Compassionate grounds

tonyh29

Should we show compassion to convicted criminals  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Should we show compassion to convicted criminals

• I knit yogurt so of course they should go free
    • An eye for an Eye let them rot in jail
    • Depends on what they did

Megrahi's release is part of a bigger commercial picture and quid pro quo for 'improving relations' with Libya.

Justice (imo) has nothing to do with his release.

In fact he was convicted as part of a political battle, he was only given up by Ghadaffi because he wanted to have a better relationship with the west

So this bloke was only convicted to improve western-libya relations and now he's being freed to help improve western-libya relations . What a crazeeee world we live in.

Yep, yep and yep (all in my opinion, of course).

the voting options should be more neutral, because as they stand i don't agree with any of them.

You might think they should be allowed to be free, but you don't knit yoghurt.

you might think they should stay in jail, but don't believe in 'an eye for an eye'

"Depends what they did" means the question needs to be better phrased to eliminate this option.

sorry!

:shock:

if there is a prize for pedant of the year then I'll see that you get it :-)

if you want him freed then you are a liberal , ergo under VT rules you must knit yogurt

and so on

:D You haven't seen the Grammar Nazi on patrol :D

but my point was i want to vote for "staying in jail", but i don't believe in "an eye for an eye".

If they are really about to die, let them go. We will have nothing to fear from them and further punishment is pretty much pointless. If they are not really that ill then round em up and stick em back in jail until they are. The idea of campassion is more for the family of the convicted than it is for the convicted person themselves anyway. I don't have a problem with any loved ones wanting to be there to say goodbye and showing compassion to them.

Depends on the crime not the sentence since Judges seem happy to lock rapists up for 2 years and throw the key away for people caught with drugs. A public pardon system is the only way to go have a jury decide whether a convict should be freed on compassionate grounds or not. On that matter why can't juries hand out sentences as opposed to the Judges?

It depends.

For fear of coping out, "This" too.

i think there is always room for compassion and understanding, even in thr criminal justice system. Depends on the case and the circs, but i was totally in favour of letting Ronaldo Biggs out. Not really due to his health, but on the grounds that his sentence was ridiculous in the first place ....

Definitely release them.

I strongly believe that as your time comes to an end, you're going to reflect on your life (if you're "still all there") and that this act will matter not whether you're in Jail, or just let out of jail and are in hospital or with the ones you love.

You have to live with, and die with, the sum of your life. Most people I'm sure can be rightly proud of themselves, and should be able to sleep easily for that last time. A few may die wracked with a sense of terrible guilt, or anger that they let themselves be used, or did terrible things. But at that point it's betwen them and whatever happens next. That's the real punishment or peace in many senses.

read a book called Trial of the octopus a few years back .. claims that PAN AM flights were being used as controlled drug flights by the CIA (In return for the Syrian using their influence to free the remaining American hostages, the CIA helped them to safely transport their heroin on transatlantic flights)
The CIA involved in drug running - ridiculous idea (afghan production up 400% since us takeover, cia backing the mexican govt to wipe out their rivals there, 7 new us military sites going into columbia). If it aint' one thing (oil) then it's the other (drugs).

Bingo.

Blimey oath, this bloke's making the most of his few minutes of fame, isn't he?

It's like bloody jackanory.

:lol: Was thinking that myself. BBC cut him off! You can tell he's trying to sugar coat a decision that ain't going to be popular, he spent about 5 mins saying absolutely nothing effectively. 'I spoke to every Tom Dick and Harry under the sun, and THE UK GOVERNMENT'.

EDIT - He's still bloody going!

Who cares what the yanks think. The bloke is more than likely innocent anyway.

I didn't say I cared abut them per se, however you have to wonder if at least part of the decision to release him actually rested on stopping his appeals, which allegedly, were going to reveal evidence leading back to rhe real culprits - Iran.

Justice has been fudged for $ and political expediency yet it's being dressed up as the height of humanitarianism by Rob Roy.

Who cares what the yanks think. The bloke is more than likely innocent anyway.

I didn't say I cared abut them per se, however you have to wonder if at least part of the decision to release him actually rested on stopping his appeals, which allegedly, were going to reveal evidence leading back to rhe real culprits - Iran.

Justice has been fudged for $ and political expediency yet it's being dressed up as the height of humanitarianism by Rob Roy.

Agree with what you say there. Hopefully, this won't be the end of it in terms of finding out the truth.

Â