day the season starts?

• Really optimistic - no doubts we're set to go from strength to strength.
    • Neutral - had hoped for more but expecting much the same as last season.
    • Pessimistic - we're going to slip a little this season, we've let too many other teams over take us.
    • Suicidal - I can't believe we've got to the start of the season with less players, in numbers and quality; we're doomed.

I have concerns about Davies and Cueller as central defensive partnership based on the last half of last season. I was hoping we would have a recognised CB in at this point in the season which has not come to fruition yet. Therefore, I think we are currently fragile at the back and will find it hard to keep clean sheets.

That said, I think the signing of Delph and the emergence of Albrighton are quite exciting and added to the current squad can see them maintaining and hopefully improving our goals tally.

Overall at this point I think we will mainting our position but with another couple of signings think we might be able to challenge the top 4 over the course of the full season rather than just the 2/3rds last time out.

I voted pessimistic due to bringing in a distinct lack of quality in the transfer window so far. We haven't replaced Barry or Laursen and we haven't improved upon our defence significantly enough! We also needed to bolster the forward line with someone to push Gabby, but that hasn't materialised either! Our squad numbers haven't really improved, although the likes of Abrighton and Clark are starting to come through, which is good to see, but overal, with the present squad, i can't see us maintaining our sixth place, never mind, improving upon it :bang:

I'm optimistic - but mainly because of the kids coming through. Barry was (is) a very good player but he didn't support the attack much. Delph clearly will. I can see a lot more goals because of that. Albrighton is fearless, Fonz has lots of skill. Of the regulars If Young, Gabby, Milner play well (rather than OK-ish) they will create lots of chances for sure. A lot depends on our ability to score goals. The difference between the top teams and the bottom is far more about goal-scoring than defense. I do worry that MON is too defensively-minded though and my heart sinks when plan A is to lump it up to Carew or Heskey and hope they win a foul. But hey, it's the start of the season, let's go for it!

Neutral for me. We lost some big players in Barry & Laursen and certainly have not made any straight replacements for them, but we have also made some decent signings and its encouraging to see some of the youngsters coming through. We just need Alan Hansen to say something about never winning anything with kids right about now. ;)

I'm still concerned about the size of the squad and any excuses that MON comes out with regard to this are simply not acceptable any more. But the window still isn't closed so hopefully we can do something else before it does. MON needs to go in for someone big before the month is out.

We need more signings, end of.

If we are the same squad wise come Sept 1st, then im afraid the moaning minnie brigade may have a new member.

Other than that, im still fairly optimistic for the season, its just that i think the above will play its hand at some point.

Signings = 5th and a chance of a trophy

No signings = 8-10TH, and a few disgruntled people

I think it's a joke the way the summers panned out. We'd known for a long time we'd loose Barry and Laursen and here we are with no bona fide replacements. 3 points today is a must or the knives will be out.

Remember, for the second half of the season last year we were about the worst team for form. We're starting this season with that team. We spent 20 games where we were unable to beat a ginger stepson.

And we realistically got 1 first teamer in, in Beye. Delph may turn out ok *in the future*, but we're going backwards.

Remember, for the second half of the season last year we were about the worst team for form. We're starting this season with that team. We spent 20 games where we were unable to beat a ginger stepson.

And we realistically got 1 first teamer in, in Beye. Delph may turn out ok *in the future*, but we're going backwards.

But then i could easily argue it was the same team that got us to 3rd, with most points Villa have ever achieved in that period. I'll probably get that we don't have Barry or Laursen now, Laursen i can understand but Barry i won't. I think everyone knows my views on that cock by now! I hear many comments he was a calming influence, he was so calm he almost fell asleep at times. I am not doubting his talent, but on here there is an obsession with him being 'Great', when they made him Captain thats when our season went down the pan. I am optimistic, we have some great talent coming through, what you have to remember these kids are hungry for success, they've been brought through together, they know each others strengths, sometimes were very shortsighted. Delph, Delf, Clarke and Albrighton will play a huge part for Villa in years to come, add Davies, Milner, Young and Gabby and how can you not be optimistic? But hey this is where it counts.

I choosed Pessimistic...but in my mind I am slightly towards Suicidal because MON has not done enough this summer..yet. I would like to feel happy but there are too many questions needed to be answered in order for me to feel relaxed about the situation.

What will the losses of Barry and Laursen mean?

Will the team improve and has the team improved since last season?

Many said this will be MON's biggest summer..we'll see i guess.

Lack of activity from many teams though.

CB a priority. Talk of distin..he'd do a job for us; but already on the download slope a little for me.

Would also like to see quality signings at LB, CM and ST. But that is probably just dreaming now.

Yea we're going the slow and steady route. Which is probably the only way without mega millions now. I do think we need to show more ambition though, and show the few quality players we have that we're doing all we can to push on. Player loyalty is pretty much a thing of the past now, if they can get better (money, winning teams) they'll take it. I'll be really surprised if we're not talking about Ashley Young's departure next summer.

Do think we're going to slip a little this season though..hopefully just a place or two at most!

in terms of today im really confident, until we get battered at plop and the window closes without further improvements then ill worry, but personally i dont see why so many fans have their ass in their hands, the 18 we will name today will keep us going for another 2 weeks

Expecting a few high scoring matches this season! Confident on our goal scoring ability but equally not confident about our ability to defend, especially if we loose either Carlos or Curtis. Over 4 goals today is the bet I would take. If we do stay as we are (no signings) then I reckon about 10th. UTV

Â