• Margaret Beckett
    • Parmjit Dhanda
    • Sir Michael Lord
    • Sir Patrick Cormack
    • Ann Widdecombe
    • Sir George Young
    • Sir Alan Haselhurst
    • Richard Shepherd

Doesn't seem to be the sort of person you would trust with 'reforming' parliament

The Sketch: Shouldn't the Speaker practise what he preaches?

On a Wednesday point of order, Patrick Cormack referred to Bercow's election promise that he would "rebuke ministers" if they made announcements outside the House. It was his big idea for making the House more central to the nation's political life. That morning, we'd heard Lord Adonis announcing a rail nationalisation on the Today programme, 12 hours before the House was to hear.

But Bercow did not rebuke the minister. No, he excused him. He had merely been "commenting on commercial announcements that had already been made". That was the first line of defence. Why the Speaker should be defending ministers is not clear.

Iain Duncan Smith joined in. Having heard the radio that morning, he could say Adonis had gone well beyond airing old news and had "made a statement on air".

Bercow said he hadn't heard the programme (second line of defence) and that he'd look into it and come back about it (third and fourth line). Yesterday, IDS picked up the issue again and told the House that he had given Bercow a transcript of the interview which showed it was rebukable and that Bercow had made no reference to it from the chair.

So, two things: the Speaker's breaking his election promises already and he's telling fibs: "I will... come back about it."

He's been defending ministers against similar charges since his election. There was Ed Balls on federating schools and Alan Johnson's ID cards back-off – both announced first in the media.

Why is he defending ministers against the House? And why is he putting himself in such a questionable position? Speakers are supposed to be beyond the reach of these low accusations.

Yesterday he made a surprise announcement that directly after the recess, he's sacking the three deputy speakers (two Tories and one Labour), and holding elections for three new ones – two from the government side and one from the opposition. Why favour the Government on this? Why not three deputies from three parties?

I think this means there'll be no Tory deputy speaker. Labour have the numbers to vote in their own. And the Liberal Democrats will get the numbers from their own party plus Labour. Any Tory would be humiliated. But what's in it for Bercow? He may be fulfilling a secret deal he made with the third party to get one of them in as a deputy speaker in return for their earlier support. That's the theory.

But one fact stands out. His announcement of this election was on the BBC website – accompanied by glowing BBC commentary – a full 45 minutes before he made the statement to the House. He must have leaked it to the media himself. The Speaker!

What a lovely little rat's nest.

Sir Alan Hazelhurst (soon to be ex-deputy speaker) said in response to a point of order about the leak to the Beeb (from Hansard 2 July 2009 : Column 510):

The hon. Gentleman could not possibly expect me to comment. Mr. Speaker will take note of what the hon. Gentleman has put on the record, but I could not possibly begin to opine about what may have occurred.

Sir Alan Hazelhurst (soon to be ex-deputy speaker) said in response to a point of order about the leak to the Beeb (from Hansard 2 July 2009 : Column 510):

The hon. Gentleman could not possibly expect me to comment. Mr. Speaker will take note of what the hon. Gentleman has put on the record, but I could not possibly begin to opine about what may have occurred.

The face of Francis Urquhart formed in my mind as I read that quote! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Well the mighty midget might end up being one of the shortest serving speakers in modern times

Farage to stand against Speaker

UKIP leader Nigel Farage is to stand against Commons Speaker John Bercow at the next general election.

Mr Farage told the BBC he was standing because MPs "have broken the trust" of the British people and Mr Bercow "represents the worst" of the Commons.

Convention rules that Speakers stay out of party politics. Labour and the Lib Dems will not stand against Mr Bercow in his Buckingham constituency.

Mr Bercow said he was "more than happy" to be judged on his record as an MP.

He was returned as Conservative MP for Buckingham, which he has represented since 1997, with a majority of 18,000 at the last general election.

Might the tory party machine come to the rescue of berkow? Doubtful

Farage as Speaker would be a stroke of genius. Despite being batshit crazy he wouldn't be in the pocket of any party and could have a genuine go at cleaning the place up.

Plus Bercow is a horrible little weasel so I'd love to see him thrown out, whether that's against Parliamentary Protocol or not.

I thought Farage had one or two allegations levied against him over the years ?

He's claimed every penny of his MEP allowances but instead of pocketing them he put it into UKIP campaigning. If he was a good European he'd be using to to buy a farmhouse in Tuscany or similar, just like most other MEP's do.

Not heard about anything else allegation wise..

Â