Peace Cup: Atlante a 2009/07/29 Match thread

limpid

I'm not too sure how keen I am on a separate area for discussing matches, ratings and reactions. It has seemed to slow up and create less discussion then to when it is in the VT forum. Anyways...

I think Villa can win this, we've got the physical aspect of the game way more in our favor then the Mexicans. I really think we could win 3 or 4 to nil. I love being an optimist.

One thing going against us is the kick off time. It will be 20:30 local time and is likely to be around the 30 mark (86f). The Mexicans will definitely revel in that more than our lads. Given that our style is heavily reliant (almost exclusively so) on counter-attack and on physical exertion then I'm unsure how we'll cope.

If we were a passing team who let the ball do the work then maybe I could see it but as it is I think we're the underdogs in this one. I'm still foolishly optimistic though :)

Hopefully we will have Carew and Heskey up front this time for most of the game, with Young, Petrov,Sidwell, and Alrighton backing up behind them.

From watchin the game today, they are quite fast little bastards so they could cause havoc sometimes on the counter.

We should win this, and should win it 2-0 plus, but you know with these games.

A few of my villa friends I spoke to today had no idea this is on tomorrow, or who we are playing.

I watched the Malaga game in a pub I watch the games I dont go to and it was only me and 4 mates and another group of 4 lads. The Malaga ground on TV looked so empty I cringed away, at the thought of any potential (spanish) signings that might of turned up.

presumably the same starting Xi, if Heskey is fit?

Friedel, Lichaj,Cuellar, Davies, Shorey, Young A, Sidwell, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Heskey, Carew (4-4-2)

Guess if Heskey is unfit we play 4-5-1 with Reo-coker moving inside from the wing to make room for Albrighton on the right

What concerned me abut the other night was the total lack of creativity, so will be looking to see if we can improve on that

I dont know anything about this team other that they convincingly won the other night, so have no idea at all about our chances. You'd expect us to be able to beat a Mexican team though wouldnt you?

can anyone here please confirm to my gf that going to the game in my last seasons away fonz shirt and the biggest sombrero i can find is not a bad idea?
If you want to pass yourself off as a native then on grounds of style you couldn't do worse. I've never seen a Spaniard wearing a huge sombrero. Whereas Mexicans... If the sombrero is so huge that people can't see the shirt they may think you're an Atlante fan.

On the other hand if you're going to wear last season's away Fonz shirt, I assume you have other reasons for wanting to wear the sombrero.

Common sense perhaps? Is your head shaved? Are you bald? Are you and your girlfriend both bald? Then something on your head would be no bad idea if you're going to be sitting or standing in one place without moving, at least until the sun goes down.

Wear the sombrero for God's sake, unless you want to end up with a sunburnt head and shoulders. Spanish bricklayers often wear some Yasser Arafat style thingie to cover their head and shoulders. Otherwise some of the lazier ones would end up with **** skin cancer.

Why don't people read my previews :( :cry: Not to mention read my bloody Peace Cup thread :( All details are in both places. FYI 19:30.

Why don't people read my previews Not to mention read my bloody Peace Cup thread All details are in both places. FYI 19:30.

Its like a bomb has gone off on this site recently, information is scattered everywere.

I expect a loss.

But it is pre-season and we only have half a team out there. It doesn't matter - as does any of the other results or the Fiorentina game (which I find hillarious seeing as we'll have plenty of other meaningless European games at VP in the EUROPA Cup in the beginning half of next season).

Yet I'll be a sad clearing in the woods and watch it on some crap internet stream.

The saddest clearing in the woods is probably me. I'd been wondering for ages why on earth someone on another thread had said a 2-0 win would get us through. I thought surely that's wrong, 3-0 to be level with Atlante and 4-0 to be ahead.

And then suddenly the penny dropped. :bonk: Very, very sad. :oops:

I expect a loss.

But it is pre-season and we only have half a team out there. It doesn't matter

That's the good thing about it. Nothing to be bothered about if we lose, but if we win (by two goals) we will be in the semi-finals of a tournament with Porto, Juventus and Real Madrid, which would be fun to see.

So come on Villa!