Friendly: Colchester a 2009/07/21 Reactions and ratings

limpid

I have yet to see either the goals we scored or conceeded yet, but I think we all have to remember that this was a 'friendly' game.

As much as we would all like to see Villa run out clear 4-0, 5-0 winners, these friendlies are ideal opportunities to get the players match fit for the new season and to give some of the fringe players a chance to impress.

From the text commentary I 'watched', I am hoping that Bannan and, especially, Albrighton to kick on next season. Thye have both performed extremely well in the 2 friendlies so far and I hope to see more of them in the coming few months.

Also good to see Sidwell on the score sheet again and I personally think he deserves more games next season. Still worries at the back, but I am sure MON knows this and is persuing cover for the CB positions. Interesting to note, Cuellar had a very good game at RB last night and got forward a lot.

I went last night. It wasn't great.

For their first goal Curits wasn't even looking at the ball, he just had hold of the striker he was marking. That was the guy who nodded the ball into the net. Their second goal came about from more poor defending and the guy just smashed it into the bottom corner.

Sidwell had a decent game and capped it with a another goal, arriving in the box and finishing low left footed. Our second goal was comedy, I thought it was an OG but looks like McGurk tapped it over the line. It all happened so quickly so will have to see it again, but it's safe to say their keeper and centre half contrived to gift us an equaliser.

As has already been said it's all about fitness at this stage and I think only 3, maybe 4 of these players will start the first game of the season.

As has already been said it's all about fitness at this stage and I think only 3, maybe 4 of these players will start the first game of the season.

Davies, Cuellar, Friedel?

maybe on Sidders, maybe on Shorey, maybe on Knight, maybe on Coker? Depends who we bring in between now and then, I guess ....

All IMO. As we stand now thats our defense! I had hoped a new start would be great, but it looks like the same old problems. At least MON has now been reminded.

I do wish Carlos was given a chance to play with either Zak or Curtis in the CD role. (I know its only a friendly BTW)

Don't think now is the time to worry about set pieces. Training at the moment is surely about fitness, the tactical stuff will come later. Also, the whole team defends set pieces, and the team was packed with kids.