Crap food that you absolutely love to eat

trimandson

If I ever go to New York, I'll have to give this a try, just for the lulz

L83773.jpg

Well the only one in the City of New York is in JFK's Terminal #4... otherwise Panda Express is pretty much limited to malls.

They have a panda express in Birmingham, South Yardley.

Fast food "restaurants" are not restaurants.

:lol: :lol:

Humour him, Legov, he puts his best suit on and everything.

If I ever go to New York, I'll have to give this a try, just for the lulz

L83773.jpg

Well the only one in the City of New York is in JFK's Terminal #4... otherwise Panda Express is pretty much limited to malls.

Don't care, must eat :P

Edit: I mention NYC because a few years ago one of my friends told me about trying Panda Express after returning from JFK. He might have been talking about Boston though, come to think of it - are there any in Boston?

Edited by legov

Panda Express is pretty much limited to shopping mall food courts (which an airport terminal is, basically). There aren't many in the cities, just in the suburban malls. Because the malls are for the most part owned/managed by developers who own/manage hundreds of malls, it's easier for Panda Express, being the designated Chinese fast food chain, to work out leases for all of them (and what food court would be complete without Chinese?). You see a similar dynamic with Sbarro pizza.

In both cases, you've got a large number of mom & pop outlets (generally immigrant owned and staffed, though with pizza, it's just as likely to be Greeks pretending to be Italians or Turks pretending to be Greeks pretending to be Italians, though I suspect that the old tradition in Greece of using the family savings to buy a Pizza House in America, have every member of the family over the age of 12 work 80 hours a week for 15-20 years, and come back to Greece with a few hundred thousand dollars saved up is more appealing than it was 5-10 years ago!) that have far lower labor costs and generally better quality. Panda Express and Sbarro (and Pizza Hut) know not to compete with that.

Edited by leviramsey

Of course, any relation between Chinese (even Cantonese) cuisine and American Chinese cuisine is somewhat coincidental. Consider General Tso's chicken:

General Tso's chicken (sometimes Governor Tso's chicken, General Gau's chicken, General Tao's chicken, General Tsao's chicken, General Tong's chicken, General Tang's chicken, General Cho's chicken, General Chau's chicken, or simply General's Chicken) is a sweet, slightly spicy, deep-fried chicken dish that is popularly served in North American Chinese restaurants. The dish was unknown in China and other lands home to the Chinese diaspora before it was introduced by chefs returning from the United States.

The analogue in the UK would of course be found in Indian cuisine, in the form of chicken tikka masala, which is most likely an invention of the Indian diaspora in Britain.

A similar thing has happened with [southern] Italian cuisine, where a variant altered to suit the tastes of those outside the community comes to define it. Although pizza is a descendant of a few Italian dishes, its canonical forms are more or less completely American; demand from American tourists in Italy for authentic pizza led to pizzerias opening. Later, American entrepreneurs cloned these Italian pizzerias to build franchise chains serving a more authentic pizza! (Pizza is basically an early-20th century New York or New Haven invention)

Edited by leviramsey
  • Like 1

I've heard of General Tso's chicken. It's always reminded me of a Cantonese dish we have here called Gou Lou Yok, which is basically the same thing, but made with pork instead.

Â