The Top 40 Music Charts

ender4

The Top 40 Music Charts - what do you think?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. The Top 40 Music Charts - what do you think?

• mostly decent music
    • varied - some good, some bad
    • mostly bad music

Im not sure of the rules.

They changed them in the late 90's to say they could only have three tracks on them though. Bit of a shame, because at the height of Oasis's powers the four track singles they were putting out were fantastic. Wikipedia their discography and look at the strength of the b-sides they put on the singles from the first two albums.

I remember Radiohead were #1 in the midweek album charts with their "Airbag/How am I driving?". It qualified as an album because it had 7 tracks on it. Ill bet those rules have been changed several times since too.

I maintain that The Charts are nowhere near as culturally relevant today as they once were though. They were the focal point for all media coverage of music once upon a time. Simply not the case any more.

Completely lost interest in the charts. Some of it is decent but i cba listening to an hour of bile for 5 mins of a decent song every now and then.

I like to think my taste in music is very varied, but artists (can you call them that?) like Flo Rida et all make it impossible to like everything.

In my car CD changer I have

Yes

Spock's Beard

Judas Priest

Journey

Dream theater

Neil Young

All great artists who never get in the charts

Yes

Spock's Beard

Judas Priest

Journey

Dream theater

Neil Young

Only because most of those would break the 12 minute rule that Tony mentions before they even get to the bridge though Rob :winkold:

When I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, the charts were a HUGE deal. Top of the Pops was probably the most watched programme on TV, and I can remember that most weeks we had the Top 40 on, on the radio.

Buying records was also much more fun, if less convenient than it is now. I'm sorry, but clicking an icon on a computer screen and waiing a few seconds for your chosen song to download in no way compares to mooching through the 7" singles in Our Price, hoping that you'll come across a picture disc or such like. Then coming home, and reading the sleevenotes while you wait for the record player to start playing.

This post has been brought to you by "Old Buggers Incorporated", a subsidiary of "It Was All Fields Around Here When I Were A Lad".

Yes

Spock's Beard

Judas Priest

Journey

Dream theater

Neil Young

Only because most of those would break the 12 minute rule that Tony mentions before they even get to the bridge though Rob :winkold:

True!

When I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, the charts were a HUGE deal. Top of the Pops was probably the most watched programme on TV, and I can remember that most weeks we had the Top 40 on, on the radio.

Buying records was also much more fun, if less convenient than it is now. I'm sorry, but clicking an icon on a computer screen and waiing a few seconds for your chosen song to download in no way compares to mooching through the 7" singles in Our Price, hoping that you'll come across a picture disc or such like. Then coming home, and reading the sleevenotes while you wait for the record player to start playing.

This post has been brought to you by "Old Buggers Incorporated", a subsidiary of "It Was All Fields Around Here When I Were A Lad".

Also true!

how about some of you list your current songs that you like - i bet you they are also in the charts.

How about I list some of my favourite bands who have released countless singles between them and yet have not had a single song in the top 40 between them despite having more talent than pretty much everything in the charts these days? They're not even from obscure genres.

The King Blues

Bad Religion

Less Than Jake

Machine Head

Death Cab For Cutie

Modest Mouse

I really could go on and on...

edit: ok I just remembered Less than jake might have reached the top 40 with she's gonna break soon, and a quick search shows it did indeed reach number THIRTY NINE!!!! but that's their most popy mainstream suckiest song, so it doesn't really count anyway.

I remember that Big Country had a new single out in 1999 ..as they had been away for a while the fans on the forum pushed it and pushed it and brought multiple copies to get it to chart .. It was due to chart at number 22 which for an independent label with no airplay would have been quite a fair achievement

However it was not to be so .. the Big County single was in cardboard case with folds that when you opened out formed a small cardboard box ..the record industry mafia decided that it was encouraging people to buy the song not based on musical content but on the incentive of getting a "box" ..and thus they banned it from chart entry .. denying the song airplay and getting some promotion for the forthcoming album ........that same week Westlife I think it was released a single that with the extra tracks over ran the permitted running time for a CD single .. but of course this was allowed and Westlife had their number 1

Haha. Big Country always make an appearance in all VT music threads! Love it. :D

It's a law of the internet. "Big Country and their bagpipe-style guitar sound must be brought up at least once, preferably more, in any Villatalk thread which pertains to musical performance."

As kids we all used to tape our favourite songs from the radio, trying to cut out the DJ's chat over the intro. I suppose it was the illegal downloading of its day.

As kids we all used to tape our favourite songs from the radio, trying to cut out the DJ's chat over the intro. I suppose it was the illegal downloading of its day.

Indeed we did.

I expect when I tell my kids about this when they're older they'll just look at me blanky, like when my grandad used to tell me he never had a telly when he was a lad.

But by that time kids will probably be able to download songs directly into their brains just by thinking about them. Or something.

Bring back mixtapes.

mp3s have killed the art of making a mixtape :(

I just do compilation CDs - there's a thread aboiut them too if you do a searc h :-)

even compilation CDs don't have the same feel :(

With a mix tape you have to get it right, there's no skipping of tracks to make up for bad choices, you have to make sure every track is in the perfect place and is unskippable.

I might start doing mix mp3s where it's just one mp3 combining a load of tracks to bring back that unskipableness.

even compilation CDs don't have the same feel :(

With a mix tape you have to get it right, there's no skipping of tracks to make up for bad choices, you have to make sure every track is in the perfect place and is unskippable.

I might start doing mix mp3s where it's just one mp3 combining a load of tracks to bring back that unskipableness.

they already have those. they're called mega-mixes or somthing like that

Â