Peace Cup - Porto - 2009/07/31 - Ratings and reactions.

LancsVillan

That's the frustrating thing about NRC, he runs and runs and breaks up play then immediately returns possession to the oppositon.

Like I said win the ball give it to the best midfield player, trouble is Villa don't have him yet. At Chelsea Makalel won it gave it to Lampard simple. Nige is doing his bit but when he wins the ball he don't have many options along side him.

Exactly!!! This is the area MON is working on (Transfer wise) I hope

Guzan - Absolutely phenominal. His saves were confident, little fuss, and when he did have to make reaction saves bloody hell did he make them.

Cuellar - Monster. I've said since his first performances he can tackle, and he certainly showed it today, some brilliant interceptions, some good reading too. He'll be an asset, and he'll prove the doubt in him is unfounded. Also a calming influence when it kicked off, good to see.

Davies - Taken off early, looks the weak link still but I think if he grows in confidence with Carlos he's got it to be a great defender.

Lichaj - Not there yet. But not bad.

Shorey - Barely noticed him, when I did it was generally good stuff. Did notice in the one shot of an offside trap we'd played, the other 3 stayed in formation and he simply sauntered back. He wasn't being tested but I'd sooner he kept that kind of thing up even so.

Sidwell - Much better. Involved all over the shop, lots of sterling defensive work, and a nicely taken goal. He can do it, lets hope he does.

NRC - If he had a little bit more skill, he'd be amazing. But he doesn't. He's fantastic for energy but he's very much one for the bench and, when the time comes, the transfer list. Until then, he's useful enough.

Young - Didn't do a whole lot, quite night. First half he was involved more, but still not loads from him.

Albrighton - Marky Mark provided the spark once again. Still slightly raw but he's talented and confident, loved seeing him trying new things, like cutting in from the corner of the box and trying it closer in, in-swinging on his left. Will go far.

Carew - Quiet. Couldn't really keep hold of the ball but whenever he did have any time they completely surrounded him. Not his night.

Heskey - Scored the first with a nice falling finish, and lead the line fairly well. The sending off was uncharacteristic, and I think he was provoked, he gestured an elbow as he went off and I suspect there may have been words said. Still, stupid of him, not helped by Porto's playacting.

Porto - What a bunch of simpering nonces. rocket polishers to a man, dirty petulant diving nancys. Certainly don't like losing, words removed.

Great stuff. I really can't say enough how good that centre of defence was tonight. Cuellar and Guzan especially were near inpenetrable. And Clark stepped up with seeming glee too.

Absolutely

Nail on head. I'd be slightly more complimentary towards Young's performance but other than that I fully agree.

Very pleased!

Guzan was absolutely immense. Very commanding too.

Also highly impressed with Cuéllar and Clark. Davies hasn't been playing well for a while now and we looked steady with those two at the back. Obviously Clark isn't ready to fill Laursen's boots just yet though, in case anyone thinks that's what I'm suggesting!

I'm really not a fan of Heskey, but I thought he played well until his sending off. Should have remained calm - whatever was said to him, he's a professional and should have been able to ignore it. That said, I'm sure it wasn't something particularly nice judging by the attitudes of the Porto players. Disgusting.

Sidwell and NRC were quietly effective in the middle again, but NRC still lacks in passing ability and we need to retain the ball better as a team, which NRC certainly doesn't help with.

Lichaj still looked fairly out of his depth at times but was never majorly caught out and had a decent game. Shorey played quite well, too. Albrighton looked very impressive but faded as I expected, and Young was his influential self whilst on the pitch. Carew was quiet, in general.

Well done Villa!

Clark nearly scored as well - hit the bar with a scorching header!

I'm only teasing but tx goodness some on VT get it totally wrong with their predictions.....

:lol:

I'm not going to be able to forget that, am I? :lol:

I shall keep my horrendously incorrect predictions to myself in future! :P

Awesome tonight. Very pleased with this result. Just got a couple of observations really.

Lichaj needs a lot more development but is doing OK.

Albrighton doesn't get involved all that much but when he does it's usually a stonking ball into the box.

Reo-Coker and Sidwell actually works quite well in midfield. Both of them looking a bit more at home when they are playing now. Nice footwork by Sidders for his goal and never a penalty on Nige.

Clark looked good. like somebody said, I didn't really notice he was there whihc can only be good.

Heskey looked good after he scored, definitely a confidence player. Then got sent off to bring it back down to Earth again!

Side note; Where do people get the streams with American commentary from? I use http://p2p4u.net/ to get golTV but all I can find are links to crazy Spanish/Mexican shouters.

It's ridiculous compared to what should be said, but I love American commentary My favourite being a clip when JPA scored for New York; "The take. The spin. The fire. Upper 90. Goal." Love it!

This business of Reo-Coker and his poor passing seems to be a bit of a fixation in the North West. I well remember one thread at the tail end of last season in which one or two were asking why NRC wasn't getting more chances being invaded by one of them saying "All hail the great saviour Reo-Coker" or something along those lines.

Passing isn't his strong point. It wasn't with Makelelé either. But some seem to have decided he can do nothing right, if that isn't too much of an exaggeration on my part.

No spot on. Most managers have a certain role for each player, with MON he has a definative role for each player. Move away fron the given role and your out the team. That's why Sidwell was out most of last season. Stick to your role in the TEAM and you will play even with poor form as long as you do your JOB. NRC is at long last doing his so I think MON will not be to consurned about a stray pass now and again.

Anyway enough of the midfield for now. What a good performance by the boys. 4 or 5 years ago Villa would have been beaten even before we had kicked off. One site of Porto and we would have gone to bits. So well done again to the lads and lets win something this season.

The ref was **** awful, got the 2 big decisions right but how he got there was wrong! Heskey was clipped in the face then pushed the porto players face, but the ref didnt see it and gave the throw, the pen was an all dayer imo but so was the foul on nrc before it, its a bit shit they were looking for cards, herds wasnt a foul but got the whole bench out, and once again us fans deserved it my voice has long gone! But im in the air for the final :(

This business of Reo-Coker and his poor passing seems to be a bit of a fixation in the North West....
I'll fess up as a North West dweller to feeling the ability to pass the ball to a team mate is something I think is important. I'll also say that, though I didn't see the game tonight, I've been saying on here how much better I think NRCs game is now than it was when he joined us - I did see the game on tuesday, and I felt that though he still gave the ball away from time to time, rather needlessly, generally by keeping it simple he did really well.

If he's reverted to old habits of head down, then that's a shame, because I do think he's a much much wiser player than he was when we bought him.

His work rate and energy in knitting things together, particularly when we're under pressure are good attributes and something other players can't really give us.

But surely it's not so bad to want a player, when he wins the ball, to keep hold of it for the team? And he has been doing that more and more of the time (whatever happened tonight).

and imo nrc could be in a midfield 3 of pirlo and fabregas and still be shit! Decision making is awful, 1 more season then bannan will be our cm imo
No way is that happening.

My ratings:

Absolutely bloody amazing - Guzan (Keep it up little Brad, and you'll soon find yourself in our goal on a regular basis)

Excellent - Cuellar (starting to look the player I thought we were buying and can't say how much that pleases me)

Very good - Albrighton, Clark

Good enough - NRC, Heskey, Sidwell, Shorey

OK, I guess, due to his young age and little experience - Lichaj

Downright disappointing - Carew, Young, Davies (wasn't on for long though)

So, Cuellar and Distin then, with Davies, A.N.Other and Clark as backup? I'd be pleased with that.

The ref was **** awful, got the 2 big decisions right but how he got there was wrong! Heskey was clipped in the face then pushed the porto players face, but the ref didnt see it and gave the throw, the pen was an all dayer imo but so was the foul on nrc before it, its a bit shit they were looking for cards, herds wasnt a foul but got the whole bench out, and once again us fans deserved it my voice has long gone! But im in the air for the final :(

The ref was weak and he was 'played' by the f**king masters of it. Portuguese footballers are THE worst cheating b_stards on the planet bar none. C.Ronaldo, Nani anyone? It's bred into them from an early age.

My ratings:

Absolutely bloody amazing - Guzan (Keep it up little Brad, and you'll soon find yourself in our goal on a regular basis)

Excellent - Cuellar (starting to look the player I thought we were buying and can't say how much that pleases me)

Very good - Albrighton, Clark

Good enough - NRC, Heskey, Sidwell, Shorey

OK, I guess, due to his young age and little experience - Lichaj

Downright disappointing - Carew, Young, Davies (wasn't on for long though)

Fully agree. Based on the performance so far in pre-season Guzan deserves a chance.

I tell you what the peace cup has been anything but peaceful! It might only be preseason but the games seem to be really competitive so far and i have found myself really getting into them and wanting us to progress. I suppose that could be something to do with the diving nancies we have faced the past two games but regardless i have enjoyed it thoroughly.

Guzan - Too early to start a bandwagon for him to be #1?!

Albrighton and Clark - excellent! Great to see young guys coming through and doing well.

Cuellar - solid and ruthless.

NRC & Sidwell partnership working well.

Heskey - wish he had chinned the guy, especially if it was a racial jibe that caused the reaction.

10 Mins left Juve up 2-1, id prefer Madrid personally. Beat them and then sign Huntelaar, VDV and Drenthe! :lol:

I've been saying for around 18 months now Nigel a compete waste of time playing centre mid. You could argue he's a waste of time as a footballer but that would be slightly harsh. He's quick, he can harass people well and stick a challenge in if the opposition player is devoid of any courage or skill; beyond that he's useless.

Not sure if his future is as a full back or even right mid? But as a central midfield player, he's a joke. Said it so many times, his touch isn't bad but he has to position himself facing the ball and NEVER takes it on the half turn opening himself up to drive forwards he traps the ball under his feet, then moves himself around it, like a child when they first learn to play football. If he doesn't get tackled or just save time and pass it to the opposition he has a dirty little habit of giving it to someone else who is under monstrous pressure by one or even two men and invariably they then lose the ball. Funny thing is, the other players must notice this. Surely in training they notice he can't do anything with it?

He breaks up our attack play just as much as he may break up the oppositions. I am not a fan. I'd say get rid but then we'd only have two fit first team centre mids. Whether he needs a move to spark his career back on track, or maybe a permanent conversion to a full back, I just cannot see him being a success at Aston Villa. I think he'll b gone within 12 months.

----------

Good stuff tonight!

Kids look very good, top attitude.

I worry about our ball retention still. Now, this is pre-season and we were playing a very good side but still I want us to keep the ball to give ourselves a rest almost. We defend for long periods, looking fairly comfortable, then break very quickly and its all rush rush, very exciting tomfoolery. Whilst that is sometimes the right thing to do in that circumstance, and it does suit our style of play, if we don't score off the attack, or win some sort of set piece up the other end we lose the ball and are then subjected to another 3 or 4 mins of defending outside our own box! Just a little thing I'd noticed about our play. We need a top midfielder coming in with Barry's ball retention qualities to try to move on in this department from last year, not in a month of Sundays can I see this happening sadly.

Sorry to have missed this - I forgot it was on, but I wouldn't have given up my Friday night for it anyway.

The main things that come across are (a) we are getting into our stride & getting a bit of momentum. Let's hope this carries over into the first few games of the season; (B) this is an ill-named competition. MON banned from the touchline for shoving the ball into an Atlante player's chest, Heskey sent off for thumping a Porto player during a general melee..."Peace Cup"?? Ha!! © It took a good 30 minutes on this thread for the negative comments to start flowing again after the shock of a win. Come on guys, you need to get in training for the new season. I thought

A friendly is one thing, but NRC was easily our worst player.
was a good recovery. Well done. 8)