Who wins and how?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins and how?

• Khan by T/KO
    • Khan on points
    • Draw
    • Kotelnik by T/KO
    • Kotelnik on points

The fight against Barrera proved NOTHING about Amir Khan. Barrera has been shot for a while now and had a gaping gash on his forehead. People should be worried that MAB mannaged to wobble him with a shitty little jab. Khan (and more importantly, Frank Warren) want nothing to do with the top 135lbs fighters such as Edwin Valero, Casamayor or even Katsidis because Warren will lose his cashcow. He'll try to get him a world title this weekend and if by some grace of God wins, will match him very carefully against light hitters or shot people who still have a 'name' which is likely where all the talk of Hatton is coming from.

He'll have mandatories to take care of.

And Maidana is his mandatory. So careful matchmaking is out of the question if he wants to keep his belt.

Looking forward to the fight, think Khan will win by KO 7/8 round

interesting article here, any thoughts?

http://tinyurl.com/cs9fa3

Rightly or wrongly, lightweight Amir Khan (20-1, 15 KOs) is making his first title challenge on June 27th against Ukrainian Andriy Kotelnik (31-2-1, 13 KOs), the World Boxing Association light welterweight champion. Under most circumstances, this should be a moment that’s looked forward to by most British boxing fans due to Khan, the 2004 Olympic Silver Medalist for Britain, getting such a fast shot at the title in his career.

However, Khan seems to be under fire by many fans that level criticism at him that he’s dodging the best lightweight talent in the division. But more than that, they seem to have a general dislike of him as a whole, and not just because he was blown out in the 1st round by Colombian Breidis Prescott last year.

Khan, 22, was receiving a great deal of negative publicity even before that fight by fans and writers, some of it because of his shaky chin at times and others because of his so-called weak opposition. I think most of it is unfair to be honest. I’ve checked the early records of Joe Calzaghe and Ricky Hatton, both of which were fighting mostly soft opponents through four years of their professional boxing career.

So, if it was okay for them to fight lower level opponents, then why isn’t it okay for Khan? I think he’s proven that the loss to Prescott was a fluke thing in Amir’s recent 5th round technical decision victory over Marco Antonio Barrera. When Khan is fighting smart and thinking defensively, there’s few better fighters than him in the sport.

So, is there a fighter that is more hated than Khan in the UK, and if so, who? I can’t think any fighter that is as polarizing as Amir Khan, and it just seems so odd that he’s been the one that’s getting so much abuse. Is it that the UK eats their young?

I remember all the abuse that Audley Harrison, another Olympic Gold Medal winner for Britain, took from the British public early in his career. Why was that? It seemed unfair because he was being pushed much too fast for the skills that he needed to learn. Harrison seemed to never get a chance by many fans, as they ripped him to shreds even at the very infancy of his pro career.

Now that James DeGale has emerged as another Gold Medal winner for Britain from the 2008 Olympics, he’s receiving a similar fate. However, none of those fighters are criticized as much as Amir Khan. He holds a special place for many fans who take pleasure seemingly in blasting him and questioning his talent.

I wonder what they’ll say when Khan defeats Kotelnik and wins the WBA title? My guess is that even then Khan won’t get much credit for it.

Khan has received a lot of attacks recently because he’s chosen to jump at the chance to move up to the light welterweight division and get a title shot against Kotelnik.

Why on Earth should Khan be criticized for this I ask you? If he had stayed at lightweight, he wasn’t going to get a title shot for at least year so he did the wise thing and moved up for an opportunity. Fighters do it all the time and don’t face abuse, yet Khan is vilified for doing so.

If there’s a fighter in the UK that is hated more than Khan, I don’t know who they are because his name seems to be first and foremost when getting skewered by fans. It’s not right and I think British fans have become spoiled by Ricky Hatton and Calzaghe’s success and not remembered how long it took them to get to where they achieved anything.

Who the hell wrote that article, what a moron :shock:

ALL fighters face 'weak' or 'hand picked' opponents in the early stages of their careers yes, but if those fighters are any good then they don't get knocked out in the first round by any of those, or dropped by notoriously feather-fisted opponents on the way. I hate Slappy Joe but comparisons between him and glass jawed Khan cannot be made, same goes for Hatton who was fighting hand picked guys yes but at least he was actually beating them without getting knocked down, apart from the Magee fight.

I love how the Prescott loss is dismissed as a fluke too, just because Khan beat Barrera, what a load of shite. If it was a fluke then Khan should rematch him and beat him, like Lewis did with Rahman - but he won't because if he did he'd get starched again in exactly the same fashion. Picking on little old guys like Barrera is all well and good, same with Kotelnik who has never greatly impressed me. Here's the thing though, if he wants to be taken seriously at his new weight he's got to take on REAL fighters should he beat Kotelnik because at that weight there's plenty to choose from. I can't wait, personally because he's going to get hammered and exposed for what he truly is again - just like Hamed was against Barrera all those years ago :)

I know this is in no-way related to this thread, but I had to post it somewhere.

Sakio Bika's excuse for losing to Lucian Bute :

Bute defeated you previously. Can you win a return bout? Why?

Yes I can win a return bout. Last time I fought Bute, I was very sick and almost drowned in the hotel pool the day before my fight. I never learnt how swim and decided to cool down after training. I didn’t realize there was a deep end of the pool and jumped straight in. I know I can beat Bute and would not go near any swimming pools before the fight!

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=17415#more-17415

:crylaugh: :crylaugh: :crylaugh: :crylaugh:

You laugh at that yet you believe Wladimirs excuses for his loss against Brewster?

Both are equally ridiculous if you ask me....

The fight against Barrera proved NOTHING about Amir Khan. Barrera has been shot for a while now and had a gaping gash on his forehead. People should be worried that MAB mannaged to wobble him with a shitty little jab. Khan (and more importantly, Frank Warren) want nothing to do with the top 135lbs fighters such as Edwin Valero, Casamayor or even Katsidis because Warren will lose his cashcow. He'll try to get him a world title this weekend and if by some grace of God wins, will match him very carefully against light hitters or shot people who still have a 'name' which is likely where all the talk of Hatton is coming from.

He'll have mandatories to take care of.

And Maidana is his mandatory. So careful matchmaking is out of the question if he wants to keep his belt.

One thing I forgot to mention was him throwing the belt away when he gets a challenge...

Amir Khan will be urged to give up the world title if he wins on Saturday and is then ordered to make a first defence against Marcos Maidana.

Five years after winning an Olympic silver medal, the Bolton boxer steps up a division to challenge Ukrainian Andreas Kotelnik for the WBA light-welterweight title at the MEN Arena in Manchester.

Khan's trainer Freddie Roach is confident he can win his first world title, but does not want the 22-year-old anywhere near Argentine Maidana, who won the WBA Interim title last month by stopping American Victor Ortiz.

Instead Roach would rather see Khan beat Kotelnik and then fight Mexican legend Erik Morales in Las Vegas.

American Roach said: "Someone mentioned fighting Marcos Maidana next. Why? Let's build that fight up.

"Do you fight that guy in your first defence for a little bit of money or do you make that fight down the road for a lot of money? Take the belt back if they order Amir to fight him next. Belts are fun to win, but they don't make you money.

"Manny Pacquiao hasn't fought for a major belt in a long time. You fight the right fights at the right time.

Advertisement - article continues below »

"I am not keen on Maidana yet. I'd like to see Amir make his American debut next. There is a November date open.

"There is a possibility we can fight Erik Morales who is making a comeback. It is a good name. It is timing and I think we can beat that guy.

"There are some good fights out there for him.

"He hasn't even fought in American yet.

"He will be a hit in America because he is a good-looking kid and his style is fun to watch."

Khan admitted: "I'm going to have to do something special to KO Kotelnik - and I will.

"I saw the Maidana-Ortiz fight and it was an impressive victory, and shows just how good I need to be if I am to become a world champion."

I know this is in no-way related to this thread, but I had to post it somewhere.

Sakio Bika's excuse for losing to Lucian Bute :

Bute defeated you previously. Can you win a return bout? Why?

Yes I can win a return bout. Last time I fought Bute, I was very sick and almost drowned in the hotel pool the day before my fight. I never learnt how swim and decided to cool down after training. I didn’t realize there was a deep end of the pool and jumped straight in. I know I can beat Bute and would not go near any swimming pools before the fight!

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=17415#more-17415

:crylaugh: :crylaugh: :crylaugh: :crylaugh:

You laugh at that yet you believe Wladimirs excuses for his loss against Brewster?

Both are equally ridiculous if you ask me....

Do you honestly think I believe he was poisioned? :lol:

Stick him up against Prescott again and he will knock his block off whats happened to him recently? i thought he was going to be the next big thing and wont khan need to fight him to get his belts back?

wonder if many people who backing kotelnik actually seen him fight. he lost too the average junior witter, drew too the awful m'baye and only won the world championship from probobly the worst world champion of all time in gavin rees. looking forward too two of the most anticipated domestic matches in a while.hall v small and cleverley v mcintosh. both should be explosive

Have to agree with that. How did that guy ever win a world championship??

Stick him up against Prescott again and he will knock his block off whats happened to him recently? i thought he was going to be the next big thing and wont khan need to fight him to get his belts back?

What belts?

Prescott and Khan fought at 135.

They're both going to 140 now, so either if there were important belts on the line, they're gone now.

As it happens, Prescott is fighting tonight on ESPN Friday Night Fights against little-known Miguel Vasquez. Khan is fighting for a world title tomorrow. Funny how boxing works, isn't it?

Do you honestly think I believe he was poisioned? :lol:

I'd like to hope you don't....but a lot of Klitschko lovers still believe that crap...or the 'diabetic incident' one, that was funny as **** too :D

Here's hoping Kotelnik cleans Khans clock. **** me I think that's a tongue twister you know, try saying it fast :shock:

ouch SD...

Against a bum...

The ref will apparently be this guy (acording to ESB)

Stanley Christodoulou

Reffed over 100 world title fights since 1973, first ref to officiate world title fights at all 17 weights and he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2004.

If Khan wins it won't be via a pet refereeing decision

Good to know it's not a typical Warren ref

ouch SD...

Against a bum...

Stanley Christodoulou

Reffed over 100 world title fights since 1973, first ref to officiate world title fights at all 17 weights and he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2004.

I believe Christodoulou was the only judge that gave the first Lewis/Holyfield fight to Lewis...

I wouldn't bet money on Kotelnik mate, he didn't look all that impressive to me when he beat Rees, who lets face it is crap.

Khan will win this and no doubt go after the guy that beat Prescott to claim he's 'avenged' that loss :shock:

ouch SD...

Against a bum...

Stanley Christodoulou

I believe Christodoulou was the only judge that gave the first Lewis/Holyfield fight to Lewis...

I wouldn't bet money on Kotelnik mate, he didn't look all that impressive to me when he beat Rees, who lets face it is crap.

Khan will win this and no doubt go after the guy that beat Prescott to claim he's 'avenged' that loss :shock:

He might not be great, but I honestly think if he lands anything half-decent, Khan is going down. If he was wobbled by the OAP MAB with a jab, then a fit Kotelnik will despatch of him imo.

Â