The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Is there a small room at the roundhouse, like the back room at the civic? Shed 7 surely can’t fill the roundhouse in 2021 can they?

Not a dig Tony, just seems a big venue for them. 

Roundhouse only holds about 1800 people so its quite a small venue 

tbh I'm not a huge fan , but saw them at Brixton last year, and they were surprisingly good  .. Probably said it at the time, but the gig ended and the crowd were singing chasing rainbows , and then it spilled out onto the street with people singing it  , not something i've seen at a gig before ... people were still singing it as we went down into the underground  , much to the bemusement of people already on the platform 

sounds daft but after no gigs for a year I just want to experience something like that again

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Roundhouse isn't that big, especially for London, it's only 1700 capacity. By way of comparison, Brixton Academy is 4900 and the Town and Country Club (*spits on its current name*) is 2300, The Hammersmith Odeon (*spits again*) is 5000 and even the Shepherds Bush Empire is 2000

I didn’t realise. Been to all of them and the roundhouse seemed fairly large, but when compared to all those others, yeah its not that big. 

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

Town and Country Club

takes me back , used to go there on a Friday night after work , think the gigs would finish around 22:30 and then it would open up into a kinda nightclub so you could get nicely drunk until the small hours

and of course , your favourite band used to regularly play there  , I'm in that mosh pit somewhere

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

takes me back , used to go there on a Friday night after work , think the gigs would finish around 22:30 and then it would open up into a kinda nightclub so you could get nicely drunk until the small hours

and of course , your favourite band used to regularly play there  , I'm in that mosh pit somewhere

Off the top of my head, I've worked that stage at least three times all in 1988. Once when BP supported Aztec Camera and two nights running when BP supported The Fall. There maybe other times I'm completely oblivious (soz) too right now. The Fall gigs probably ended the support slot with me actually playing floor Tom (badly obvs) on the last song

Another Live video performance. This time from Boris (available until 10 May 2021)

Whilst this is excellent, I really cannot wait to get a proper gig again. It has been far too long. 

28 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

FNM have postponed (again) until next year.

I know it's probably for the best, but **** me I was looking forward to seeing them again.

Likewise! 😭

and it was going to be on a Friday so had planned a full weekend visit to brum. 

oh well, at least it hasn’t been cancelled outright like the Nick Cave gig :( 

I’ll see you there next year 🤣

fingers crossed they could have some new material by then too 🤞

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chance of a Gruff Rhys gig in August, limited tickets at a small venue, but you gotta be in it to win it.

I’m kind of presuming that by August, with both jabs done, a gig couldn’t possibly go wrong!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Chance of a Gruff Rhys gig in August, limited tickets at a small venue, but you gotta be in it to win it.

I’m kind of presuming that by August, with both jabs done, a gig couldn’t possibly go wrong!

Tbh without Mel Smith he’s nothing 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ah man, the Bambara gig at the Bristol Thekla in October 2021 has been rescheduled to next year 😭😭😭

To make matters worse, the rescheduled date is now midweek so no chance of going.

fingers crossed this isn’t a bad sign of things to come for other gigs later this year ☹️

update - just had a tweet from the band. The tour has been rescheduled due to COVID 😞

doesn’t bode well for other gigs... 

Edited by theboyangel

• 4 weeks later...

Pre-sale for mailing list peeps for Mogwai's show next Feb is on, bit gutted the show has moved from the Roundhouse to Ally Pally but really I'd just be happy for gigs to have started happening by that point.  If they are, it'll make 2022 the year I can cross both Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mogwai off the bucket list. 🤞

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

https://biteyourbrum.com/ramblings/the-flapper-pub-to-reopen-in-july/

So the Flapper closed its door January 2020 destined to be demolished for apartments (which the city centre did not need). 

So delighted to hear that it isn't being knocked down anymore and due to be reopened on 21 July 2021. 

Great little venue for new bands. Really pleased about this :D

That is great news, as is any small Indie music venue getting saved from devilopers

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Long shot but does anyone have any interest in two tickets to see White Lies tonight at Camden Powerhaus (formerly Dingwalls)? Having to self isolate due to my Son having a temperature, face value £40 a ticket

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, sne said:

Personally find them uninteresting but for those who don't Foo Fighters are coming to Villa Park next summer

7d856bd0-ff29-11eb-b11a-b71826c9aac9.jpg

Still think Sabbath missed a massive trick not playing their final show at Villa Park to be honest but there we are! This has probably been the best gig announced at Villa Park to date, although the competition is not high with Bon Jovi and Take That... 

Just now, MCU said:

Don't think I can justify paying the £100+ the tickets are going to cost... 🤮

Yeah, the prices for gigs are getting mad.

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis tour - there's a gig up the road from me - tickets are 95 quid plus fees for a decent seat.

Â