Barry or Petrov???

Pacavelli

Barry or Petrov?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Barry or Petrov?

• Barry
    • Petrov

overall Barry is better. People are jumping on the Petrov bandwagon too easily after 1 good year. Barry has given us great service and still is.

Face it any top 4 club will want Barry none will want Petrov

Pace - Both have Tortoise pace.

Goals - Both only score 1 or 2 a season from open play.

Stamina - Both get knackered easily and don't have much energy.

Tackling - Petrov. Barry can't tackle for shit, he just bundles into the player and gives a free kick away.

Passing - Both have excellent passing.

Plus the big factor, Petrov actually wants to be here, Barry doesn't. Bye Gareth.

This, Barry has had his mind on other things for a long time now. If we can get 8-10 million for him we could get someone to complement Stan instead of having 2 of the same midfielders doing the same thing. One of them has to go, Stan signed a new deal cheerio Barry.

Pace - Both have Tortoise pace.

Goals - Both only score 1 or 2 a season from open play.

Stamina - Both get knackered easily and don't have much energy.

Tackling - Petrov. Barry can't tackle for shit, he just bundles into the player and gives a free kick away.

Passing - Both have excellent passing.

Plus the big factor, Petrov actually wants to be here, Barry doesn't. Bye Gareth.

This, Barry has had his mind on other things for a long time now. If we can get 8-10 million for him we could get someone to complement Stan instead of having 2 of the same midfielders doing the same thing. One of them has to go, Stan signed a new deal cheerio Barry.

It would be better to keep them both and rotate them around the 4 comps whilst still buying a faster attacking mid to complement them right? Even playing both in a 4-5-1 when we have tough opposition.

No reason to sell 1 just because the other has signed a new deal.

Barry everyday of week.

Petrov is flavour of the month but Barry is the better footballer.

Stan has certainly benefitted from younger members conforming to a viewpoint that is fashionable.

Gareth Barry is light years ahead of Petrov in every department including tackling.

Obviously whoever posted that is talking out their arse but we have to remember that any current comparison has to take into account the fact that Petrov was primarily the Defensive/Holding midfielder in the last 2 seasons and Barry was supposed to be the attacking midfielder.

IIRC Barry wanted to be the attack midfield but imo hasnt really been that effective in supporting the strikers. Yes he makes some great passes out left and right but could Petrovs stats have done the same if their positions been reversed? On the few occassions when Petrov has got forward he has tried to attack defenders

Barry is history for me. Petrov is an excellent player but he is not an automatic replacement. We need someone who can score goals from mf, dominate and change games.

I agree inasmuch as I would like the above player, but that player would certainly not be an automatic replacement for Barry because Barry does not do those things himself. I actually think that Petrov (in his current incarnation at least) is as close as we will get to an automatic replacement for Barry, which is why concerns have been raised as to whether they are too similar.

Barry everyday of week.

Petrov is flavour of the month but Barry is the better footballer.

Stan has certainly benefitted from younger members conforming to a viewpoint that is fashionable.

One poster aside, i cant see any justification for that argument.

Gareth Barry in my opinion. Both suffer from the same flaws, lack of goals, lack of pace/mobility. Both are excellent passers of the football, neither get flustered in position, excellent range of passing, and both vastly experienced They're both very similar players, but if I had to choose, it'd be Barry.

Barry by a mile. Can do everything Petrov can do and a whole lot more besides.

Can he tackle? No he can't. In fact he lost the ball dangerously versus Fulham because he wouldn't/couldn't get his shorts dirty.

Barry's idea of tackling is running into opponents backsides.

Spot on. I only ever seem to see him running petulantly through someone from behind with no attempt to tackle(the source of most of his yellow cards). I think his place in England has affected his mindset in that he's supposed to have a free-role of sorts at Villa yet we end up with two holding players and our supply line is cut off between central midfield and front two.

I'd have Petrov every time over Barry in the holding role and think if Barry left ala Platt it wouldn't be the ned of the world if we brought in a more attacking midfielder to complement Petrov.

I would still prefer that person to be Milner as I don't rate him as a winger so get in a proper RW, Bentley etc or a class player from the continent?

Barry, Barry, and Barry some more. Im resigned to losing him though and I am ok with that because Barry - Petrov doesn't really work that effectively. I just hope we can bring some real quality in to replace him.

barry might score lots of brownie points for his tackiling according to opta, but petrov put more heart into that one tackle on ronaldo than barry has put in all season. statistics can prove anything - ray wilkins used to make about 400 completed passes per game, but they were never forwards or further than 5 yards.

we can argue the point for ever, but i think it boils down to whether or not you want a talented but inconsistent player playing at 80% or one with less natural ability busting a gut week in week out. there is no right or wrong answer - man city have robinho who is amazingly talented but doesnt give a toss, yet middlesboro have wheater who tries his heart out for the club but is ultimately part of a defence that has got them relegated.

as a fan, i know how much it would mean to be playing for the villa so i expect all of the players to give that much effort.

i am possibly cutting my own nose off by wanting a good player out of the team, but barry needs to make his position clear and stop all of the disruption, therefore

its petrov for me as things stand.

barry might score lots of brownie points for his tackiling according to opta, but petrov put more heart into that one tackle on ronaldo than barry has put in all season. statistics can prove anything - ray wilkins used to make about 400 completed passes per game, but they were never forwards or further than 5 yards.

we can argue the point for ever, but i think it boils down to whether or not you want a talented but inconsistent player playing at 80% or one with less natural ability busting a gut week in week out. there is no right or wrong answer - man city have robinho who is amazingly talented but doesnt give a toss, yet middlesboro have wheater who tries his heart out for the club but is ultimately part of a defence that has got them relegated.

as a fan, i know how much it would mean to be playing for the villa so i expect all of the players to give that much effort.

i am possibly cutting my own nose off by wanting a good player out of the team, but barry needs to make his position clear and stop all of the disruption, therefore

Absolute nonsense. Barry's been excellent yet again this season. Familiarity breeds contempt, so they say. Only when Barry eventually leaves will the philistines realise how important he was to the Villa.

Hopefully we won't be seeing that day for a few seasons yet.

Absolute nonsense. Barry's been excellent yet again this season. Familiarity breeds contempt, so they say. Only when Barry eventually leaves will the philistines realise how important he was to the Villa.

Hopefully we won't be seeing that day for a few seasons yet.

if barry had been SO excellent this season then i think that this discussion would be less evenly split, and maybe he might have got the player of the year.

most people forgave barry early in the season because he got back into the team, got his head down and worked hard, which ultimately got most of the fans back on his side. you can not, however, escape the fact that the second half of the season has been dreadful - yes, i know that we had key players out, and some others who played badly, but the one single player for me who stood out as being exceptionally poor was barry. he showed no fight, no desire to motivate those around him and has repeatedly disappeared in games when we needed him to stand up and be counted - and HE IS THE CAPTAIN.

he has serious flaws to his game - mobility, tackling, shooting, lack of right foot etc, and has shown no signs of trying to sort them out - in any case none of his weaknessess seem to shown any signs of improving.

we have had many important players over the years, but we have got over the departure of every single one of them, and we will do the same with barry

if barry had been SO excellent this season then i think that this discussion would be less evenly split, and maybe he might have got the player of the year.

most people forgave barry early in the season because he got back into the team, got his head down and worked hard, which ultimately got most of the fans back on his side. you can not, however, escape the fact that the second half of the season has been dreadful - yes, i know that we had key players out, and some others who played badly, but the one single player for me who stood out as being exceptionally poor was barry. he showed no fight, no desire to motivate those around him and has repeatedly disappeared in games when we needed him to stand up and be counted - and HE IS THE CAPTAIN.

he has serious flaws to his game - mobility, tackling, shooting, lack of right foot etc, and has shown no signs of trying to sort them out - in any case none of his weaknessess seem to shown any signs of improving.

we have had many important players over the years, but we have got over the departure of every single one of them, and we will do the same with barry

Spot on.

Â