The Top 40 Music Charts

ender4

The Top 40 Music Charts - what do you think?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. The Top 40 Music Charts - what do you think?

• mostly decent music
    • varied - some good, some bad
    • mostly bad music

The Strokes, The Smiths, The Beatles, The Clash, Blur, Pulp, Babyshambles/Libertines, The Specials............etc

(just took this out of the other thread).

sellyoakvilla - i think you've missed the point.

All those bands you mention that you listen to - they are ALL 100% Chart Music.

I knew everyone would agree with me :-)

:puke: :bonk:

yet if you look at other music threads on this site, they all talk about chart bands

(ie: the current Green Day thread).

how is it that everyone thinks chart music is rubbish, yet pretty much everyone who talks about music on this site seems to talk about chart music.

they just like to pretend its not chart music??

I knew everyone would agree with me :-)

:puke: :bonk:

yet if you look at other music threads on this site, they all talk about chart bands

(ie: the current Green Day thread).

how is it that everyone thinks chart music is rubbish, yet pretty much everyone who talks about music on this site seems to talk about chart music.

they just like to pretend its not chart music??

Some of it is good. Most of it is shite. I don't mind talking about the good stuff.

I find it odd that the only 2 you think are decent out of that are lily Allen and pink!!

If Kelly Clarkson (or high pitch) was listed, I'd call that a third.

I generally like harder rock (especially tending more towards the progressive end of harder rock)... I can't explain what I like outside of that genre.

look at the thread about "what you currently listening to"... and its all chart music!!!!

last 3 pages is all chart stuff:

Foo Fighters

Metallica

Duran Duran

Manics

The Strokes

David Bowie

The Prodigy

Bush

Kid Rock

Doves

i think you're confused as to the role of the charts.

The charts tells you what everyone is listening to, not telling you what to listen to.

And I think you're confused as to how much young people are capable of finding music of their own...

So the charts used to be a bigger part of direct advertising as it was a symbol of success.

However now, as Nays says, there are so many more platforms.. you can know what's popular (and therefore the best... obviously!) through so many other ways... the chart is now no longer a reflection of what's being listened to, nor is it a decent form of getting yourself out there any more. Top of the Pops couldn't even persuade bands to perform on it any more... there was a time that bands would perform on Top of the Pops for free, just because it generated them so much money with record sales... but that really stopped being the case, so bands were started to demand more and more to be on it, and the BBC had to pull the plug.

look at the thread about "what you currently listening to"... and its all chart music!!!!

Foo Fighters

Metallica

Duran Duran

Manics

The Strokes

David Bowie

The Prodigy

Bush

Kid Rock

Doves

I'm assuming this is more about modern charts... only a few of those would get in the charts now...

Chart music now is all Lady GaGa, Beyonce and talentless fuckwits who were on a reality show.

I think mine and your definitions of 'chart music' are different ender4.

Foo Fighters

Metallica

Duran Duran

Manics

The Strokes

David Bowie

The Prodigy

Bush

Kid Rock

Doves

And the median last time on the charts for those artists is probably, what, about 3 or 4 years ago?

Current chart music sucks.

That said, there was probably more than enough suckage in the charts in days of yore... but the suckage sinks to the bottom of the nostalgic charts.

E.g. the 20 most played tracks on Sirius XM's 90s rock channel:

Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench

Smashing Pumpkins - Cherub Rock

Alice In Chains - Man in the Box

Alice In Chains - Rooster

Foo Fighters - My Hero

Alice In Chains - I Stay Away

Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty

Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing

Stone Temple Pilots - Plush

Soundgarden - Spoonman

Bush - Machinehead

The Offspring - Gone Away

Soundgarden - Burden in my Hand

Stone Temple Pilots - Creep

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter

Soundgarden - Outshined

Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing

Jane's Addiction - Stop!

Pearl Jam - Even Flow

Not a bad song on that list, IMO (but I could pick out five or so bad songs on nearly every weekly top 20 rock songs in the 90s).

Or perhaps more relevantly, most of the tracks from the 80s channel's chart are good:

U2 - Pride (In the Name of Love)

U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue

David Bowie - Let's Dance

Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer

Duran Duran - Rio

Billy Idol - White Wedding

The Clash - Rock the Casbah

Men At Work - Who Can It Be Now

Joan Jett - I Love Rock 'N Roll

Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time

Tears for Fears - Shout

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long

a-ha - Take On Me

Night Ranger - Sister Christian

The Police - Don't Stand So Close to Me

Van Halen - Jump

Men At Work - Down Under

Def Leppard - Photograph

Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight

I'll guarantee that a lot of the top 20s from week to week back then wouldn't tickle my fancy, but those don't get played that much (indeed, XM's 80s channel before the merger overplayed that crap).

Foo Fighters

Metallica

Duran Duran

Manics

The Strokes

David Bowie

The Prodigy

Bush

Kid Rock

Doves

I'm assuming this is more about modern charts... only a few of those would get in the charts now...

Chart music now is all Lady GaGa, Beyonce and talentless fuckwits who were on a reality show.

I think mine and your definitions of 'chart music' are different ender4.

i think you haven't listened to the charts lately. From the list above:

Kid Rock - no 1 this year

Prodigy - no 3 this year

Foo fighters - always get at least top10 with every song.

most stuff like this gets high up in the charts. why? because you all listen to it.

thats what i've been trying to explain - you say you hate chart music, yet its made up of all the stuff you listen to!

from what you are 'all currently listening to' thread

Manics - got three of their last 5 singles at No2.

Kasabian - last 8 singles all got in the charts, the lowest at no22, the highest at no 8.

Kid Rock - last single no1 (2009)

Prodigy - last single - no3 (2009)

Foo Fighters - always get at least top10 with every song.

Kate Bush - last single no4 (2005)

OK... so thats 7 artists who people listen to who are successful in the charts... and rightly so, they are very good bands/artists

1. Lady GaGa - Poker Face

2. Flo Rida - Right Round

3. Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow

4. All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell

5. T.I. featuring Justin Timberlake - Dead and Gone

6. Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You

7. Soulja Boy Tell 'em featuring Sammie - Kiss Me Thru the Phone

8. Jesse McCartney featuring Ludacris - How Do You Sleep?

9. Britney Spears - If U Seek Amy

10. Fray - You Found Me

11. Jamie Foxx featuring T-Pain - Blame It

12. Shinedown - Second Chance

13. Beyonce - Halo

14. Miley Cyrus - The Climb

15. Pink - Sober

16. Kid Cudi - Day 'N' Nite

17. 3Oh!3 - Don't Trust Me

18. Ciara featuring Justin Timberlake - Love Sex Magic

19. Lady GaGa featuring Colby O'Donis - Just Dance

20. Flo Rida featuring Wynter - Sugar

21. Britney Spears - Circus

22. Kelly Clarkson - I Do Not Hook Up

23. Akon featuring Colby O'Donis & Kardinal Offishall - Beautiful

24. Matt Nathanson - Come On Get Higher

25. Pink - Please Don't Leave Me

26. Ne-Yo - Mad

27. Eminem - We Made You

28. Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)

29. Kevin Rudolf featuring Rick Ross - Welcome to the World

30. Fall Out Boy - America's Suitehearts

31. Ting Tings - That's Not My Name

32. Offspring - Kristy, Are You Doing OK?

33. Nickelback - If Today Was Your Last Day

34. Kanye West featuring Mr. Hudson - Paranoid

35. White Tie Affair - Candle (Sick and Tired)

36. Plain White T's - 1, 2, 3, 4

37. Katy Perry - Waking up in Vegas

38. Asher Roth - I Love College

39. Kristinia DeBarge - Goodbye

40. Keri Hilson feat. Lil Wayne - Turnin Me On

I've highlighted the ones there who are of the same standard to the 7 you listed.

I'm not denying that ALL chart music is shit ender4... I'm just saying the majority of it is... it's dominated by talentless fuckwits like Beyonce and Lady Gaga... and whoever keeps buying Pussycat Dolls singles really needs psychiatric care.

Of course some of the music we like will have been in the charts... if it's good music then it'll sell, simple as that... but the quality of music in the charts is much much lower than it was in the 90's.. and this is largely due, I believe, to the charts not being a true reflection on music popularity.. Be really interesting if for a couple of weeks, as well as keeping track of record sales, they somehow manage to catalogue the gender and age group of the people buying..

And as for that list - I copied it from the previous page.. I assumed it was a chart of some sort.. it certainly looked like one.

I'm not denying that ALL chart music is shit ender4... I'm just saying the majority of it is... it's dominated by talentless fuckwits like Beyonce and Lady Gaga... and whoever keeps buying Pussycat Dolls singles really needs psychiatric care.

Of course some of the music we like will have been in the charts... if it's good music then it'll sell, simple as that... but the quality of music in the charts is much much lower than it was in the 90's.. and this is largely due, I believe, to the charts not being a true reflection on music popularity.. Be really interesting if for a couple of weeks, as well as keeping track of record sales, they somehow manage to catalogue the gender and age group of the people buying..

And as for that list - I copied it from the previous page.. I assumed it was a chart of some sort.. it certainly looked like one.

i do agree there is a lot of rubbish in the charts (like Pussycat Dolls, Britney, etc).

But there's always been lots of rubbish, but over time you forget about the rubbish & keep listening to the good stuff. So it seems better on retrospect.

In 10 years time, we'll remember the good stuff, and have forgotten about Pussycat Dolls. Same with all the awful awful rubbish from the 80's & 90's that we have forgotten about.

i look at the charts each week, and i find that the majority isn't awful (though a decent portion is). Its just that you hear about the rubbish stuff in the media a lot, so you assume that the charts is dominated by that sort of stuff.

(ps - the chart was someone posting USA commercial radio airplay chart)

ps - the chart was someone posting USA commercial radio airplay chart

Oh god. No wonder it came with that extra edge of shitness then ;)

I really really really wanna screw Lilly Allen though.

The Strokes, The Smiths, The Beatles, The Clash, Blur, Pulp, Babyshambles/Libertines, The Specials............etc

(just took this out of the other thread).

sellyoakvilla - i think you've missed the point.

All those bands you mention that you listen to - they are ALL 100% Chart Music.

Didn't say they weren't chart music - but let's take a bit of perspective yes. You talk about chart music of the past five years, how many of them were in the charts the past five years? The charts have dramatically changed since the times Smiths, Beatles, Clash - etc were in the charts, no?

I honestly cant remember the last time I cared about the charts. Maybe during the Britpop era.

The charts are less relevant these days than they ever were. They arent peoples window into music any more. Bands dont need to be on top of the pops to get their name out there these days.

i think you're confused as to the role of the charts.

The charts tells you what everyone is listening to, not telling you what to listen to.

Its retrospective, you find whatever music you like & listen to it, the chart neatly tells you what you (in the collective sense) had found to listen to.

Not at all.

I thought about what I said when I wrote it. The charts are nowhere near as important as they once were. Even as recently as the 90's they were a big deal, but in the 80's, 70's and 60's they were a very important thing.

People would hear something on the radio and it would climb the charts and maybe eventually break the top ten or get to number one. Now stuff goes in at number one because of a clever marketing campaign and quickly disappears. Shit, they dont even bother with a chart show on terrestrial TV these days.

While the charts have always been a record of sales figures they are probably less important culturally now than they ever have been. How many copies of a record do you need to sell to get to number one in 2009? So few its easy for svengalis to manipulate, and when that started happening the charts became less and less relevant.

Not at all.

I thought about what I said when I wrote it. The charts are nowhere near as important as they once were. Even as recently as the 90's they were a big deal, but in the 80's, 70's and 60's they were a very important thing.

People would hear something on the radio and it would climb the charts and maybe eventually break the top ten or get to number one. Now stuff goes in at number one because of a clever marketing campaign and quickly disappears. Shit, they don't even bother with a chart show on terrestrial TV these days.

While the charts have always been a record of sales figures they are probably less important culturally now than they ever have been. How many copies of a record do you need to sell to get to number one in 2009? So few its easy for svengalis to manipulate, and when that started happening the charts became less and less relevant.

is it considered bad form to write

This ^^^

Believe it or not There are actually rules about what you can and can't do for a single ..the content of a CD single can't contain more than 12 mins of music or something weird

I remember that Big Country had a new single out in 1999 ..as they had been away for a while the fans on the forum pushed it and pushed it and brought multiple copies to get it to chart .. It was due to chart at number 22 which for an independent label with no airplay would have been quite a fair achievement

However it was not to be so .. the Big County single was in cardboard case with folds that when you opened out formed a small cardboard box ..the record industry mafia decided that it was encouraging people to buy the song not based on musical content but on the incentive of getting a "box" ..and thus they banned it from chart entry .. denying the song airplay and getting some promotion for the forthcoming album ........that same week Westlife I think it was released a single that with the extra tracks over ran the permitted running time for a CD single .. but of course this was allowed and Westlife had their number 1

Â