Barry or Petrov???

Pacavelli

Barry or Petrov?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Barry or Petrov?

• Barry
    • Petrov

I must say I find all this "Barry or Petrov" stuff **** childish.

And trust me, these anti Barry threads wouldn't exist if Barry hadn't have dared to look for a move after 11 years last season.

Because of that though, every little fault in his game have been highlighted and exaggerated to the extreme, and all his fine performances this season have been conveniently ignored or talked down.

I must say I find all this "Barry or Petrov" stuff **** childish.

And trust me, these anti Barry threads wouldn't exist if Barry hadn't have dared to look for a move after 11 years last season.

Because of that though, every little fault in his game have been highlighted and exaggerated to the extreme, and all his fine performances this season have been conveniently ignored or talked down.

Football fans are fickle by nature.

.......Goalkeeper

.......4 at the back

.........Reo-Coker

....Petrov...........Barry

Milner.................... A. Young

.......1 man up

sorted

How is this close?

Barry wants to leave, plays like he wants to leave, and most likely will leave.

For Petrov, see opposite..

Because we have seen whhat Barry has offered us in the last ten years?

How is this close?

With Barry as our key player for a good part of the last ten years the honours achieved are:

FA Cup

* Runners-up: 2000

Intertoto Cup

* Winners: 2001

Player of the Season

* Winner: 2006–07

I think this pathetic record is no coincidence. Barry may be perceived as a quality player but imho he has never been a winner! Good bye, its time for a change!

How is this close?

With Barry as our key player for a good part of the last ten years the honours achieved are:

FA Cup

Intertoto Cup

Player of the Season

I think this pathetic record is no coincidence. Barry may be perceived as a quality player but imho he has never been a winner! Good bye, its time for a change!

So it's Barry's fault we haven't won anything? :lol:

How is this close?

FA Cup

Intertoto Cup

Player of the Season

Sorry that is ridiculous. Have you not seen some of the teams he has played in at all? It's all Barry's fault we haven't won anything because he manages the team, picks the tactics and plays all 11 positions on the field? Personally I blame Carew for us not winning anything in the last three years...

How is this close?

FA Cup

Intertoto Cup

Player of the Season

So it's Barry's fault we haven't won anything? :lol:

In some ways, various managers have tried to accomodate him, in the hope that he would make the difference - he hasnt. At the beginning of the season people were raving about the likes of Young, when has anyone "raved" about Barry? He was originally made captain because of time at the club, but imo he was a shit captain. he isnt inspirational, has litle passion or drive. Technically he may be a better player than Petrov, but I dont think he makes sufficient difference. He fulfils the holding position for England, which imo is his best position and is patently not an attacking midfielder. Barry could have 20 yards in front of him, yet invariably he'll look up and knock a ball long to Young or Milner. Looks impressive but is so predictable - Barry is guaranteed to never spring any surprises. How many times this season have we seen him drive into the box?

People talk about teams like Arsenal missing a Viera type player, because they believe they lack a midfield general who will make a difference. Our "midfield general" has rarely made the difference. I accept that one player cant carry a whole team, but look back over the years and I am sure you will be able to identify players who were lynchpins... Platt, York etc

Villa have been pretty boring for much of the last ten years (with a few exceptions) and I think Barry is partly to blame

I'd be more inclined to vote Barry... he's proven to work well with the type of player we'll be after if he leaves, Petrov isn't.

What do you base this on?

Have you watched him lately play for Bulgaria?

Petrov was great last season playing holding when Barry pushed forward. It's Barry who has stopped playing his supposed role at Villa undoubtedly because of his England role on the back of his mind.

I think we won't win anything with Barry as a CM cause he simply isn't good enough. Which is kinda ironic considering Liverpool want him.

Or, the players around him at Villa simply aren't as good as him.

Yeah that's more like it, I think.

Nope. Barry can't play a holding midfielder in the PL, and he can't be an attacking midfielder. So unless we reverse to 4-5-1 with a 3 man midfield we should replace him. Right now Barry offers very little for us.

so much anti Barry feeling.

what did we ask of him at the end of the liverpool saga?

Get rid of his agent for poor advise about going to the press - Done

Give us one more seasonto see where we finish - Done

not throw his tedy out of the cot and get down to playing football and stop talking to the press - done

got knocked out of the fa cup - Barry not playing.

the press will take every oppertunity to stir the situation again, we do not need our own supporters to join in. lets see how the talks between MON and his agents get on. OH Sorry arent some of you also asking for MON to go due to run of results this year.

to replace barry will be a hard task and there arent many players out there that are better.

As a defensive CM Petrov is a better player. But that is easy because Barry cannot play there. I would have NRC in that role every day. I think Capello has Barry in completelly the wrong position.

As a more attacking midfielder Barry is streets ahead of Petrov. He reminds me of MacAllister in his pomp with his ability to retain the ball, create space and pick a pass. I think he would be awesome if he were to go to Plop, with Mascherano doing the donkey work (very well) and Gerard in the free role linking with Torres. I believe he would be better than Alonso in that role because he has as good a range of passing but is more mobile and will get forward to create and score more goals. Only area Alonso beats him for me is in long range shooting.

I would love to see us play NRC and Barry with a link man to the striker - thought Sidwell would do it but haven't seen any evidence this season. Maybe Defour but I have never seen him play so am not qualified to comment. Barry to really shine needs a good number 10 in front of him.

The best performance I have seen from us at VP was the 2-0 destruction of Chelski last season with NRC, Barry and Luke Moore dominating their midfield (Luke dropping in when we lost the ball) and Ash attacking strongly with Gabby playing on the RW but always getting in at the back post. Awesome!

Â