Peace Cup: Malaga a 2009/07/25 Reaction & Ratings

RA19

This result on its own shouldn't worry anyone. But the fact that it comes on the back of barley winning a game since Jan, a manager who seems clueless in the transfer market, and the season 3 weeks away. I can honestly see us really struggling next season.

This result on its own shouldn't worry anyone. But the fact that it comes on the back of barley winning a game since Jan, a manager who seems clueless in the transfer market, and the season 3 weeks away. I can honestly see us really struggling next season.

HURRAY ! i agree with you totally !

I was at the match last night.

Firstly despite the result; it was great to be able to watch the Villa close to home, I don't get the opportunity to go to many matches at Villa Park these days.

However I feel I have been a little premature buying tickets for the Semi-Final next Friday and the Final in Seville next Sunday, looks like I'll probably be watching Malaga in the semis and Juventus or Madrid in the final :D

I know it was only a pre-season game and we shouldn't read too much into it, but still it was our 3rd pre-season game and also it is a semi-competitive tournament with a €2 Million prize and some prestigious teams taking part, so I don't subscribe to some of the excuses being banded about on here.

There should be no excuses on fitness, these guys are all professional sportsmen in great shape and just because they haven't played a competitive match for a few weeks doesn't mean that they should all of a sudden become kebab eating sloths. They have all been doing plenty of training and for the majority of them it was their 3rd pre season match, so fitness should not come into it.

Bottom line we were extremely poor, several of our players looked completely disinterested about being there, which from my point of view as a fan is unacceptable in any game, friendly or not. I hope MON gives out a bit of Fergie hairdryer treatment to the worst offenders so we might see a better showing on Wednesday night.

What was so disappointing to see for me was that we were outplayed by a very poor Malaga side who we should have dispatched with consumate ease, we lacked creativity in midfield and only mustered one wildly off target shot all night, not what you expect to see from a top Premier league club.

MON clearly knows that we need more players and has admitted as much, selling Knight only makes the problem worse, however we have 5 weeks of the transfer window left, so I'm hopeful he's going to address the issue during that time.

Positives from the night as mentioned by others were the youngsters, Albrighton was very good and Bannan showed some excellent touches, Lichaj was also promising depsite the mistake for the goal.

Most apt chant of the night: "Get your cheque book out MON"

agree with the majority view.

although its pre-season, we needed to at least draw.

a good pre-season gets the confidence up, plus the chance to play Real Madrid & Juventus. and a £2mill winner's cheque.

The only bit I've seen is Heskey getting injured so can't really comment. Of course you'd like a bit of momentum going into the season but this does not really bother me too much.

The reactions in this thread show once again how much some villa fans just love to have a moan.

Or have different opinions!

Unless this is the wrong forum and it is infact the Big_John_10 forum, last time i looked it wasn't!

There are plenty of moans that i can see as people having a different opinion, however moaning about losing a pre season game is IMO ridiculous and to me shows that some people love a moan.

Did everyone expect us to win every pre season game?

oh MON u clueless fool !

The way you change your mind i assume you'll be praising him soon.

If this result is so important and shows how are season is going to go how come no one is taking into account the games we drew and won before this one?

Every summer people have posted on here about how they think we are going to struggle, i guess it must be some sort of miracle that we managed consecutive top 6 finishes.

The reactions in this thread show once again how much some villa fans just love to have a moan.

Or have different opinions!

Unless this is the wrong forum and it is infact the Big_John_10 forum, last time i looked it wasn't!

There are plenty of moans that i can see as people having a different opinion, however moaning about losing a pre season game is IMO ridiculous and to me shows that some people love a moan.

Did everyone expect us to win every pre season game?

oh MON u clueless fool !

The way you change your mind i assume you'll be praising him soon.

If this result is so important and shows how are season is going to go how come no one is taking into account the games we drew and won before this one?

Every summer people have posted on here about how they think we are going to struggle, i guess it must be some sort of miracle that we managed consecutive top 6 finishes.

Well BJ as your rushing around telling everyone how to think, not to moan and how its wrong to care or be disappointed, its just a friendly you better hurry along and tell MON as well!

Aston Villa's Martin O'Neill disappointed by poor start to pre-season

Aston Villa's pre-season has not got off the most auspicious of starts.

The official programme for their opening match of the Peace Cup in Spain, against Malaga on Saturday night, ran a picture of Gareth Barry; Martin O'Neill was listed as Martin O'Leary; and it only took six minutes for Emile Heskey – plagued by injury since he arrived at the club in January – to be carried off on a stretcher with a head injury.

By Sandy Macaskill

Published: 3:59PM BST 26 Jul 2009

To rub it in, a sloppy goal conceded in the second half – when Brad Friedel palmed a save into the path of Malaga's Fernando – means that qualification to the semi-finals of the competition is out of their hands.

It is a real shame. A good showing here in Spain would go some way to wiping the memory of the side's nose-dive in the second half of last season, and playing against the likes of Real Madrid could only have been an excellent opportunity to gain European experience. But Villa will be flying home on Thursday unless Malaga lose their next match, against Atlante. O'Neill was unsurprisingly disappointed.

"In a game of very few opportunities, it was very disappointing to lose and as a result, qualification for the semi-finals is now out of our hands," O'Neill said. "I was expecting to win the game. I thought we would be capable of doing it. I would have liked to qualify for the next stage. It's not beyond us but it's now out of our hands."

At least Heskey's head injury is not thought to be serious and he should be fit for Atlante next week. The forward clashed heads with Malaga defender Weligton and was stretchered off after just six minutes. He will be assessed in the week but should be available for Wednesday night's game.

"Emile is feeling a lot better," O'Neill said. "He was a bit disorientated and we felt that, having come back late and only playing a few minutes of the game, it was best just to take him off and make a substitution at that time. But he is feeling much better now. We will have to monitor it each day but I don't think he would be ruled out at this stage."

Clicky

Watched the game too and agree with most. 90 minutes of my life wasted that I will never get back. Albrighton looked very promising but midfield was having a shocker. I will judge MON when the window closes as he admitted the other day that Barry needs replacing. 'The Magician' Sidwell did his usual disappering act and NRC has heart but can't pass a ball for his life. A creative, goalscoring midfielder needs to be a high priority.

Crappy game, but even if this had been a competitive match in the Europa League or whatever with the season in full swing it would have been no disgrace to lose to Málaga.

This up-and-down outfit, promoted back up to the Spanish First Division in June last year, have just finished 8th in said First Division - and in Spain the First Division is just that, the top league.

And they only finished 8th because of a poor run during the closing weeks. For some time prior to that they were hovering around 5th or 6th place.

The result means jack shit. Perhaps we should have lost by a bigger score. But that was a very good crossfield pass that led to the goal. There was just Lichaj and the Málaga player. We all know what happened next. Even so, I blame that crossfield pass.

Entertainment rating Zero, but you can say the same about a lot of pre-season kickabouts. And even with a 22.30 (Spanish time) kick off I wonder what the temperature was. Pretty high I'd imagine.

and can anyone else comment on the couple of slaps that 2 of the malaga players dished out? i can remember sidwell getting one and getting booked for it

also the way their manager used the subs in 2nd half, i know we were poor anyway but that killed the game completely for me