Juan Pablo Angel

TheSufferingVilla

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Oh, absolutely.

Laursen was brilliant, the best defender we've had since McGrath in my book, he had everything to be one of the absolute best if it wasn't for injuries.

Angel? **** me, he's as far away from being a legend of anything as I can imagine. Cool guy, I like him as a person, but he had one or two good seasons in what, 7, 8 years with us? He was **** dreadful.

I think he had something like 15 goals in his final 100 appearances with us. When I think Juan Pablo Angel, I think "missing two penalties in a single game".

Yes, that brings back memories I was at that match away in the Fulham end! 

Glad to see Laursen and Angel got decent receptions.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Oh, absolutely.

Laursen was brilliant, the best defender we've had since McGrath in my book, he had everything to be one of the absolute best if it wasn't for injuries.

Angel? **** me, he's as far away from being a legend of anything as I can imagine. Cool guy, I like him as a person, but he had one or two good seasons in what, 7, 8 years with us? He was **** dreadful.

I think he had something like 15 goals in his final 100 appearances with us. When I think Juan Pablo Angel, I think "missing two penalties in a single game".

Yeah angel took a while. To get going but I swear I read somewhere that at first he struggled with the language and the change living in a hotel etc. But once he got use to it he was tops. I loved him. I'll never forget when we beat Blose and how as a sub he came to join the cahill goal celebration. 

Oh my that fulham game. That wss infuriating. On one hand yoh got to say he had guts to take another after missing the first. But you just knew he was going to miss the second pen. Awful game. 

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah angel took a while. To get going but I swear I read somewhere that at first he struggled with the language and the change living in a hotel etc. But once he got use to it he was tops. I loved him. I'll never forget when we beat Blose and how as a sub he came to join the cahill goal celebration. 

I think he had a lot more serious issues when he joined. His wife had some serious issues I think it was a miscarriage or something really awful and they couldnt speak to anybody as was no translator or any help. Its the reason the club brought in a welfare officer, was one of the first clubs to do it

I think he actually wanted to leave quickly the following summer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Oh my that fulham game. That wss infuriating. On one hand yoh got to say he had guts to take another after missing the first. But you just knew he was going to miss the second pen. Awful game. 

Andy Cole missed a pen too in that game

Putting Angel's rather inconsistent form for us into perspective a little, he's still our third highest scorer in the Premier League era according to wikipedia:

Yorke 97 in 288

Gabby 74 in 284

Angel 62 in 205

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Think some of Angel best football was in his last season with Gabby and Moore running off him. His own speed was gone but he could see the runs they were making

And somewhat perplexingly we let him leave for America in that January. Very intelligent footballer who successfully adapted his game (heading wasn't something he was famed for at River)! 

Juan was much like a lot of our strikers, they come in with a huge reputation in what is a decent side, who are a transfer window away from being split up.  They don't always settle, get labelled shit.  Then they pick up and have a good season or two, before they get injured and are again playing in a side which has been picked apart.  Plus we had Doug, who in 2002 decided he didn't like spending money anymore.  Dublin left, Merson left, Collymore left, blah blah.

We still had a decent spine in Mellberg, Barry, Hendrie (was ok at this point), but it was then filled with lower quality players like McCann, Samuel, De La Cruz, Allback, Crouch (when he couldn't score) blah blah.

Then when he looked really good in 04 we had Solano (who was a really good player I think).  But also had shit like Carlton Cole, who looked amazing in his first game v Southampton, then an absolute donkey for the other 36 games.

Then once his legs had gone after injuries, O'Neill came in and put him in a front 3 with Gabby and Moore and he looked more than able again, but was shifted on quickly to the MLS. 

Had we had him in O'Neill's first season as a 24 year old, fresh from Columbia, without all the off-the-field issues he and his wife had to contend with, we would have been amazing. 

He was **** brilliant sometimes and frustrating in others.  But he gave me a 23 goal season, gave me "that" Chelsea goal, which I watched from the Holte and loads of other great memories.  

And he's the best looking man in history. 

In my eyes, he was the best :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Was it?  Robson sold him after they fell out and Souness bought him back

I think he was brassic cos he was a gambling addict and needed the Villa sign on bonus to clear his debts. Then after a season went back to Newcastle. 

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:56, rjw63 said:

Can't believe @Hev hasn't appeared in this thread!

Here I am Rob.  I was there on Saturday - it was great to see him again.   Was a bit disappointed that he and Laursen never actually came over to the Witton Lane stand though so I could have got a full on view  .  Never mind, I still have my photo taken with him in 2005 😍

• Like 3

I thought JPA was class, for some reason GTmk2 wouldnt select him even though he got 16 goals the previous year, but the following year he scored 23 goals under DO'L to prove Graham Taylor wrong. Think we finished 6th that year, it all went down hill from there though, not just for him but for Villa until Lerner bought the club. Unfortunately he started to age at this point.

I used to love the way he would switch play with his first touch, was a very clever player. Shame he had a load of rubbish around him most of his time here. Think he could have been a real star had Lerner bought the club a few years earlier with a manager who built the team around him.

I remember he was doing reasonably well in MONs first year, even remember MON saying "hes a 9m striker, but if he had a bit of pace he'd be worth 20m"

Anyway, nice to see him back on the pitch along wit hanother hero of mine Martin Laursen :)

• Like 1

Â