Friendly: Fiorentina h 2009/08/08 Reactions and Ratings

LancsVillan

It may be because I was watching him more than anyone else, but Delph has star written all over him. Very composed performance against a top quality side.

The first ten minutes or so he was running around like a headless chicken, then something just clicked for him and he ran the show. He looks a superb player.

I like. Man of the match.

Agreed, but would prefer the finished article in there. Tell you what though, he aint phased is he!

Great confidence, great touch and so much ability. Great signing!

Just back - lot's of positives but I must say I still think we're a bit light. I liked Delph but have to agree that he's no Barry, at the moment. I'd like to see him play alongside Petrov though and he's certainly a very bright prospect.

Albrighton is a very good player, I really think he's the real deal, and he may force MON in to turning one of Young/Milner/Downing into a central midfielder (my hunch is that Downing was bought with this in mind) Lichaj did OK but very pleased we've got Beye. Gabby looked much more like the one that started next season to me, he didn't get much service but he did really well today - I'm stating here that I think he could be the surprise man this season. I also thought that Cuellar was much better than most others have posted, he was all over everything in the first half and passes the ball so intelligently, as a big fan of Davies I'm sad to say that he hasn't looked himself for the last 6 months, he was poor today in his positioning and distribution. Finally Nicky Shorey...all I can say is 'get well Freddy!'

My starting line-up for next week would be:

Friedel

Beye Davies Cuellar Shorey

Albrighton Petrov NRC Milner

Young

Carew

Guzan, Gabby, Delph, Sidwell, Clarke, Heskey

Just back - lot's of positives but I must say I still think we're a bit light. I liked Delph but have to agree that he's no Barry, at the moment. I'd like to see him play alongside Petrov though and he's certainly a very bright prospect.

Albrighton is a very good player, I really think he's the real deal, and he may force MON in to turning one of Young/Milner/Downing into a central midfielder (my hunch is that Downing was bought with this in mind) Lichaj did OK but very pleased we've got Beye. Gabby looked much more like the one that started next season to me, he didn't get much service but he did really well today - I'm stating here that I think he could be the surprise man this season. I also thought that Cuellar was much better than most others have posted, he was all over everything in the first half and passes the ball so intelligently, as a big fan of Davies I'm sad to say that he hasn't looked himself for the last 6 months, he was poor today in his positioning and distribution. Finally Nicky Shorey...all I can say is 'get well Freddy!'

Friedel

Young

Carew

No Sneijder in that line up Steell. Not confident then :lol:

Clarke looks quite a prospect aswell. Some great kids coming through 8)

Friedel

Young

Carew

No Sneijder in that line up Steell. Not confident then :lol:

Clarke looks quite a prospect aswell. Some great kids coming through 8)

Yeah good point. He can have Sidwells place, on the bench :winkold:

Haven't seen enough from big JC to warrant a first team place next week, it's all well and good turning it on the league but I think he's got to realise, he's got to do it week in week out, I hope we start with Heskey and Gabby with the two wide men coming off their flank and linking up with Heskey. Carew doesn't really offer us this option, it's why Heskey failed in his first 4/5 months IMO, we played the same game once we signed him as what we played before, i.e get the ball wide and cross it, he's not that sort of player, he needs the ball into the feet and players to move off him, he can bully defenders and has good pace as shown today, he'll be an asset this year and Yes JC is one if not my favourite player at Villa but he has to do more.

heskey is suspended so he cant start, i agree with your post though heskey looked good today and carew didnt, and one things for sure from the peace cup JC and heskey didnt make a good pair so it'll be gabby with one of them

Observations from today:

Delph shone against strong opposition and will fit into the premieship like a hand in a glove.

Albrighton will get plenty of game time this season and looks the real deal.

Clark is good enough to be our 4th choice centre back.

John Carew will have strong competition for a starting berth if Heskey can continue his pre season form. The guy looks lean and mean.

Haven't seen enough from big JC to warrant a first team place next week, it's all well and good turning it on the league but I think he's got to realise, he's got to do it week in week out, I hope we start with Heskey and Gabby with the two wide men coming off their flank and linking up with Heskey. Carew doesn't really offer us this option, it's why Heskey failed in his first 4/5 months IMO, we played the same game once we signed him as what we played before, i.e get the ball wide and cross it, he's not that sort of player, he needs the ball into the feet and players to move off him, he can bully defenders and has good pace as shown today, he'll be an asset this year and Yes JC is one if not my favourite player at Villa but he has to do more.

Could say the same about Agbonlahor, based on todays showing, his form will take off where it finished last season, and we'd be better going with Delfounso, he looked much brighter.

I reckon he needs to be given a chance this season, he may not have the pace of Agbonlahor, but he's far more aware of whats going on around him.

Could say the same about Agbonlahor, based on todays showing, his form will take off where it finished last season, and we'd be better going with Delfounso, he looked much brighter.

I reckon he needs to be given a chance this season, he may not have the pace of Agbonlahor, but he's far more aware of whats going on around him.

worth noting this was Gabby's first pre-season game.

To be fair to Gabby, his main attribute is his pace, and any time he knocked the ball past a defender they chopped him down or held him, just like ALbrighton as well. Their defending was so synical because they knew the ref was not going to do anything. In a premiership game their would have been endless bookings.

Like someone has pointed out, Gabby's only first game, that was Carew's 5th was it? However you are right in the fact he weren't brilliant today but the times he did get behind, he was brought down, he looked sharp early on but drifted in and out and then second half we just got dominated after a few changes and hardly got the ball. I'd say I'd play Heskey because I like the style of football we play with him in the team with the wingers coming inside and linking up with him rather than the same old get the ball wide and cross it into the box. I'd also be temped to play Young, Milner, Albrighton behind Heskey perhaps with Petrov and Delph holding, the inclusion of having a link player also means it's easier for Petrov to fit in as their will be more defensive support.

Is it me, or does Friedel look like Guzan's dad?

0,,10265~6855175,00.jpg

That is Guzan mate.

Haha that'll be why.

I just looked at the starting line up, saw Friedel's name and thought nothing of it.

Is it me, or does Guzan look like Friedel's dad?

Saw you at the game today Rob, with your lad. Liking the name of the back of the shirt. :lol:

Come and say hello next time!

i saw you too mate! walking down the steps in the holte too many people to say hello

pointed you out to the missus, she replyed is that him who does the funny pics!

Liked the look of Delph although his legs are tiny he will need to go the same work out plan Gabby looks to have been on, he has beefed up and looked good and Heskey looked in perfect shape as well

To be fair Wol, the lads only just started growing pubes :P

Seriously though...ive just got back from the pub so i didnt watch the game, but by all accounts Delph had a stormer. Did he play the whole game??

Any links to highlights??

Observations from today:

Delph shone against strong opposition and will fit into the premieship like a hand in a glove.

Albrighton will get plenty of game time this season and looks the real deal.

Clark is good enough to be our 4th choice centre back.

John Carew will have strong competition for a starting berth if Heskey can continue his pre season form. The guy looks lean and mean.

Dead on.

We still need that extra class though. Hopefully, this wee we will get it 8)