PL: Wigan h 2009/08/15 Match Thread

limpid

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been chatting to a couple of neighbours. 1 an ST and his brother.

I think I've moved to Newcastle, Martinez is Keegan and Shearer rolled into 1, liked Bruce but think Martinez will play attractive passing football and has great contacts for unknown Spanish players who will move them on.

Hmmmm "attractive passing football" - remind me , who wittered on about that last season

How about this for a line-up then

----------------------Friedel-----------------------

Beye--------Davies--------Cuellar--------Shorey

Albrighton-----Petrov-------Delph---------Milner

--------------A.Young-------Carew---------------

Bench: Guzan, Lichaj, Agbonlahor, Reo-Coker, Sidwell, Gardner, Delfouneso.

We should win this game. Our manager has taken three years to get the team moulded. Martinez has had 3 months and has lost a number i=of influential players

I am extremely concerned that we go into the match having not replaced players or strengthened in terms of numbers but I am still confident of a win

I think he will pick

---------------Friedel

Beye----Davies------Cuellar-------Shorey

Milner---NRC---------Petrov--------Young

----------Heskey------Carew

Milner-------Petrov---------Delph----------Young

--------------Gabby--------Carew---------------

Milner-------Petrov---------Delph----------Young

--------------Gabby--------Carew---------------

This. Although I wouldn't expect Gabby or Petrov to play the full 90, Gabby only played one game and Petrov has been injured.

weve got a poor record against wigan at VP since they got promoted, which is strange because weve beaten them away the last 2 years. hopefully we can sort it tomorrow.

defence is obvious- beye,cuellar, davies and shorey, freidal in goal

midfield will be interesting. if he goes 442 i would like to see NRC partnering Stan, i think we need NRCs energy and drive in that formation. not sure he will start delph but he will be on the bench.

upfront i think on preseason form Heskey deserves to start to be honest. i saw JC against scotland and he still looked short of match sharpness although he improved as the game went on. that was against 10 men though and if he is not sharp JC is poor in the prem league. wont be long before hes starting and banging them in though! havent seen how gabbys playing but hopefully hes rested and raring to go. i reckon he might start with heskey.

I'm worried.

Our defence is weak, no matter what people say, with it presumably being Beye , Davies, Cueller and Shorey

I don't know too much about this Scotland fella but from all accounts he is fast, strong, powerful and knows where the net is. The perfect combination to get past our back 4.

I think we will score, however, I think they will. Personally, I think it all depends on whether Carew is on fire.

Prediction 1-2 (2-2 if Carew is on fire)

Paulandonya,

Amazing, IMO.

You critisice our defence yet there defence is led by Bramble, they've lost their best midfielder and yet you make no comment on that.

Just from one comment:

------------Kirkland-----------

Melchiot--Bramble----Scharner--Figueroa

Koumas---Thomas-----Watson----Jordi Gomez

Rodallega---Scotland

-------------------------------------------------------------

Alot of them are very poor players to be honest.

Why is it amazing ?

Davies and Cueller are lumbersome , they have bought a powerful quick forward.

Yes they have lost cattermole, but we have lost Barry and maybe even Petrov for tomorrow - so that evens itself up. I also rate Martinez very highly and was actually looking forward to seeing how Swansea did before he went - and their players will be trying to prove a point to him.

As just said, we haven't beaten them for 4 yrs - so why is it amazing I am worried ?

Sorry mate but I don't share your enthusiasm for this season - sorry you don;t agree but their it is. I see a back four that with the exception of Luke Young for Beye (which arguably makes us weaker) was absolutely tore apart last season and god forbid if it is still the back 4 for next week because we were lucky to get away with 5 in March !.

I'm worried.

Our defence is weak, no matter what people say, with it presumably being Beye , Davies, Cueller and Shorey

I don't know too much about this Scotland fella but from all accounts he is fast, strong, powerful and knows where the net is. The perfect combination to get past our back 4.

I think we will score, however, I think they will. Personally, I think it all depends on whether Carew is on fire.

Prediction 1-2 (2-2 if Carew is on fire)

The same defence that last year was only conceding 1 against West Ham etc is now going to concede 2 against Wigan? ALL CB pairings take time, Cuellar - Davies has shown me enough in pre-season to warrant at least one game before we decide they are hopeless together.

Not all replacements have to be new signings you know. I would love it if, next week we shut Liverpool out and sneak a 1-0. Then what? Is the defence still poor because it hasn't got a new face in the middle? Some players take time, and partnerships certainly take time.