The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Gods of rap ..sounds like hell

I saw De La Soul a few years ago at Bestival ..well , when I say saw , I watched 2 songs then left and went to another stage as my ears couldn't take any more

Public Enemy supported Stone Roses the other year ... If i recall @Risso and I adjourned to the bar to escape the noise (tbf  was quite a messy day and memories are somewhat hazy of the whole day , he might be along in a second to say I was singing along word for word to every song :) )

Nah he's still too busy forensically examining a Bronski Beat video to spot me to be bothered with that :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Gods of rap ..sounds like hell

I saw De La Soul a few years ago at Bestival ..well , when I say saw , I watched 2 songs then left and went to another stage as my ears couldn't take any more

Public Enemy supported Stone Roses the other year ... If i recall @Risso and I adjourned to the bar to escape the noise (tbf  was quite a messy day and memories are somewhat hazy of the whole day , he might be along in a second to say I was singing along word for word to every song :) )

I don't think we are their target market Tony!  But you're right, they were bloody awful, even as well oiled as we were.  Paul Heaton was rather marvellous though, that rendition of Caravan of Love will live long in the memory.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Nah he's still too busy forensically examining a Bronski Beat video to spot me to be bothered with that :mrgreen:

Found you I reckon, although your hair was darker back then. 😂

One on the right with your sailor "friend"!

Screenshot 2019-01-22 at 13.07.42.png

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Risso said:

Found you I reckon, although your hair was darker back then. 😂

One on the right with your sailor "friend"!

Nope :mrgreen: Definitely at 0:56 and 1:47 and probably a number of other's too quick to notice. It's funny there's a whole load of people whose names I remember but haven't seen for decades in there

Got friends visiting this weekend, potentially three gigs in three days - two of my favourite local bands on Friday and Saturday, and Israel Nash at the Brudenell on Sunday. I suspect that the Friday one may fall victim, sadly. 

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Might be going to Foo Fighters this year. Anyone seen them live? 

Not since they played Leeds Cockpit in 1995 (huge price of £7 per ticket!)

Dave Grohl was pretty awesome to be fair. 

On 25/12/2018 at 18:12, Davkaus said:

I'm going to see Parkway Drive + Killswitch Engage the night before though, can't wait.

That was bloody incredible, one of the best gigs I've been to in years. Not the best band, not in  my top 5, but the sheer energy  in the performance and the crowd was immense, unlike anything I've felt in an arena performance.

I should have worn earplugs,  I can't hear from  my right ear. :( 

Edited by Davkaus

A couple of reports from this week (so far)

Pete Wylie on Saturday at the British Music Experience. A rather flat gig and my old mate seems to be a bit of a broken man, the spark has gone and I think his latest album will fall flat. It's a real shame

Beak> at Gorilla in Manchester, however, was fantastic. We got there just as the support was starting, He was absolutely bonkers. A French solo artist who essentially plays the drums has synths as a backing track and bashes a guitar with drumsticks as part of his kit which he plays standing up. I've looked for a clip of him on Youtube to no avail, his name is Ure. It's like a cross between Iggy Pop (He does take his top off, he does jump into the audience, he tweaks his nipples and rubs his cock) Ozzy Osbourne (He completely stops playing at one point, jumps into the audience and sings in unintelligible French - a kind of changes moment) DAF and a Post Punk Andrea Belfi. I really think the only word that does justice to this fella in BONKERS. The audience was really unsure at first but had really warmed to him by halfway through his set, by the end they were really appreciative, the longer it went on the more they got it

Onto Beak> they were on great form and the banter between the songs really added to the occasion with Geoff Barrow and Billy Fuller riffing off each other, taking the piss out of each other and generally insulting each other, then ganging up on Will Young (not that one). The music was spot on, very tight as their Krauty grooves demand. The band clearly enjoyed themselves and the audience again was really appreciative.

After the gig, I got introduced to Marc Riley who then pretended to arrest me for crimes I may have committed against Mark E Smith many years ago (A story not to be aired in a public forum)

A top night and I'm getting used to this going to a gig and not drinking

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

After the gig, I got introduced to Marc Riley who then pretended to arrest me for crimes I may have committed against Mark E Smith many years ago (A story not to be aired in a public forum)

Mark E Smith unleashed enough crimes against us with his music , so i find you not guilty , however many times you Michael Jackson'd him

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2019 at 17:54, KenjiOgiwara said:

Might be going to Foo Fighters this year. Anyone seen them live? 

Seen them 6 times in the last 6 years or so, well worth the cost of the ticket each time. If you get the chance to see them take it as they’re very good live👍

• Thanks 1

Â