'In the know' thread - Summer '09

BOF

From the Unfounded Speculation Thread. Seems we're trying to sign someone I, at least, have never heard of -

Quick ITK for you all. Just had a phone call from a freind of mine who runs a pub outside of Coleville very close to Leicesters training ground (apparently). He has a source who tells him we have lodged a £2 million bid for their 21 year old welsh midfeilder Andy King. Don't shoot the messenger on this one but it sounds fairly realistic to me and may represent better value to MON than £8 million for Delph.

X

We're in for a young player from Brazil called Tyson apparently - bid in of around 8M but his club want 12.

This is from a guy I used to work with (his dad is friends with one of the guys who run Villa's corporate hospitality.

A friend of mine use to play local football with one of the "Backroom Staff" at Villa, he still lives local to this area and see's my friend occasionally, I wont name him as to not land people in the pooh, but apparently we're on the verge of making a bid for Joe Ledley from Cardiff. Not a bad player too, he's definatley one who will improve the depth of the squad. There are other clubs interested, but it looks like we will be the first to move.

From the Downing thread -

Was speaking to a mate who is staying at the Nigel Mansell hotel and golf course near Exeter, works in the area during the week. The Spuds team are down there and playing a friendly tonight. He is adamant that Ashley Young was there on Monday with his agent. Story is £20m plus Bentley. Might not occur, but he is totally adamant that Young was there

X

Was witrh my mate who knows Bentleys family last night.

Here is the truth

Bentley wants to leave, but at this point in time, nothing is happening. He is preparing to go back to Spurs, where he thinks he will be next year.

If he does go, they suspect it could be a loan.

He didn't know specifics, but doesn't think Villa will happen.

He was 100% correct last year well before papers came out with the Spurs link, so I trust him.

Oh well :(

A colleague of mine is a well clued up Leeds fan and seems to have inside knowledge on the goings on at the club. He told me on Wednesday that a deal with Villa was dependant on Delfounso coming the other way on loan and the snag was that he didn't fancy it.

If this is true then maybe MON has managed to persuade him to change his mind?

I asked him about Delph and he said that whilst he is a good player, it's debatable whether he'd be a success in the top flight and that 7 million was definately over the odds as far as what he is worth.

Just on the phone to my old man.........he works with sam williams old man, sam williams has told his dad that Warnock to Villa is done deal. Bearing in mind he also told my dad Downing was a done deal. Wouldnt take it as red though...my dad gets a bit excited when he hears about transfers :-)

Unfounded Speculation thread again -

Just had the news I have been waiting for was away a week back today . Not winding people up but very near now to 3 players wish I could say it will be Monday but its close two defenders ( Distin one of them ) and a midfield player who isn't cheap !

Can't break the confidence BUT source is good !

uk based all 3?

No

I understand that Delph deal is being held up because Delfounso won't go the other way on loan .

Last thing I will say is we haven't been linked with one of them so far and I think he could be in before Distin but thats purely my guess.

From the Distin thread -

It was never going to be Monday never said it was but I was under the impression it would be tomorrow . The longer it goes on the more concerned I get that something has changed . When I was posting :!: to Downing the night before I was told it would be by noon next day but not to mention it . Good job I didn't because it went into mid afternoon and I would have been lynched on here .

I believe Distin is the main target and I believe he wants to come and its sorted with agents but the problem as I see it is that Spurs buying Crouch has taken the pressure off Portsmouth needing instant money . Hart doesn't want to sell him , the fans don't want him to go he is being professional but Distin wants to come !

Now its down to do we pay the price they want which was 4.5 mill allegedly or do we move on !

More I think about it the more I think it would be a mistake if we don't get him .

• 4 weeks later...