Peace Cup - Porto - 2009/07/31 - Ratings and reactions.

LancsVillan

A friendly is one thing, but NRC was easily our worst player. He just cannot pass to save his life, and attack after attack broke down because he kept giving it away.

The game is great fun to watch. Great performance from Brad Jr, King Charles, and Marc

Carew was disappointing though. Impressed with young guns fighting spirit.

Imagine MON bought Hulk and play him upfront with fired up Carew. The opposition got no chance.

Giving us a bit of hope for new season :) we will win the title with maximum points.

If we win the Peace Cup do this mean we will host it next year in West Midlands. We should invite Porto and put them in same division Small Heath Alliance.

A friendly is one thing, but NRC was easily our worst player. He just cannot pass to save his life, and attack after attack broke down because he kept giving it away.

Second half stuff broke down through him, I agree. But he was doing so much work, and often had little option but to carry it and try to find only a single option. He ran his legs off and did so much good defensive/destructive stuff.

I thought he did really well througout, and I get the impression I'm not the only one.

Guzan - Absolutely phenominal. His saves were confident, little fuss, and when he did have to make reaction saves bloody hell did he make them.

Cuellar - Monster. I've said since his first performances he can tackle, and he certainly showed it today, some brilliant interceptions, some good reading too. He'll be an asset, and he'll prove the doubt in him is unfounded. Also a calming influence when it kicked off, good to see.

Davies - Taken off early, looks the weak link still but I think if he grows in confidence with Carlos he's got it to be a great defender.

Lichaj - Not there yet. But not bad.

Shorey - Barely noticed him, when I did it was generally good stuff. Did notice in the one shot of an offside trap we'd played, the other 3 stayed in formation and he simply sauntered back. He wasn't being tested but I'd sooner he kept that kind of thing up even so.

Sidwell - Much better. Involved all over the shop, lots of sterling defensive work, and a nicely taken goal. He can do it, lets hope he does.

NRC - If he had a little bit more skill, he'd be amazing. But he doesn't. He's fantastic for energy but he's very much one for the bench and, when the time comes, the transfer list. Until then, he's useful enough.

Young - Didn't do a whole lot, quite night. First half he was involved more, but still not loads from him.

Albrighton - Marky Mark provided the spark once again. Still slightly raw but he's talented and confident, loved seeing him trying new things, like cutting in from the corner of the box and trying it closer in, in-swinging on his left. Will go far.

Carew - Quiet. Couldn't really keep hold of the ball but whenever he did have any time they completely surrounded him. Not his night.

Heskey - Scored the first with a nice falling finish, and lead the line fairly well. The sending off was uncharacteristic, and I think he was provoked, he gestured an elbow as he went off and I suspect there may have been words said. Still, stupid of him, not helped by Porto's playacting.

Porto - What a bunch of simpering nonces. rocket polishers to a man, dirty petulant diving nancys. Certainly don't like losing, words removed.

Great stuff. I really can't say enough how good that centre of defence was tonight. Cuellar and Guzan especially were near inpenetrable. And Clark stepped up with seeming glee too.

Absolutely

019-cartoon-lime-joke.gif

How good was Guzan?

I was almost as nervous at the end as I would have been if it had been a 'real' European semi-final.

Guzan 9 - Outstanding. Not much chance with the penalty. "No goal for you"...

Lichaj 7 - Solid.

Cuellar 8 - Thought he looked much better.

Davies ? - Not on for long. Worryingly it looks like the shoulder problem again. This competition looks like it could prove quite costly for us in terms of injuries.

Shorey 7 - Decent game.

Albrighton 8 - I really like the look of him. Pacey, direct, aggressive. Early crosses at pace.

Sidwell 7 - Looks quite up for it. Good footwork for the goal.

Reo-Coker 7 - Energetic and gives more balance to midfield. Still not a great passer and no surprise that he gave the penalty away.

Young 6 - I wish Ashley would have a look at the way Albrighton plays. Should have done better with the chance that led to Heskey's sending off.

Heskey 7 - Decent finish. Can only assume something really unpleasant was said to make him react like that.

Carew 7 - A decent header just past the post. Looked so strong in possession though.

Subs

Clark 8 - Thought he had a great game. Forget he was playing for a while. I think that is a real compliment for a defender.

Herd - Looked hungry. Crunching early tackle he got booked for.

Weimann - Didn't have much to do except chase the defenders when down to 10 men.

Lowry - Didn't see much of him.

Bannan - Seemed to be bought on for some energy to chase the game down. Didn't get much of the ball but was effective defensively.

I know it's only a friendly but MON must be delighted to have put one over on Porto.

On tonight's evidence:

Start Guzan ahead of Friedel.

I love Petrov and think he was outstanding last season but the midfield looks much better if we are just playing 2 central midfielders with NRC and Sidwell.

Downing has probably been bought to try and give Ashley a kick up the arse. He seems to have lost his way a little bit.

The kids just might be alright. I would prefer to see Albrighton given a chance on the right ahead of any of our other options. Clark looked good too.

I know it's only a friendly but don't you think it looks a lot more positive? We've got Gabby, Milner and the Evil One to come back too. I would rather see some of the kids given a chance this year than average players bought for inflated prices. How many of you would rather see Bentley in for £10m than Albrighton coming through? Bent for £14m instead of Delfouneso? Upson for £10m instead of Clarke having a chance?

I'm all for bringing in top, top players, but I don't think it is very likely. I know it's all very Wenger of me but I would be much more excited about developing the kids.

Anyway. Bring on the final. Nice.

Walsallvilla, Sidwell made a few great interventions in his own penalty area, you must have been watching a different game to me. I thought the two players were superb in the centre, never gave the cheating, diving Porto people any time at all.

No I was watching the same game But was reacting to LancsVillan talking about NRC. I think Sidwell done better than Wednesday night but still gets caught out up field due to him playing the attacking role in midfield. As others have said the front players never held the ball up enough. My main point NRC wins the ball for us better than eneyone else in the villa team.

And what about his defending to break up , their attack after attack in the 2nd half when we where down to 10 men.

Don't mention the Pen (IMO very harsh)

That's the frustrating thing about NRC, he runs and runs and breaks up play then immediately returns possession to the oppositon.

But whilst he might give up possession, he's often 30 or 40 yards further up the pitch when he does so. It's an important distinction.

That's the frustrating thing about NRC, he runs and runs and breaks up play then immediately returns possession to the oppositon.

Like I said win the ball give it to the best midfield player, trouble is Villa don't have him yet. At Chelsea Makalel won it gave it to Lampard simple. Nige is doing his bit but when he wins the ball he don't have many options along side him.

Remember, NRC breaks the attacks up, half the time he gives it away, but we do win the ball more and also because he's so strong and quick, he doesn't get midfielder running round him like last year meaning the defence don't get dragged out of position, so NRC could not touch the ball all game and make say only 5 tackles but he will always do a better defensive job than Petrov, because NRC doesn't let anything past him in the midfield.

Like I said win the ball give it to the best midfield player, trouble is Villa don't have him yet. At Chelsea Makalel won it gave it to Lampard simple. Nige is doing his bit but when he wins the ball he don't have many options along side him.

Oh I agree, if we can get him to immediately offload the ball to Petrov or a creative midfielder, then it's brilliant. But sometimes he doesn't look up, or misplaces even the shortest of passes.

But whilst he might give up possession, he's often 30 or 40 yards further up the pitch when he does so. It's an important distinction.

Sometimes, yes. And his charging runs are good, but there's almost always no end product. Yes it's good that we're further up the pitch, but we've still lost possession. That's why he's frustrating. I'd rather we had passing midfielders who could advance 30 or 40 yards up the pitch quickly and then still keep the ball and mount an attack rather than inviting more pressure. We're poor at holding possession. Although as I said, NRC is very good at breaking up possession and it'll be difficult to find a midfielder with his destroying abilities and energy who also has a fantastic creative side to their play.

This business of Reo-Coker and his poor passing seems to be a bit of a fixation in the North West. I well remember one thread at the tail end of last season in which one or two were asking why NRC wasn't getting more chances being invaded by one of them saying "All hail the great saviour Reo-Coker" or something along those lines.

Passing isn't his strong point. It wasn't with Makelelé either. But some seem to have decided he can do nothing right, if that isn't too much of an exaggeration on my part.

Very pleased!

Guzan was absolutely immense. Very commanding too.

Also highly impressed with Cuéllar and Clark. Davies hasn't been playing well for a while now and we looked steady with those two at the back. Obviously Clark isn't ready to fill Laursen's boots just yet though, in case anyone thinks that's what I'm suggesting!

I'm really not a fan of Heskey, but I thought he played well until his sending off. Should have remained calm - whatever was said to him, he's a professional and should have been able to ignore it. That said, I'm sure it wasn't something particularly nice judging by the attitudes of the Porto players. Disgusting.

Sidwell and NRC were quietly effective in the middle again, but NRC still lacks in passing ability and we need to retain the ball better as a team, which NRC certainly doesn't help with.

Lichaj still looked fairly out of his depth at times but was never majorly caught out and had a decent game. Shorey played quite well, too. Albrighton looked very impressive but faded as I expected, and Young was his influential self whilst on the pitch. Carew was quiet, in general.

Well done Villa!

Clark nearly scored as well - hit the bar with a scorching header!

I'm only teasing but tx goodness some on VT get it totally wrong with their predictions.....

:lol: