The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Two gigs this week.

wednesday Fangclub - bought on a whim, they’re a Dublin band that are quiet grunge like. Don’t know what to expect but less than a tenner!

Friday night - Phobophobes. Only heard a few tracks but like their sound! Will be streaming their album throughout the week.

• Like 1

I'm off to this on Saturday. Dead excited as it will be a fairly intimate type of gig as opposed to the larger warehouse/festival gigs.

Fatboy Slim at Cutty Sark | Think We're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat Party

Date and time: Saturday 5 October 2019 | General Entry 7pm | VIP Entry 6pm
Admission: Ticketed
Price: £38.50 - £58.50
Season: Cutty Sark Theatre

spacer.png

13 hours ago, theboyangel said:

wednesday Fangclub - bought on a whim, they’re a Dublin band that are quiet grunge like. Don’t know what to expect but less than a tenner!

I think Fontaines DC might have ruined anything coming from Dublin in the near future for me

13 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Friday night - Phobophobes. Only heard a few tracks but like their sound! Will be streaming their album throughout the week.

I shall by a ticket tomorrow. Shame you're leaving soon, just found out Moon Duo are playing the Invisible Wind Factory at the end of October

6 hours ago, bickster said:

I think Fontaines DC might have ruined anything coming from Dublin in the near future for me

I shall by a ticket tomorrow. Shame you're leaving soon, just found out Moon Duo are playing the Invisible Wind Factory at the end of October

Bugger!!!!!! That would be an awesome gig! 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Is that the Canadian borderline psychobilly band The Creepshow? 

Nope, it's the John Grant / Stephen Mallinder (Cabaret Voltaire) / Benge / Phil Winter (Tunng)electronic supergroup. Without John Grant they are known as Wrangler.

Until yesterday I thought they were a Radiohead tribute band.

I think your band is all one word, it's bugger to mooney though

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nope, it's the John Grant / Stephen Mallinder (Cabaret Voltaire) / Benge / Phil Winter (Tunng)electronic supergroup. Without John Grant they are known as Wrangler.

Until yesterday I thought they were a Radiohead tribute band.

I think your band is all one word, it's bugger to mooney though

I thought there might be a different one,  yes a bugger to mooney.

Creep Show Gig last night

I always find electronic gigs a bit odd as people playing computers isn't exactly fun to watch

But this gig definitely had some highlights... The support was Kincaid feat Blancmange, essentially Neil Arthur of Blancmange fame with his son Joe (AKA Kincaid). Interesting enough and a new version of Feel Me Now, the Blancmange hit was performed

Creep Show were also interesting but it was a bit electronica by numbers, I think nearly every tune had a reference to some other band from previous decades. Off the top of my head, there was a Kraftwerkesque numbber, a FLying lizards one, even a Tackhead one. A pleasant distraction of an evening rather than a great gig imo but the best was saved for the encore they weren't going to do until they knew Dennis and Lois were in the crowd. A version of Sensoria was played, this being a tune by Mallinder's main band in days gone by... Cabaret Voltaire.

Dennis and Lois are a pair of legendary US music fans, so well known on the circuit, they even come over from the states these days and do merch for bands but not only that, Happy Mondays actually wrote a song about them "Dennis and Lois". 

Considering John Grant is in this band I thought there would be a higher attendance, it wasn't a low turnout but I just thought there'd be more (quite happy that it wasn't tbh)

We chatted to D&L and had a bit of a catch up, talked to Mal and had a chat with Chris from the Distractions (also formerly of Factory Star / Blue Orchids)

A decent night but not a classic night

• Like 1

Went to see Black Flag the other night. As one of the original hardcore bands, thought it would be a good idea to see how they are live, given the impact that certainly "Damaged" had on the scene.

I already knew it was just the guitarist Greg Ginn and a bunch of hired hands but still would hoped for something decent still. Its hardcore punk, how hard can it be? Very, apparently. To say unimpressed would be a somewhat of understatement... 

To be fair, bass and drums were fine and just did their job, not a real issue. Maybe a bit more interaction but couldn't really complain, they were hired hands, nothing more, nothing less. 

The singer, who is actually a professional skateboarder Mike Vallely, should definitely stick to his day job, he certainly is no Henry Rollins. He was very slow in delivery and sounded like he was about a few beats behind the band. He also sounded exceptionally flat which I think is a feat in itself?! Given the songs are fast paced anyway, it somewhat means the songs lose purpose. There was also very limited interaction with the crowd, he barely moved throughout and there were large sections of the show when he had his back to the crowd. So yeah, I don't actually know whether he is a good skateboarder or not, but he certainly isn't a singer...

Now the guitarist, I know he is 65 years old, but he was less mobile than a bloody snail. Given how you see Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Judas Priest, even Ozzy f***ing Osbourne and can move around the stage a lot, it isn't good to stay in 1 place for the majority of the show. There was also a tendency to go off at points what seemed to be little jazz interludes. There has always been that "I'll do what I want attitude" with Black Flag, and that's fine, but pick your time. Halfway through your set, or a song that suites it, not a problem. It was the one right at the bloody end in the middle of your "Louie Louie" cover that just was completely wrong. The crowd looked utterly bemused not entirely sure the show had ended. It really just stifled any atmosphere (any that was left anyway) and ended the show on a complete flat note. Then to not even say goodnight, thank you, etc and to just simply either leave the stage immediately (guitarist) or start packing up your gear (bassist and drummer), it really left a lot to be desired. Only the singer actually spoke to some of the crowd at the end (off mic for some reason). 

So yeah, not impressed. 

Going to see "Blood Brothers" on Saturday. No idea what it's about, all I know is Lyn Paul is in it; I used to fancy her like mad when I was a kid, I bet she doesn't look as nice now.

In four weeks, Buckcherry at the Robin 2;

Four weeks later, Dinosaur Pile Up at the Academy;

Next April Dinosaur Pile Up again at Kentish Town O2.

48 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Going to see "Blood Brothers" on Saturday. No idea what it's about, all I know is Lyn Paul is in it; I used to fancy her like mad when I was a kid, I bet she doesn't look as nice now.

In four weeks, Buckcherry at the Robin 2;

Four weeks later, Dinosaur Pile Up at the Academy;

Next April Dinosaur Pile Up again at Kentish Town O2.

Blood Brothers

Musical Theatre and Scouse :puke:

Nurture vs Nature with songs

In other words, find an excuse, any excuse

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Blood Brothers

Musical Theatre and Scouse :puke:

Nurture vs Nature with songs

In other words, find an excuse, any excuse

In my defence, I will say it's not costing me. Brother in law has paid :)

Going for Italian nosh beforehand as well, and even getting a lift home. I really shouldn't complain...

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

Went to see Black Flag the other night. As one of the original hardcore bands, thought it would be a good idea to see how they are live, given the impact that certainly "Damaged" had on the scene.

I already knew it was just the guitarist Greg Ginn and a bunch of hired hands but still would hoped for something decent still. Its hardcore punk, how hard can it be? Very, apparently. To say unimpressed would be a somewhat of understatement... 

To be fair, bass and drums were fine and just did their job, not a real issue. Maybe a bit more interaction but couldn't really complain, they were hired hands, nothing more, nothing less. 

The singer, who is actually a professional skateboarder Mike Vallely, should definitely stick to his day job, he certainly is no Henry Rollins. He was very slow in delivery and sounded like he was about a few beats behind the band. He also sounded exceptionally flat which I think is a feat in itself?! Given the songs are fast paced anyway, it somewhat means the songs lose purpose. There was also very limited interaction with the crowd, he barely moved throughout and there were large sections of the show when he had his back to the crowd. So yeah, I don't actually know whether he is a good skateboarder or not, but he certainly isn't a singer...

Now the guitarist, I know he is 65 years old, but he was less mobile than a bloody snail. Given how you see Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Judas Priest, even Ozzy f***ing Osbourne and can move around the stage a lot, it isn't good to stay in 1 place for the majority of the show. There was also a tendency to go off at points what seemed to be little jazz interludes. There has always been that "I'll do what I want attitude" with Black Flag, and that's fine, but pick your time. Halfway through your set, or a song that suites it, not a problem. It was the one right at the bloody end in the middle of your "Louie Louie" cover that just was completely wrong. The crowd looked utterly bemused not entirely sure the show had ended. It really just stifled any atmosphere (any that was left anyway) and ended the show on a complete flat note. Then to not even say goodnight, thank you, etc and to just simply either leave the stage immediately (guitarist) or start packing up your gear (bassist and drummer), it really left a lot to be desired. Only the singer actually spoke to some of the crowd at the end (off mic for some reason). 

So yeah, not impressed. 

I made the right call swerving that one then. 

Â