Finders Keepers

tonyh29

What would you have done with the 30K Lottery Ticket  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you have done with the 30K Lottery Ticket

• Finders Keepers Losers Weepers
    • Handed it in

The law also states that anything abandoned is a free for all

I disagree. While it might be assumed that your bin is a free for all, I have heard in the past that things in your bin or skip are legally still your property. I'd be interested in seeing the text stating that anything in a bin outside your house is a free for all.

I know that in Massachusetts, the lottery tickets have an area on the back where you're supposed to put your name and address. Unless that's filled in, then it's legally a bearer instrument (e.g. finders keepers applies).

I know that in Massachusetts, the lottery tickets have an area on the back where you're supposed to put your name and address. Unless that's filled in, then it's legally a bearer instrument (e.g. finders keepers applies).

Good system that. It gives the purchaser the facility to protect their 'investment' and if they choose not to then they've no comeback. All's fair then.

I could easily have got myself into a situation similar to this

When working in Spar during a summer between Uni years, some guy asked me to check his numbers - the machine gave a deep sound (very similar to the 'no win' sound) - and the guy said to throw the ticket in the bin.

About 4-5 seconds later, it printed a 'prize is too big to claim - please instruct customer to contact Camelot Claims Line' - so I shouted to the guy to come back...

He had 5 and the bonus, the lucky f*cker.

To be fair, he came back and said thank you a day or 3 later.

The law also states that anything abandoned is a free for all

I disagree. While it might be assumed that your bin is a free for all, I have heard in the past that things in your bin or skip are legally still your property. I'd be interested in seeing the text stating that anything in a bin outside your house is a free for all.

You won't find the specific wording in the laws, just like you won't find specific wording for theft by finding (you won't even find that term being used), theft by finding only exists because the theft act says "if he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the property belongs cannot be discovered by taking reasonable steps. " isn't dishonest (an exception that proves the rule that if you do believe they can be discovered it's dishonest).

The crime of theft is "dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it", can you permanently deprive someone of something that they themselves are in the process of permanently depriving themselves of? By throwing it away you are relinquishing your claim to the item. The only question is if that claim transfers to whoever is responsible for collecting your rubbish or skip. It's entirely possible that you could be stealing from them, but it would be a huge stretch to be seen as stealing from someone who has shown a willingness to give up their ownership of an item.

But as with all law it's very much interpretation, but the part you quoted is entirely true, abandoned property has no owner, therefore taking it is never theft. The question though is something in the refuge system abandoned, or has it's ownership merely passed to the refuge company?

I'm no angel but I'd hand it in and trust in Karma.

Yep, me too. Although I am an angel

Are you always off-side?

:lol:

Yeah, and I've never fulfilled my potential either. Maybe a trip to the states is required

I'm no angel but I'd hand it in and trust in Karma.

Yep, me too. Although I am an angel

Are you always off-side?

:lol:

Yeah, and I've never fulfilled my potential either. Maybe a trip to the states is required

If you can't make it anywhere, you can make it in New York, then...

ruling was today .. they have had to give back £15k to the rightful owner plus £115 in interest

so they made £15k out of it ... dishonesty clearly is the best policy ...

I voted hand it back and knowing the outcome of the case ,I'd still hand it back ..

Would probably hand it in, but ask the authorities if you can keep it if no one claims for it
They'd say sure, and then in 6months you'd get a useless piece of paper returned.

The WORST thing you can do is hand it in to the police if you want to stand any chance of collecting the winnings. You're far better off sending it to camelot who have a lost tickets thing, and then if 180 days after the draw no one has claimed the ticket then they will pay you the winnings (maybe, if they feel like it).

I could easily have got myself into a situation similar to this

When working in Spar during a summer between Uni years, some guy asked me to check his numbers - the machine gave a deep sound (very similar to the 'no win' sound) - and the guy said to throw the ticket in the bin.

About 4-5 seconds later, it printed a 'prize is too big to claim - please instruct customer to contact Camelot Claims Line' - so I shouted to the guy to come back...

He had 5 and the bonus, the lucky f*cker.

To be fair, he came back and said thank you a day or 3 later.

nothing says thank you quite like £5k

If I saw someone drop it I'd give it them back. but if I found it and new it was a winner, I honestly think if that situation arose I'd take it. This story would put me off though.

Â