Greatest Rock Front Man

maqroll

Who is the greatest front man in rock music history?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest front man in rock music history?

• Mick Jagger
    • Freddie Mercury
    • David Lee Roth
    • Bon Scott
    • Robert Plant
    • Roger Daltrey
    • Other

Axl Rose - Seeing as he was a major factor in the implosion of the band I'd say he was a pretty shitty frontman.

Kurt Cobain - Great songwriter and helped to define an era but not really a true frontman as such. A real frontman loves the limelight and doesn't shy away from it.

I'd go with a Steve Tyler / Mick Jagger / Freddie Mercury type who gets on stage and just owns it.

Another vote for Morrison here...

(Geddy Lee isn't that great of a frontman... no real stage banter or charisma)

(SHOCK! HORROR! as leviramsey admits that a member of Rush isn't the greatest in a particular musical discipline...)

Never got a chance to see them unfortunately, but Mother Love Bone's Andrew Wood was supposed to be quite the showman, in the Mercury mould. That's him below with his hands on Jeff Ament's (now of Pearl Jam of course) head.

MLBband.jpg

Seb Bach from Skid Row was always entertaining too. I did get to see them at Donington 92 and a jolly good time I had as well.

I know opinion is very divided on him but I think Axl Rose was a bloody good front man. Yes, a complete clearing in the woods by all accounts, but incredible stage presence.

Other than him, Freddie Mercury would probably get my vote. I love Hendrix, but not sure whether I'd call him the greatest front man.

Who is the greatest front man in rock music history?

Well hands down for me, it's Bruce Springsteen, the guy is 59, and still is putting on 3+ hour shows, and rocking the house every night,

the energy of men half his age and more,

but that's me :)...

Dickinson was tops too..

Still is according to our kid who saw them at Twickers last year :nod:

I was there and can indeed verify that this is true.

Curiously Dickinson's predecessor, Paul di'Anno fronted an incredible live band.

Having seen Dickinson as the front man for Samson prior to his Maiden days I can only conclude that it is the band as a whole that has that on stage wow factor, rather than its front man.

Dickinson was tops too..

Still is according to our kid who saw them at Twickers last year :nod:

I was there and can indeed verify that this is true.

Curiously Dickinson's predecessor, Paul di'Anno fronted an incredible live band.

Having seen Dickinson as the front man for Samson prior to his Maiden days I can only conclude that it is the band as a whole that has that on stage wow factor, rather than its front man.

Never got to see them with Di'Anno (boo) :( Mind you I was 6 when he left (hooray) :) From what I've seen he certainly gave them a different energy, and more of a punk vibe. But then their songs back then were more condusive to that.

There's no doubt that having 'Arry and the boys backing Dicko makes a difference, but then so does having some belting songs. My knowledge of Samson is limited but I son't think they had anything in the same league as Hallowed By Thy Name or the Trooper.

Didn't he try to convince people that his name was Bruce Bruce in the Samson days?

Â