EL: Rapid Vienna a 2009/08/20 Match Thread

limpid

In this game, on the other hand, the opposition won't be as good,

Personally I feel you may be underestimating Rapid Vienna somewhat. They arent significantly worse than Wigan. This isnt some bunch of Icelandic or Eastern European no hopers, this is actually just about as hard a draw as we could have had. They have recent Champions League group stage experience and while they arent as good as they were ten years or so ago when they got to the Cup Winners Cup Final (one of two European finals in their history) they are still a really decent team. They arent brilliant for sure, but they will certainly give us a good game, and if we dont improve significantly from the weekend we'll get turned over. it will take two good performances to go through imho

I also dont agree that this si a competition we can afford to go out of. not at all. We really, really need to do well in this cup,

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this game, on the other hand, the opposition won't be as good,

Personally I feel you may be underestimating Rapid Vienna somewhat. They arent significantly worse than Wigan. This isnt some bunch of Icelandic or Eastern European no hopers, this is actually just about as hard a draw as we could have had. They have recent Champions League group stage experience and while they arent as good as they were ten years or so ago when they got to the Cup Winners Cup Final (one of two European finals in their history) they are still a really decent team. They arent brilliant for sure, but they will certainly give us a good game, and if we dont improve significantly from the weekend we'll get turned over. it will take two good performances to go through imho

I also dont agree that this si a competition we can afford to go out of. not at all. We really, really need to do well in this cup,

You're right, I may well be underestimating them. I just struggle to see how an Austrian team would stack up to a Premier League one, it's just an assumption I suppose. You make them sound quite handy, however. I still think that the pressure will be less in a Euro League game, and also due to being away from home. This team has been better away than at home for some time now.

And lastly, you say we need two good performances but the thing about football is you can play terribly and lose 1-0, and still be in it in the second leg. Not what I'd choose, but this isn't a life or death match here. That might help.

But your knowledge on Vienna is much appreciated, thanks for replying to a noob like myself.

But your knowledge on Vienna is much appreciated, thanks for replying to a noob like myself.

Dont get me wrong, they arent as good as say Hamburg or CSKA, not at the moment anyway

But they are certainly a very similar team, imo, to Slavia Prague who gave us quite a game last year

I'm expecting the same sort of game - us conceding alot of possession and territory and hoping to hit them on the break, so lets hope our keeper plays a blinder in Vienna like he did in Prague last Autumn.

Dont get me wrong, they arent as good as say Hamburg or CSKA, not at the moment anyway

But they are certainly a very similar team, imo, to Slavia Prague who gave us quite a game last year

I'm expecting the same sort of game - us conceding alot of possession and territory and hoping to hit them on the break, so lets hope our keeper plays a blinder in Vienna like he did in Prague last Autumn.

All I have seen from Rapid fans is they expect a tonking and Rapid really are not that good.

Personally I have not got a clue so I hope they are right and your not.

All I have seen from Rapid fans is they expect a tonking and Rapid really are not that good.

Personally I have not got a clue so I hope they are right and your not.

Our defence is as useless as it gets. Our keeper Payer is rubbish at dealing with crosses and is not able to command his six-yard box while our full-backs Dober and Katzer are probably the slowest defenders you have ever seen in your entire life (and believe me, I watch a lot of footy). We have signed a new centre-back yesterday, 29-yo Norwegian Ragnvald Soma who is considered to be our new leader at the back, but I'm yet to be entirely convinced he'll help us immediately. With most of our centre-backs being utter rubbish he'll have to make an impact if we want to have any chance at all though.

Our main strength is midfield. The key are the tactics, whenever everyone's fit we play something like a 4-1-3-2 formation with our skipper Hofmann (most influential player, our game is built around his abilities), Boskovic (Montenegrinian international who is just back from injury) and one of Kavlak/Trimmel/Drazan on the left. Over the last couple of games our manager has decided to choose a more traditional 4-4-2 approach, and unfortunately the central midfielders in this system (Heikkinen and young Austrian Pehlivan) are quite immobile and absolutely useless going forward.

Our main chance IMHO will be to attack you, because we don't have enough quality to match your attacking threat; But our attacking department could cause your defence some problems, especially if Drazan and/or Trimmel play. They are extremely paceful players, basically the opposite of our full-backs.

In the end we'll only have a chance to progress if we play you off the park at home. I don't see any hope in hell away from home, especially considering our abysmal performance away at Cyprus in the last round. Horrible to watch, if this is anything to go by you'll probably beat us 5-0 at Villa Park.

Squad has been announced on the OS:

Villa have revealed the squad to travel to Vienna for the first leg of their Europa League play-off.

Martin O'Neill has a 22-man party to pick from as they gear up for Thursday's clash with Rapid in the Hanappi Stadium.

Goalkeepers

Brad Friedel

Brad Guzan

Andy Marshall

Defenders

Curtis Davies

Nicky Shorey

Habib Beye

Carlos Cuellar

Eric Lichaj

Ciaran Clark

Shane Lowry

Midfielders

Steve Sidwell

Ashley Young

James Milner

Marc Albrighton

Fabian Delph

Stiliyan Petrov

Nigel Reo-Coker

Craig Gardner

Forwards

John Carew

Gabby Agbonlahor

Nathan Delfouneso

Emile Heskey

I would play one goal-keeper and 10 defenders,

but since we don't have that many,

it's going to have to be this:-

---------------------Friedel----------------------

Lichaj-------Davies--------Cuellar--------Beye

Albrighton---Petrov-----Reo-coker-----Milner

---------------Young-----------------------------

----------------------------Carew---------------

Since Carew has hert his ickle toe

---------------------Friedel----------------------

Lichaj-------Davies--------Cuellar--------Beye

Albrighton---Petrov-----Reo-coker-----Milner

---------------Young-----------------------------

--------------------------Delfouneso-------------

I'll say it again, send some kids and get out of it as quick as we can. All this will do is tire out our stupidly small squad.

Oh yeah, please. :)

btw. I don't understand why English football fans (and you guys specifically) appear to care so little about the European Cup. For us, it's pretty much the highlight of the season to be able to compete against foreign teams and support our club in stadiums we've never played in. (especially since there are only 10 clubs in our league, so we are playing against the same teams over and over again. ;))

My line up would be:

Guzan

Beye

Cuellar

Davies

Lowry

Albrighton

NRC

Young

Gardner

Milner

Carew

But MON will line up:

Guzan

Beye

Cuellar

Davies

Shorey

Milner

Petrov

Sidwell

Young

Agbonlahor

Heskey

I'll say it again, send some kids and get out of it as quick as we can. All this will do is tire out our stupidly small squad.

btw. I don't understand why English football fans (and you guys specifically) appear to care so little about the European Cup. For us, it's pretty much the highlight of the season to be able to compete against foreign teams and support our club in stadiums we've never played in. (especially since there are only 10 clubs in our league, so we are playing against the same teams over and over again. ;))

Some of us love European football

I'm hoping our manager shares that love, but last season he didnt

Oh, the match is on Thursday....damn, I thought it was a Tuesday?

Anyway, hey Levi, I've been average...and pulling for the Yankees as always.

Good to hear from you.

I'll be more vocal once the season starts.

Exactly, what's the point of even trying to get anywhere when we know when it comes to the crunch, after we've suffered injuries and fatigue picked up in Europa League, we'll effectively 'pull out' when the time comes. Best to just get out of it now.

I'd love to be able to compete too but the manager has failed spectacularly in creating anything even resembling a squad.

A lot of us do really care. I'd love to win this trophy. I think there's two things going on.

1.Defeatism. 'Our squad is small so what's the point, we'll just screw all of our chances.' These people do have a point, but I think no one knows what the future holds, so why give up? We may survive until Christmas and get in 5 players in some freak transaction, allowing us to challenge on all fronts. You never know. Submission is for the weak.

2. The Premier League is so hyped that people think it's all that matters. Some people would rather finish fifth than get to the Europa League final. I think it's mental, but it's a product of the ridiculous hype the English surround their league with.

As for me, I say bring it on. I love learning about new clubs I know nothing about, and I think it's a privilege to play in Europe. At the same time, if we go out early I won't miss it hugely. I would like to see one cup run this year though.