Crap food that you absolutely love to eat

trimandson

Did anyone see the Horsemeat programme on BBC3 last night? It was terrible, apart from one interesting part. They took the usual friday night takeaway foods away to test the meat, to find out what exactly it was. Lamb kebab was just lamb. Beefburgers had pork and beef in them, just the bits and bobs, as you would expect. Hot dogs were made of just blood. Yummy blood! Then there was the Lamb in Black Bean Sauce from a chinese. The results came back with no lamb content at all. Nor beef. Nor chicken, horse, or goat. In fact, they could not identify what it was. I guess the old adage about chinese takeaway's having cats and dogs in the freezer may be true after all :puke:

So basically, the only thing we should trust to eat is a kebab?

The world's gone mad.

• 3 weeks later...

Ed's Diner: ok not cheap but the bacon and cheese burger . Stunning . Had one today. Already craving another

9.5 / 10 , best burger I've had in a decade since Bahrain Fuddruckers

Ed's Diner: ok not cheap but the bacon and cheese burger . Stunning . Had one today. Already craving another

Try the homemade burger company in brindly place right next to the canal,a burger with cheese and bacon will cost about £20, but its the best burger you will ever eat

Home made burgers tonight , lean mince, caramelised onion, soy sauce, Worcester sauce, A1 steak sauce, natural yoghurt, cornish rock salt & cracked black pepper mix.

Topped with Swiss cheese and smokey streaked bacon, lettuce, beef tomato, gherkin slice, mustard and ketchup . All on a fresh sesame bun.

May have another about 11 ish.

• Like 1

Try the homemade burger company in brindly place right next to the canal,a burger with cheese and bacon will cost about £20, but its the best burger you will ever eat

yeah they charge for the chips and sides seperately so its does start to add up, you get a voucher (buy one get one for a £1 i think) at cineworld

also try gourmet burger kitchen which is down the back of the bull ring, dont think the staff are as good in there though

The Ed's diner I used was in London but there's one in Selfridges Birmingham.

Big Bubbas Burger £6.95

Onion Rings £3.25

Large Diet Coke £2.35

Server : Raquel

Casheir : Brigitta

Service not included - our staff accept compliments but they prefer tips

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from the local diner after eating the monstrosity implied by this stack:

Slice of bread

Swiss cheese

1/4 pound burger

Monterrey Jack cheese

Bacon

Slice of bread

Slice of American cheese

Slice of bread

Monterrey Jack cheese

1/4 pound burger

Swiss cheese

Bacon

Slice of bread

(photo forthcoming once it syncs to my Google+)

• Like 1

The Ed's diner I used was in London but there's one in Selfridges Birmingham.

Big Bubbas Burger £6.95

Onion Rings £3.25

Large Diet Coke £2.35

Server : Raquel

Casheir : Brigitta

Service not included - our staff accept compliments but they prefer tips

I've been to that. Me and the missus both had insane burgers!

It's weird though. Like the meals don't include 'fries' but you can get a combo and shizz.

Edited by StefanAVFC

• 2 weeks later...

Think this is my favourite thread on here, but always makes me hungry and wanting fatty foods..

Anyway, went to a pub for lunch the other day.. Had a double stacked burger which consisted off... 2 chicken burgers, a pulled pork "patty", 2 rashers of bacon, lettuce and firecracker sauce.. Served with chips and coleslaw. Couldn't pick it all up at once and definitely couldn't fit in mouth at once..to top it all off was only £6

Cinnamon rolls (or buns) I LOVE THEM!

Publix makes an old fashioned one that's giant and uses cream cheese icing. I haven't had one in so loooooooong. But cinnamon rolls in general, they are disgusting. Louie C.K.'s take on cinnabon is correct and yet I love em'

WATCH IT!!!

• Like 1

The audacious plan to end hunger with 3-D printed food
By Christopher Mims @mims May 21, 2013
enjoy-your-meal.jpg?w=880
Why bake when you can extrude? TNO Research

Anjan Contractor’s 3D food printer might evoke visions of the “replicator” popularized in Star Trek, from which Captain Picard was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2IJdfxWtPM. And indeed Contractor’s company, Systems & Materials Research Corporation, just got a six month, $125,000 grant from NASA to create a prototype of his universal food synthesizer.

But Contractor, a mechanical engineer with a background in 3D printing, envisions a much more mundane—and ultimately more important—use for the technology. He sees a day when every kitchen has a 3D printer, and the earth’s 12 billion people feed themselves customized, nutritionally-appropriate meals synthesized one layer at a time, from cartridges of powder and oils they buy at the corner grocery store. Contractor’s vision would mean the end of food waste, because the powder his system will use is shelf-stable for up to 30 years, so that each cartridge, whether it contains sugars, complex carbohydrates, protein or some other basic building block, would be fully exhausted before being returned to the store.

Ubiquitous food synthesizers would also create new ways of producing the basic calories on which we all rely. Since a powder is a powder, the inputs could be anything that contain the right organic molecules. We already know that eating meat is environmentally unsustainable, so why not get all our protein from insects?

If eating something spat out by the same kind of 3D printers that are currently being used to make everything from jet engine parts to fine art doesn’t sound too appetizing, that’s only because you can currently afford the good stuff, says Contractor. That might not be the case once the world’s population reaches its peak size, probably sometime near the end of this century.

“I think, and many economists think, that current food systems can’t supply 12 billion people sufficiently,” says Contractor. “So we eventually have to change our perception of what we see as food.”

There will be pizza on Mars
smrc-3d-printer-schematic.jpg?w=701&h=42
The ultimate in molecular gastronomy. (Schematic of SMRC’s 3D printer for food.)SMRC

If Contractor’s utopian-dystopian vision of the future of food ever comes to pass, it will be an argument for why space research isn’t a complete waste of money. His initial grant from NASA, under its Small Business Innovation Research program, is for a system that can print food for astronauts on very long space missions. For example, all the way to Mars.

“Long distance space travel requires 15-plus years of shelf life,” says Contractor. “The way we are working on it is, all the carbs, proteins and macro and micro nutrients are in powder form. We take moisture out, and in that form it will last maybe 30 years.”

Pizza is an obvious candidate for 3D printing because it can be printed in distinct layers, so it only requires the print head to extrude one substance at a time. Contractor’s “pizza printer” is still at the conceptual stage, and he will begin building it within two weeks. It works by first “printing” a layer of dough, which is baked at the same time it’s printed, by a heated plate at the bottom of the printer. Then it lays down a tomato base, “which is also stored in a powdered form, and then mixed with water and oil,” says Contractor.

Finally, the pizza is topped with the delicious-sounding “protein layer,” which could come from any source, including animals, milk or plants.

The prototype for Contractor’s pizza printer (captured in a video, above) which helped him earn a grant from NASA, was a simple chocolate printer. It’s not much to look at, nor is it the first of its kind, but at least it’s a proof of concept.

Replacing cookbooks with open-source recipes
mendel_small.jpg?w=1024&h=688
SMRC’s prototype 3D food printer will be based on open-source hardware from the RepRap project.RepRap

Remember grandma’s treasure box of recipes written in pencil on yellowing note cards? In the future, we’ll all be able to trade recipes directly, as software. Each recipe will be a set of instructions that tells the printer which cartridge of powder to mix with which liquids, and at what rate and how it should be sprayed, one layer at time.

This will be possible because Contractor plans to keep the software portion of his 3D printer entirely open-source, so that anyone can look at its code, take it apart, understand it, and tweak recipes to fit. It would of course be possible for people to trade recipes even if this printer were proprietary—imagine something like an app store, but for recipes—but Contractor believes that by keeping his software open source, it will be even more likely that people will find creative uses for his hardware. His prototype 3D food printer also happens to be based on a piece of open-source hardware, the second-generation RepRap 3D printer.

“One of the major advantage of a 3D printer is that it provides personalized nutrition,” says Contractor. “If you’re male, female, someone is sick—they all have different dietary needs. If you can program your needs into a 3D printer, it can print exactly the nutrients that person requires.”

Replacing farms with sources of environmentally-appropriate calories
meal_worms_3d.jpg?w=1024&h=576
2032: Delicious Uncle Sam’s Meal Cubes are laser-sintered from granulated mealworms; part of this healthy breakfast.TNO Research

Contractor is agnostic about the source of the food-based powders his system uses. One vision of how 3D printing could make it possible to turn just about any food-like starting material into an edible meal was outlined by TNO Research, the think tank of TNO, a Dutch holding company that owns a number of technology firms.

In TNO’s vision of a future of 3D printed meals, “alternative ingredients” for food include:

• algae
  • duckweed
  • grass
  • lupine seeds
  • beet leafs
  • insects
From astronauts to emerging markets

While Contractor and his team are initially focusing on applications for long-distance space travel, his eventual goal is to turn his system for 3D printing food into a design that can be licensed to someone who wants to turn it into a business. His company has been “quite successful in doing that in the past,” and has created both a gadget that uses microwaves to evaluate the structural integrity of aircraft panels and a kind of metal screw that coats itself with protective sealant once it’s drilled into a sheet of metal.

Since Contractor’s 3D food printer doesn’t even exist in prototype form, it’s too early to address questions of cost or the healthiness (or not) of the food it produces. But let’s hope the algae and cricket pizza turns out to be tastier than it sounds.

puke.gif

Â