The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

I just had a text asking if I was all up n ready for tomorrow night's gig.

A great text, as I'd utterly forgotten. Anyway, it's the Alabama 3 winter tour and I reckon this gig will make them the band I've seen the most.

source.gif

Off to see Star Wars in concert tonight at Cardiff Indoor Arena.

Worst Venue in town imo. No idea who/what orchestra it is as a mate has got the tickets.

Never knew we'd be playing on Friday Night when he booked them so the clash is unavoidable.

Anyway I'll be on the look out for any trombonists bibbing in Leia's Theme. Apparently that's a thing ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Worst Venue in town imo. No idea who/what orchestra it is as a mate has got the tickets.

Never knew we'd be playing on Friday Night when he booked them so the clash is unavoidable.

Anyway I'll be on the look out for any trombonists bibbing in Leia's Theme. Apparently that's a thing ;)

CIA used to have competition in the old Ice Rink, but since that was demolished the CIA is in a shitness league all of its own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Clue in the name

• Like 1

Dunno whose tweet that is, just a good pic.

That was..... well, weirdly brilliant.

So they actually showed the film, just without the music on the soundtrack, only with a live Orchestra. (The Novello Orchestra)

Getting the moans out the way, the CIA has terrible acoustics. Now Ive been to a fair few gigs down there over the years now and I'm amazed they didn't have the big sound curtains out on the sides because the acoustics are so shite and more annoyingly the whole movie track was far too loud, drowning out the orchestra at times and in the time they are just sat there waiting for the next cue it was booming. My mate had booked seats on the centre balcony though so I'm guessing we had the worst of the sound up there. The Orchestra was hardly lit at all during performance, going for the accompaniment in a pit vibe, which was a real shame as we've seen the film bit a million times already and everyone actually wanted to see the musicians. They didn't play the Cantina band bits, that was on the soundtrack.

Having said all that from the first blast of horns that accompanied the 20th Century Fox logo I think we all knew we were in for a treat.

I kept thinking it was a rather elaborate click-track for the orchestra. And as such, it was impressive. Getting every note in place with our own visual cues.

Props to the moth that made 2 appearances in the film when it flew through and hovered in the projector beams a bit and MrsVM now knows how big a real harp is. First time she's ever seen an Orchestra live.

16 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

CIA used to have competition in the old Ice Rink, but since that was demolished the CIA is in a shitness league all of its own.

My favourite gig ever was there 20 years or so ago. But then it was Pearl Jam, so one of my favourite bands of all time, and I was in my 20's and there were about 12 of us descended on Cardiff from the hills to see them for the first ever time. So it was just the whole right band, right friends, right time kinda vibe that will live in legend in my social circle. Rather than anything good about the venue.

It is a pretty good venue for comedy. But it's a feckin' barn so you need a really big draw to fill it.

But yeah, it's just not really built for music is it?

Madness tonight at the O2 with the boy who for unknown reasons has become a fan 

slight worry on the age policy of 16 (he’s 14) , mainly I don’t think they will give a monkeys but there’s always one stickler and I’m bound to find him ...

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Madness tonight at the O2 with the boy who for unknown reasons has become a fan 

slight worry on the age policy of 16 (he’s 14) , mainly I don’t think they will give a monkeys but there’s always one stickler and I’m bound to find him ...

But they are a band that have always appealed to kids. That policy is, er, madness. 

• Like 1

On 04/08/2018 at 19:35, Davkaus said:

I've just been told I need to go to Coventry (I know) on Tuesday.

The Tuesday that Maiden are at the NEC. **** it. I'm going to see them again. :D 

Call me a nutter, but after driving up to Newcastle to see this tour, then again in Coventry, I've booked tickets to see the last date of the international tour next year, in Chile. We're planning a holiday around it. :lol:

**** love Maiden, they can't have many tours left, and I'm getting to any gig I can.

• Like 1

Last gig of the year on Saturday with Clutch. Really looking forward to it, bloody love them! 

Top that with finishing work today and Villa playing on Sunday it’s looking like it’s going to be a cracking pre-Christmas weekend! :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Got tickets for Isaiah Osbourne for Xmas. Can take him or leave him in terms of solo, but looking forward to it. 

He's doing OK at Walsall ;)

Â