Peace Cup: Malaga a 2009/07/25 Reaction & Ratings

RA19

Interesting that you say that, yet Young, Carew, Heskey and Petrov were also playing in there first game.

I'm just stating a fact. Even ignoring matches, our training will be weeks ahead of theirs as we start our season earlier than them. None of theirs have played matches yet, and even taking the 4 you mention out, that leaves 11 others that we used tonight. Not making a big deal out of it as that was the one main disappointment for me.

Problem is that those boring, defensive, safe, English, talentless, visionless, overpaid, underavchieving players will do better in the Premier League. We shouldn't get rid of NRC or Sidwell, we just need to add some flair and attacking class. A Merson, Zola, Bergkamp etc.

Worryingly, I actually believe if you put a couple of their players in our side for say Sidwell and/or Reo Coker we would do better!

We have too many boring, defensive, safe, english, talentless, visionless, overpaid, underachieving players and no-one to create save Young. As long as we only have Young, he will be double marked as teams know we have no other option.

Forget, Jurado, Van De Vaart, Sneijder, Moutinho, etc... Just sign any 20 year old spanish/portuguese 2nd division player, they will probably have more talent than our current bunch...

Its not just us, look how Man U got f*cked by Barca or re-watch the last 2 England vs Spain games, they just have so much more skill with the ball. Our essentially English midfield may win us praise with the press, but it will win us sweet FA at football...

I suspect frustration from our lack of activity in the transfer market has bubbled over. I can understand the frustration and I feel it, but I think it's a little premature to totally damn our 'English' midfield based on a preseason friendly. We didn't even play a settled 11 for 90 minutes, let alone a settled midfield.

To me it seemed as if MON was using this as an opportunity to blood a few of the young players and experiment with our formation (We seemed to be playing a 4-5-1 come 4-3-3 tonight). Yes, we did look toothless, but I'll wager we'll add a player or two to the squad before the season starts and hopefully we'll be alot more competative come matchday.

Hold tight.

Watched it from about the 20 minute mark and not much to get excitied about.

Pros: A few of the youngster showed some promise/

Davies aand Cuellar played 90 minutes together.

What I worry about is it is pre-season (so fitness is expected to be down) but you shouldn't forget how to play football. The Malaga players showed how to support each other when in tight areas.

Our midfield are not bad players so I have to wonder what they are being taught on the training field.

Players are improving as individuals but the teamwork and ball support seems to be getting worse. This showed towards the end of last season.

Too much space between defense and mid then mid and attack. The team really needs to work on some better tactics. As I say players shouldn't forget tactics in two months off. MON may need to look at some better coaches while he man manages.

Just got back from La Rosaleda...very tired but here is my quick 2 cents before I forget/fall asleep.

Malaga wasn't playing their best 11. The Villa weren't either, but to some things up I'd say that some players weren`t bothered (Carew, Young, Sidwel, Petrov) some were young and played very hard but made some expected mistakes (Lichaj...at fault for the goal)

Friedel: 5 Made 2 good saves...the goal was a bit "meh" he spilled a rebound a bit, but then again he shouldn't have been put in that situation

Shorey: 4 Effort was there, but he seems to get a bit scared under pressure and his passing today was pretty sad. He's a veteran player he shouldn´t be making many of the mistakes you´d expect from a youth player. Backup LB at most. If he has to play an extended amount we're screwed.

Davies: 5.5 He heads everything away, but has one or two ridiculously bad mistakes that nearly cost the team goals. In the first half he gifted a pass to Malaga that shouldve resulted in a goal. He looked shaky at times.....

Cuellar: 6.5 Solid no nonsense match. No mistakes really. Came over to save Lichaj's ass once or twice. Hope he can build on it. Possibly my MOM for the villa.

Lichaj: 5.5 Played a very solid match except for two key mistakes. Big, tough..gets forward well. Made two mistakes and inexperienced player will make....and on one Cuellar bailed him out...the 2nd 1-0. I see a lot of potential there though.

Sidwell: 4 Was he playing? WTF! Seriously...he's invisible for huge parts of the match. He's gotta be more consistent and get stuck in. Big disappointment.

Petrov: 4.5 First match back...but seriously if I saw another backwards or sideways past for him I was gonna throw up. Why the hell was he sitting in front of the defence and NRC was almost as a false left winger. WHY???? He looked like he lacked fitness and was slow.

NRC: 4.5 Good effort and motor as always...blah blah blah. But you either play him or petrov...not both. Doesnt work at all. To be honest Osbourne showed me a lot more.

A.Young: 4 Off the pace, out of position, floating around. No help from Carew who wasn't bothered. He needs to be consistent and stop diving/arguing with ref like he's Guti from Madrid or C.Ronaldo...I hate it.

Albrighton: 5.5 Lots of potential there. 100% effort like all the youngsters. Good dribbling...maybe he needs to cross more instead of trying to beat his man every time. He'll come good.

Heskey. - ouch. Hope he´s ok. It looked like he was out cold for a minute there.

JCarew 4 Put more effort into applauding the fans when we sang his song than in the match. Wasnt bothered.....I hope its just cause its his first match back. But we could all see hes not a striker that can take over and dominate a match. He needs help, and today was alone.

subs:

Osbourne 6.5: Has some class and made some good touches which surprised me cause he always gets dissed on here. Had a scoring chance but put it 15 yards over. Has to work on that. I can see him developing into a solid defensive mid if we hold onto him and are patient.

Bannan: 6 oozes class. Looked good on the ball.

The hare: - didnt get many touches

If I missed any subs sorry, it's late and im gonna get to bed.

MON has gotta sort this out. Hopefully this shows him we really need to get some quality in. I HATE to say it, but we needed a barry type player tonight to make those passes etc. It was all pass to CB to LB to DM to RB back to the keeper etc. Not too entertaining, 0 chances.

Stadium less than a third full. 6 or 7k fans max. Lots of villa fans singing but we were at both ends and not all in the same spot.

gnight, want to wake up seeing weve brought in some quality

What I worry about is it is pre-season (so fitness is expected to be down) but you shouldn't forget how to play football. The Malaga players showed how to support each other when in tight areas.
This.....some nice tippy tappy football and moving in the right direction. Their players did seem to have more vision to what was around them...maybe just the spanish style of tippy tappy.

i agree on the Ashley Young comment - it really pisses me off, always diving at moaning at the ref when it doesnt go his way; he needs to cut it out, particularly when he sometimes dives when in an excellent position to do something

Our style of football really only works when the team is in full flow, but as we saw tonight, when we arent we look as bad as Bolton tbh.

Taking into account most of our big hitters arent up to speed just yet i wasnt overly suprised. Eric, Albrighton and surpsingly Osbourne looked quite good. It was a good workout, nothing more, nothing less.

just got back from the game and it was a typical pre-season performance. Albrighton looked good and his positioning all night was excellent but no-one looked like they wanted to pass to him. Lichaj was very unlucky with his slip which led to the malaga goal, but reo-coker i thought was an excellent captain, very vocal and encouraging, especially to the young lads. Well done to the bromsgrove villans at the gol end who made all the noise all night.

Positives : Albrighton looked good.

Lichaj looked ok at RB although he did make a couple of mistakes. He also looks to have a good long throw

Negatives: We have no creativity and offered nothing up front. Our only 2 shots were from Osborne ffs

At times the defense looked to have no one to pass to in midfield and no one was trying to get on the ball and take the the game to Malaga

Looks like we will be home after the next game.

Better to have MON back in the UK anyway, on the spot to sign players left right and centre. :)

Depends on whom those players are and how many. Will he do it?

Personally im waiting for the lets wait to January line, and we all start over again :lol:

Yet another disappointment, sometimes I dont I why I bother, months ago it would of hurt to see and hear how crap we have become now I just except it, what makes it worse is that some people still think it all rosie and 'Dont worry we have 3 weeks left blar blar'

Why are people defending this result as just a pre season friendly, total bollocks,

1- pre season is about getting fitness up, you should still be able to put two passes together.

2 - Get use to it, because 3/4 of this team will be in starting 11 in 3 weeks yes 3 weeks. Most from last year that managed only 3 wins in 4 months, wait for 6th crap.

3 - Transfers, crap crap MON doesn't know his arse from his elbow on how to sign someone let alone someone half decent.

Things have got to happen fast and mean fast because at this rate we be in bottom half by end of august and would want to come to us then its a harsh reality and people need to realise this, if it looks shit, plays shit, chances are it is shit! Is there light at thend of the tunnel, yes but its fading very fast.

Rant over, off to bed, will tune in tomorrow as whats left of me that still believes and hopes for something, just anything

Didn't see the game.

Just got home and came to check the result. Very disappointed.

In a way, I am glad. Maybe if we did well, MON might think 'Hmmmm... maybe we don't need a creative midfielder after all...'

We had a major lack of creativity even WITH Barry, so I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised to hear we created practically nothing.

Please, please, PLEASE can we get someone in who can make us TICK. Pass, move into space, and be ready to get the ball back. WANT the ball, and POSE A THREAT of a killer pass. Someone who can make our forwards BELIEVE that if they made an intelligent run, the ball may actually get through to them.

On the whole not very good, however on the plus side youngsters seem to be coming on leaps and bounds and could make the step up this season.
Thank you Doug

In a way, I am glad. Maybe if we did well, MON might think 'Hmmmm... maybe we don't need a creative midfielder after all...'

We had a major lack of creativity even WITH Barry, so I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised to hear we created practically nothing.

Please, please, PLEASE can we get someone in who can make us TICK. Pass, move into space, and be ready to get the ball back. WANT the ball, and POSE A THREAT of a killer pass. Someone who can make our forwards BELIEVE that if they made an intelligent run, the ball may actually get through to them.

Can't beleive some of the over reactions to a pre season work out, in extremely high temperatures, however I do agree with this statement. The commentator in one of his more lucid moments did correctly mention the fact that all the forwards last night were given nothing to feed off, so there was little surprise we created hardly any chances! When this happens Carew (& Gabby for that matter) drop far too back....it happened time & time again in last few seasons....

We do need to add some more guile to our midfield IMO. as others have said, with that killer pass. Downing may be an option but as it looks like he'll be this years Xmas present, and not much before, then MON should consider some more options.

The reactions in this thread show once again how much some villa fans just love to have a moan.

Or have different opinions!

Unless this is the wrong forum and it is infact the Big_John_10 forum, last time i looked it wasn't!

What we should also remember is that a majority of our players are getting paid above the average annual salary every week to be professional footballers in the best league in the world, I didn't see anything tonight to suggest that a majority of them should be playing above league 1...

What a ridiculous thing to post.

Lets moan about losing a pre season game because they get paid lots of money and therefore should of course win every game they ever play in.

These games are there to get players up to match fitness, if we win great if we don't who cares.

Do you think barcelona or real madrid fans are worried and slagging off their players because they earn loads of money. I saw £80 million ronaldo jog around against shamrock rovers doing a couple of flicks every now and then, should madrid fans hammer him for not scoring goals and earning the large amounts of money he is being paid?

The reactions in this thread show once again how much some villa fans just love to have a moan.

isnt it odd how some people seem to read what is written completely differently to others?

i read it as parrotandglue wishing the players would show more commitment and basic footballing skills, to try their hardest and show pride when they put on the claret and blue, even in a pre season friendly, just as any fan of the club would do if given the chance, not

"moan about losing a pre season game because they get paid lots of money and therefore should of course win every game they ever play in"

when we beat inter milan that year 3-0 i can remember people saying oh we are gonna win the fa cup or break the champios league!! this is a pre-season game....so we were shit mon isn't stupid he maybe wanted to see how these young players coped like lichaj (i hear he played well apart from his mistake)

i'm not gonna worry as over the last three years i've seen how far we have progressed, so what if we go out of this tournament is that the end of the world ..i don't think so!!