Peace Cup: Malaga a 2009/07/25 Match Thread

limpid

OS

Villa have announced their squad to travel to the Peace Cup tournament in Spain.

A number of players who were in international action over the summer - including John Carew, Stiliyan Petrov and Emile Heskey - are named in the squad.

There are also places for some of the youngsters who impressed in the recent pre-season friendlies against Peterborough and Colchester.

Villa take on co-hosts Malaga in their first group stage game on Saturday, before facing Atlante of Mexico on Wednesday July 29.

Squad: Brad Friedel, Brad Guzan, Elliot Parish, Marc Albrighton, Barry Bannan, John Carew, Ciaran Clark, Carlos Cuellar, Curtis Davies, Marlon Harewood, Chris Herd, Emile Heskey, Zat Knight, Eric Lichaj, Shane Lowry, Isaiah Osbourne, Stiliyan Petrov, Nigel Reo-Coker, Moustapha Salifou, Nicky Shorey, Steve Sidwell, Ashley Young, Luke Young, Jonathan Hogg, Wilfred Bouma, Andreas Weimann.

Enough first teamers there to put out a Premier League standard side.

Would like to see Curtis and Carlos start both games at centre half, see how they get on as a partnership.

OS

Villa have announced their squad to travel to the Peace Cup tournament in Spain.

A number of players who were in international action over the summer - including John Carew, Stiliyan Petrov and Emile Heskey - are named in the squad.

There are also places for some of the youngsters who impressed in the recent pre-season friendlies against Peterborough and Colchester.

Villa take on co-hosts Malaga in their first group stage game on Saturday, before facing Atlante of Mexico on Wednesday July 29.

Squad: Brad Friedel, Brad Guzan, Elliot Parish, Marc Albrighton, Barry Bannan, John Carew, Ciaran Clark, Carlos Cuellar, Curtis Davies, Marlon Harewood, Chris Herd, Emile Heskey, Zat Knight, Eric Lichaj, Shane Lowry, Isaiah Osbourne, Stiliyan Petrov, Nigel Reo-Coker, Moustapha Salifou, Nicky Shorey, Steve Sidwell, Ashley Young, Luke Young, Jonathan Hogg, Wilfred Bouma, Andreas Weimann.

Would like to see Curtis and Carlos start both games at centre half, see how they get on as a partnership.

I like the way they make it so obvious Hogg Bouma and Weimann were late additions. Keepers - Everyone else in alphabetical order then those 4.

thats a pretty shit squad to be honest....

don't talk shit

If you think that squad could finish in the top 10.. well... its just my opinion.

I hope we dont play Real Madrid....

you cant really say that this team is trying to finish top 10 though can you?!

we are missing 4 1st teamers (i added fonz) and downing, and i might speak for half the board wheni say that hopefully bannan and albrighton shine over there, step up and become 1st teamers next year

plus to then say i hope we dont play madrid, who's to say madrid wont field a similar set of players? that said i still think we will lose to malaga!

has anything more been said/hinted at that if we dont make the semis then a friendly might be played?

im not saying that they are going to go for top 10. Just that this squad is shit. Ofcourse with a few more signings and the 4 players or so that are missing its better. But nonetheless this particular squad that was picked is shit.. if you did pick that squad for just the Premier League without the rest.. would you be happy with it? Luckily 4 players are to come back and hopefuly 4 or 5 more signings.

OS

I like the way they make it so obvious Hogg Bouma and Weimann were late additions. Keepers - Everyone else in alphabetical order then those 4.

Maybe those spots were being left open for 3 new signings, who just didn't come to fruition in time.