Peace Cup - Porto - 2009/07/31 - Ratings and reactions.

LancsVillan

I don't know what's with all the harsh critisiscm on Reo-Coker.

I know he gives the ball away a fair whack but can't you see how more balance and solidness he gives the side. To say he gives the ball away everytime is harsh, these reasons for me are what makes him perfect for our side:

1. He don't get moved out of position or beaten, if a midfielder tries to go past him, it's like there trying to run through a brick wall, LAST YEAR, Petrov although his great footballing qualities was our last defensive midfielder and midfielders easily go past him because he's not great defensivly, which meant midfielders running at our defence, which means defence gets dragged out of position = goals, goals, goals.

2. Even if he wins the ball and gives it straight back, he's losing it in higher areas of the pitch and IMO, Will actually WIN the ball around 10 more times than Petrov and about 6 of those, he will play the ball short to our player. People critiscize his passing because they want too....he could win the ball 20 times, 13/14 of those times he will pass it short and we will keep it, the other 6/7 times he might give it away with a loose pass looking to go forward, then people say about how crap his passing is, yet does it matter if his passing is poor, that's not what he's there to do is it, he's there to tackle and drop the ball off which most of the time he does, people go on about the second half, but we were defending a 2-0 lead with 10 men and not too much movement, at times he had to go for a slide rule pass, especially with Ash upfront who rarely will back up to a defender and try to hold the ball up, like Carew and Heskey which makes less options for Coker.

3. His energy and hard work along with Sidwell means we win the ball in far higher areas and cause for other teams to give the ball away in areas where we can quickly break, last year we used to never win the ball in midfield, only in defence which meant we had to build our attacks from the back with other teams already having there midfield and defence lined up. Where as if we win the ball in midfield, we can get the ball quickly to the likes of Ash and Mark who can run at defences, very much like the 07/08 season where we played our best football and that's because we win the ball more. Especially home matches, when teams often come to Villa and look to keep the ball and make sure when they lose it high up the pitch they can set up defensivly, where as if Reo-Coker plays, then we pressurise teams far better and win the ball in better areas and give the away team no time to be ready.

I'm currently stuck in Orlando airport waiting for my flight which has been delayed 6 hours back to Gatwick, regular internet access has been scarce over the last few weeks but its great to see we are beating big name teams and are in a European competition's final! (Sort of)

When Shorey was subbed last night I thought he came off too quickly. Robbo tossed something to him, obviously hoping he would drop it, but instead Shorey caught it cleanly and continued walking almost briskly off the pitch. Robbo patted him on the head but reading between the lines there's no smoke without fire and once again the management should take draconian measure against Shorey but probably won't.

:wink:

Oh and Guzan was almost perfect.

Yeah Camoranesi had a good game tonight. Giovinco looks like a real talent. Just watching that on goltv online. A number of times the commentator said something which really warms the heart....

When watching Juventus vs Real Madrid:

'And Aston Villa awaits the winner in the final'.

How many times are we ever going to hear that? **** get in there!

.....**** good job I never heard that when I was watching - I'd have shot my load..... and people get barred for that in my local boozer...

I didn't get a chance to see the match unfortunately, but what was Guzan's "No Goal for you" thing about? It sounds brilliant

He played well all match, making quite a few top saves. The American commentators were getting pretty hyped in general and were talking as if Guzan was a brick wall in goal (which he practically was!) and, when he pulled off a good save in the second half, the commentator shouted "NO GOAL FOR YOU!"

Made me chuckle.

thrilled with the win against a top cl side. ok it wa sonly a friendly hwoever they looked liek they were really trying to win and this was nowhere near our strongest side.

bring on juve be a very tough game.

Haven't seen any of the matches but do people who have seen them think NRC and SS could be a possible midfield pairing this season? Judging on the reports from other people I wouldn't be too worries if we dont get another CM in.

NRC looks a different player playing in his proper position. He really has reminded me that he can be beneficial to us. His is definitely the Makelele role and nothing else, so those who accuse him of poor passing are correct, but while they ignore the rest of his contribution, I'd only remind them that much better teams than us have won competitions and leagues using someone in that (limited) role. Sidwell played well against Porto and once again showed he has an eye for goal but we really need an accomplished passer in centre midfield and I'm not sure either of them can fulfil that role. Perhaps that's what Downing's role will be. But one thing's for sure. I'm much less enthusiastic about selling NRC to the likes of Sunderland than I was before the Peace Cup started and that's credit to him.

The first goal was really good, started from Guzan rolling the ball out

Sort of like a budget Gabby vs Bolton cos it had a long ball to Carew in the middle, but it's good to see us doing that sort of thing without needing to be on the break against two defenders

NRC gives us huge drive through the midfield. A number of times he took the ball on his own from the back third to the front third, drawing players with him.

Even if he loses the ball a bit this is still better than hoofing it straight down the pitch because it invites the ball straight back onto us.

I think a NRC / Petrov combination could work with Petrov given a more attacking role.

When Dennis Mortimer first arrived at Villa in 1976 this was more or less what he was like. His passing in fact was OK at that time but he used to charge upfield and then not know quite what to do when he got there. But he didn't half use to relieve pressure on our defence by doing this and drawing players with him. Gradually his game developed, but even before then he was never a player to get bogged down in a purely defensive role. Those who only saw his later years at Villa will of course disagree.

And NRC also strikes me as a real never-say-die worker, just like Sir Dennis.