1. 1. Where will we end up this Season

• Top 4
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th - 10th
    • 11th - 14th
    • Relegation Battle

I've kept optimistic and am going for 5th. I think the youth and enthusiasm with so many young rep players in the mix for WC spots next year and with the exit of Barry in the Summer will see us lift above expectations. Laursen is obviously a MASSIVE loss, but I have faith in MON and his pre season selections of Cueller and Clark stepping up this year with the hopeful late addition of a CB for some much needed depth up the back. The youngsters were brilliant in Spain and should provide some surprise cover for the abovementioned losses. Many teams would kill for the youth and enthusiasm we have at AV, plus with the experience of blokes like Carew and Heskey around Villa Park, we should again feature in the top quarter of the table. Any new signings will only be a bonus obviously providing me more hope of a shot at competing for CL

I think a lot of people are disappointed that we haven't improved hugely. There's an argument that we've gone backwards. I see where these people are coming from.

But personally I see a 6th place finish again.

I don't think the season will be the rollercoaster last year was. We'll be less brilliant, but more consistent.

With Barry and Laursen I really felt we could beat any of the top 4 bar Utd (soley because of their voodoo curse on us). Without them we'll struggle more against the top teams, but our best players are a year older and wiser, and I just don't see another collapse like last season. Another two defenders in and I think we'll also have better depth. Love the Beye and Delph signings, not gone on Downing but he's the sort of player MO'N should inspire. So no need for doom and gloom, but our epic chase for 4th last year is unlikely to be repeated.

i think our rivals have strengthened a lot more than we have so far - of cource this could change before 31st

but as of now we have slipped behind 1 or 2 in terms of quality and depth so i think 8-10th this season

I'd say the top four are weaker this year.

Chelsea - Pensioners

ManU - No Ronaldo

Liverpool - No man to pull the strings

Arsenal - Lost best defender and striker (debatable)

Everton will probably lose Lescott, weakening them.

If you want to count Spurs as a rival, then i'd say theyve remained the same.

Man City are probably the only team thats strengthened, Sunderland too but i dont see them as a rival.

This.

We are stronger this year, imo. Downing and Delph are both Young/Milner calibre signings. Laursen is a big miss, but we are going to have a LOT of threat in attack, especially with the awesome prospect of Albrighton's crosses thrown into the mix.

If the transfer window shut tomorrow I'd still fancy our chances of improving on last season. Some of the crap written on this thread is quite unbelievable.

8th-10th for me unless MON pulls out 3 very large rabbits from the hat in the next 2 and a bit weeks.

As things stand, I cannot see us finishing ahead of the Sky 4 or Citeh/Spuds as they have bigger squads with as much quality as us and they don't have Europe to distract them.

I think it will be tough to finish above Everton as I think they have more resilience and fight than us.

If we get injuries and/or don't bolster the squad then we could even struggle to stay ahead of teams like West Ham/Fulham/Sunderland imo.

If you believe all that, you should have voted for 11th - do the math

Actually it is you that maybe should do the English! :lol:

I said "we could even struggle to stay ahead of........" "Could" does not mean "will". At no point did I say that they will definitely finish above us.

More pedantry on villatalk...no surprise there! :lol:

Right, so we've flushed that one out.

You don't really believe all that.

You are perhaps just mentioning it to add to the general air of gloom and panic that some people seem to enjoy promulgating on the site.

Why is it "promulgating panic" to state that if we don't strengthen the squad, and injuries hit, that clubs may overtake us? The poster is quite correct that if we don't buy any more players, we could struggle, especially as the centre of defence is so under strength.

I fully expect O'Neill to bring more defenders in, but it's not doommongering to say that if he doesn't, we could struggle.

4th mainly because I think we have a very strong squad that will have the numbers and that something extra we've been missing by the 1st of September.

MON is going to pull it out of the hat again, believe!

I think 7th maybe 8th if we cock up like last year, and its not becuase we are stepping backwards, its because teams like Spurs and Man City have improved greatly from last year, even fulham looked pretty decent last year and the fact (it looks like) they have kept Brede shows they are moving in the right direction. I do really believe a decent cup run is on the cards, would love the kids to kick some ass for us!!

I think 7th maybe 8th if we cock up like last year, and its not becuase we are stepping backwards, its because teams like Spurs and Man City have improved greatly from last year

Citeh fair one, but have Spurs improved greatly?

I think 7th maybe 8th if we cock up like last year, and its not becuase we are stepping backwards, its because teams like Spurs and Man City have improved greatly from last year

The level of hot air coming from their manager has increased by 30% on last season.

The level of hot air coming from their manager has increased by 30% on last season.

Indeed, inflated to 8000 psi and still going. The clearing in the woods. Naughton is not going to get them top 6.