Peace Cup - Atlante - 2009/07/29 - Ratings and reactions.

OutByEaster?

I missed the game due to work, but 3-1 sounds like a good win so fair play to the lads.

Unless im mistaken that scoreline takes us through to the next round. Do we know who we are playing?

There was a lovely moment near the end when we were playing out time. Right under Robertson's nose Albrighton rolled a ball down towards the corner flag and the old Forest winger Robertson applauded.

Except on top of that it went to a Villa player.. Reo-Coker, Young and Cuéllar were also very impressive.

He applauded because it was a good pass. He intended on reaching Weimann with it.

Guzan - 8 - Very solid and some impressive saves.

Lichaj - 6 - I like his workrate but I have absolutely no confidence in his abilty to stop a marauding winger.

Davies - 6 - Scarily back to the pub player we saw at the start except for a good block.

Cuéllar - 8.5 - That's the player we thought we'd signed. Looked every bit the leader and on this showing he definitely has a future at the heart of our defence. There will be sterner tests though - like on Friday for example..

Shorey - 6 - Almost invisible and made some poor decisions during the game

Young - 7.5 - Took his goal very well and did enough for a pre-season match. Was a little underwhelming though and I'd have thought he could beat this lot on his own if the mood took him.

Sidwell - 6 - Didn't really do enough for me.

Reo-Coker - 8.5 MOTM - Was everywhere. In our box, in their box, breaking play up, laying it off. Still running like a train later into the game. Considering it was touching 90 degrees, his stamina was phenomenal. On this showing you'd hate to lose him, or was he putting himself in the shop window? Very impressed.

Petrov - 6 - Didn't really do much while he was on. Vila were poor in the early stages and ironically didn't improve until Stan went off injured.

Albrighton - 9 MOTM - A ferocious goal to equalise, a delicious cross for the winner. Bags of energy and endevour. A refreshing enthusiasm to get forward and no little effort in defending either. Really showed we could have quite a player on our hands here and has certainly given O'Neill another option off the bench in the coming season. Deserves his MOTM 'award' here as his introduction turned the game.

Heskey - 4 - Absolutely awful. Did nothing and was a total waste of space I'm sorry to say.

Carew - 7.5 - Everything Heskey isn't. Right place, right time for the goal. Calmness and technique for the finish. A handful for defenders and held the ball up well.

I missed the game due to work, but 3-1 sounds like a good win so fair play to the lads.

Unless im mistaken that scoreline takes us through to the next round. Do we know who we are playing?

porto, unless beziktas beat them, then beziktas

While it was a good performance tonight during the second half, I think it further shows the fact that our squad is very small. MON needs to start signing people and despite the win I am very worried right now. They way we performed tonight just won't cut it in the PL (even in the second half). It was only a friendly though so hopefully the lads will be more up for it during the season. Plus we will hopefully have a larger squad to create more competition and to have more quality.

Anyway, Albrighton impressed me once again tonight. He really is doing well right now and hopefully he can continue to do so. Davies had a shocker, although I still feel there is more to come from him. NRC did alright, although his passing ability does worry me as it will cost us against better opposition. I don't suppose he needs to be brilliant at passing for the holding role, yet it concerns me slightly. Last but not least I thought Guzan performed well. Oh, plus I still think Sidwell has got a lot to prove. Hopefully the Reading days will come back asap.

Lichaj - 6 - I like his workrate but I have absolutely no confidence in his abilty to stop a marauding winger.

Exactly what I was thinking. Looks more like an athlete then a footballer.

Cuellar was impressive today though. Maybe he is more confident down there where he knows the locals :lol:

He applauded because it was a good pass. He intended on reaching Weimann with it.
Watching it on a stream there was a close-up and I thought that's what Robbo was applauding. I wasn't really looking upfield. But yes, you're right. It was me who was thinking nice one son, long ball into the corner, but in fact it wasn't really going for the flag as I'd assumed.

Here

3 good finishes and an excellent cross by Albrighton for the 3rd.

Oh, and can anyone with an A in Spanish (sled?) please explain to me what the commentator is on about, talking about Michael Johnson and Manchester City?

El H

Sorry. I can just catch "rumor" and he says Johnson will have no place at City, but that bit of the clip omits the beginning of the sentence. And he sounds like a Mexican. Haven't had the pleasure of listening to too many Hispano-Americans lately!

A very shaky start not helped by Petrov's knock, NRC out wide and Davies looking nervy....

And considering we went one down whilst playing some shocking football, this is a real result - NRC switching to the middle was the impetus alongside bringing on Albrighton... Surely MON does not need another winger now as he looks very very promising indeed and will be good competition/back up for Milner

Guzan had a great game and put in a performance to make Big Brad sweat a little!

In the end, we played some great football, the short touch passes were beginning to find their mark and the off-the-ball running was getting better and better.

Three good goals, all well taken and a superb comeback!

My ratings -

Guzan. 8. Kept us in the match

Shorey. 6. Still unsure and looks uncomfortable on the ball.

Davies. 6. He looked good against Malaga, not so tonight!

Cuellar. 8. Did everything expected of him - great stuff.

Lichaj. 6.5. Shaky start but did well against a tricky LM.

Young. 7.5. Got into the game as it progressed - great header!

Sidwell. 6. Absent for long periods of the game - silly fouls too.

NRC. 8. What an engine! Commited and energetic!

Albrighton. 8.5 (MOTM) Changed the game, brilliant!

Carew. 7. Took his goal well, made himself available always.

Heskey. 6. 2nd touch was always a tackle...

Subs:

Lowry. 6. Didn't have much to do

Osbourne. 7. Played very well and broke up the midfield.

Weimann. 6.5. Did well with little time and on his own.

Herd. 6. Didn't have much time.

I agree with these ratings - wasn't impressed with Sidders again but the players you highlighted as being good were the ones I noticed as well.