The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

7 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Was there too. There was a lot of new stuff, which can be a little frustrating, but I enjoyed most of them. Agree on missing classics which would have made it brilliant! 

Arenas though - how many idiots a) can’t find their seats, b) have to constantly get up to go to loo/beer and c) leave before the end?! 

Yeah that drove me crazy. Eugene, the support, had absolutely no chance of his act hitting the mark with all that going on.

I liked most of the new stuff, but the one about the Satanic anagrams went on way too long and wasn't that funny. And the one near the end about the seagull was a bit shit.

I missed songs like Business Time and the Hiphopapotamus vs Rhymenocerus (however the **** you spell it!)
And the last time i saw them they played "Jenny" which isn't that good of a song, but came over really really funny done live.

A good sign is my OH, who had never even heard of FOTC, really enjoyed it. She had no idea what to even expect when we went. My attempts to try and explain it was a sort of half stand up, half singing show fell on deaf ears.

• Like 1

I was there last night, really enjoyed it. Really LOL'ed at Nigel on hurt feelings.

Hole and sole line had be in stiches.

Quite a good mix of classics and a few songs I hadn't heard before (including the seagull).

Its been 15-20 years since I was last at the NEC, I couldn't remember it taking so long to leave the arena.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that drove me crazy. Eugene, the support, had absolutely no chance of his act hitting the mark with all that going on.

I liked most of the new stuff, but the one about the Satanic anagrams went on way too long and wasn't that funny. And the one near the end about the seagull was a bit shit.

I missed songs like Business Time and the Hiphopapotamus vs Rhymenocerus (however the **** you spell it!)
And the last time i saw them they played "Jenny" which isn't that good of a song, but came over really really funny done live.

A good sign is my OH, who had never even heard of FOTC, really enjoyed it. She had no idea what to even expect when we went. My attempts to try and explain it was a sort of half stand up, half singing show fell on deaf ears.

This. Definitely missed these 2.

And good on OH, a sign of a good show if someone who doesn’t have a clue can enjoy it! My OH came as well but is a massive fan and loved it. 

5 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Arenas though - how many idiots a) can’t find their seats, b) have to constantly get up to go to loo/beer and c) leave before the end?! 

Once someone gets Arena sized, they would have to be hugely special to me for me to even consider it.

Hell after my EATB experience the other week, I'm only going to all seater concert hall shows for particular bands.

I like to stand and I like to be able to jostle for a good spec

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Unused Sub said:

I was there last night, really enjoyed it. Really LOL'ed at Nigel on hurt feelings.

Hole and sole line had be in stiches.

Quite a good mix of classics and a few songs I hadn't heard before (including the seagull).

Its been 15-20 years since I was last at the NEC, I couldn't remember it taking so long to leave the arena.

Ah I was lucky in that I was sat right next to an exit and we were the end two seats on the row.

So as soon as they finished the encore we were up and out in seconds.

On 26/06/2018 at 09:31, Robbie09 said:

Saw Kasabian at the O2 Bristol on wednesday and then Foo Fighters on Saturday at Wet Spams ground. Both excellent in very contrasting venues

saw kasabian in the civic before the 3rd album in their festival warm up show, was incredible

say what you like about them (he's a cock and the albums are full of filler) they put a great show on

Saw Pearl Jam at the Stadio Olympico last Tuesday. Second time for me 18 years after seeing them in Cardiff.

Firstly, anyone going to see them later in the tour should hopefully have no worries about Eddie - he was on ********* fire! Thought I'd get that in first just to quell a few nerves.

Secondly I'll stick this review here in a box so if a lot of Pearl Jam talk can be skipped over easily for any phone dwelling philistines. :P

Spoiler

Blimey, where to start with everything else though. Sad really (In a how insidious is VT exactly :blink: ) that one of my first thoughts when leaving was about how I'll have to dig up one of @maqroll's threads from a while ago about venues. I am still in a state of shock that I went to a stadium gig and had an absolutely amazing time. Stadio Olympico is a rather pretty stadium. Nice little touches everywhere and I liked the 'Hollywood stars' style walkways leading up to the stadium with what I presumed was the medalists from the Rome Olympics back in the day which were all over the place. Bit of construction work going on around and obviously all kitted out for a gig rather than the footie but there's loads of green spaces all around it with some lush bridges leading over the river to it from the centre of Rome. If we ever get to play the likes of Lazio or Roma (I'm a dreamer!) I'd definitely be tempted to go over again. So was a bit nuts standing at pitch level on such an iconic venue, which in my living memory staged the 1990 World Cup final and all Italy's games up until the Ireland QF - and for me, knowing this was where Gazza graced the pitch while over in Italy and where McGrath, Staunton, Houghton, Townsend et al went out of the World Cup, weirdly made me all tingly before the gig even started. You could drink and smoke in the crowd, which after years of going to gigs over here where it's all a bit restricted at times was like a blast from the past tbh. No support band, just the first half of Argentina v Nigeria screened in the stadium, which after far too long missing random group games from being away was wicked from a selfish point of view, not sure MrsVM agreed :D.

Anyhow dusk O'Clock comes around the lights go down, the roadies get a few cheers, the smoke machines start pumping and - Release - Elderly Woman - Interstellar Overdrive - Corduroy - Why Go - Evolution - The rest becomes a bit of a blur. The beer MrsVM got doused in, the hairy Italian guy in the Rage T-Shirt and the buffeting of the mini mosh breaking out surrounded not by unhappy glares, but by massive smiles from ridiculously scantily clad Italian women, possibly overly-groomed Italian males and everyone stood around filming it on their mobiles amongst the complete and utter randoms like us. Even Flow was in there somewhere MFC was fun (sounds like there's another band playing over there!), Lightening Bolt and Immortality were mint and memorable moments. Stone got up and did Mankind I think it was (I ******* love No Code me). Got big hugs from my new sweaty Rage mate for belting out Animal with him even though I couldn't understand a word he said to me. Loads of smiles. Porch comes on and it all goes nuts again.

Bit more chilled when they came out for the encore. Bastards played Just Breathe which has sentimental meaning for me from a mate of mine being in a coma a while back and I'm blubbing like I don't know what with a massive grin on my face like this is the most perfect moment. Then Eddie's reading Italian badly and banging on about politics and starts murdering Imagine so my mind wanders I start checking out all the rigging and lights and pulleys and LED screenage as I'm prone to do when I'm a bit bored and I saw as I looked up towards the sky....wtf? did I just see?.... I turned to the lovely MrsVM and asked her if she too just saw a shooting star go right over the top of the stage, but then we decided we were pissed and then I saw a few birds flying about getting caught in the lights and decided I was getting a bit too carried away. Then Daughter brought it all back to the realm of Pearl Jam and belting it out with my new found jumping up and down buddies and smiles and hand shakes and mutual respects despite no common tongue except that of a far too extensive knowledge of Pearl Jam lyrics. I had said to MrsVM in the lead up that in 2000 I was a bit gutted we didn't get State of Love and Trust or Rear View Mirror in Cardiff so when State kicked in I was grinning like a demon and bouncing like I was 20something again. And then Jeremy and all the OldSkoolers are happy before the encore is over with some of that latter album stuff - you know some Pearl Jam song or other that sounds like a Pearl Jam song and all the women have got their phones out with their lights on and Betterman is here anyway and it's all rather euphoric.

And it's been going for hours at this point they played and played and played and played - on stage about 9.15pm it was way gone midnight by the time they left the building. MrsVM wondered if it was over, I said we haven't had Alive or Black and there's no way Eddie is leaving this stadium full of Italian supermodel types hanging on that sort of shit so we stayed put as they wondered back out for the second encore proclaiming to want to carry on playing until they kick them off. And so it was that they kinda murder but kinda somehow perfectly chuck a bit of Comfortably Numb in there from left-wing and McCready getting a spangly solo on the big screens Then Black - REAR VIEW ******* MIRROR! YAY! - Alive - and Rockin' in the Free World. Playing Alive and some Neil Young as the lights were brought up in the stadium and riggers were stripping shit off the sides of the stage. And we stumbled out into the Rome night up the steps of this amazing place in the blazing heat of nightfall. And Given to Fly was in there somewhere and Eruption and Lukin but it's all a bit blurry and the only thing I know is I have a new best stadium gig ever for Maqroll's list, and I've just experienced the best Xmas present I reckon I have ever had and therefore I have the best MrsVM a Villamarv could want and I know I just enriched my soul and in a place where I'm always prone to hyperbole I can tell you all I had one of THE best nights of my entire life.

Lights were fun if not massively spectacular (no lasers and such) but I love the fact that they didn't just chuck a load of moving heads everywhere and call it a day and put some thought into it. Nice use of the halogen strip flood thingamys in Lightning Bolt, some lush lantern thingys brought down on the pulleys n that for the slower stuff. Must have been a good show for those poor souls up in the seats and they all got to sway in the Aisles to Black n that so who cares as long as everyone's getting something out of this all encompassing trip right? The close ups in HD on the screens showed the lines on their faces but with TEN like 25 years old we're none of us spring chickens eh? but the bars were still serving as you left the Arena at like 12:30 am just over 3 hours basically and what a show.

Italian dude with the undercut and Rage T-Shirt wherever you are out there in the ether - I love and salute you brother.

Oh and then I get home and it turns out I wasn't mad (top left about 3:06)

Youtube - Imagine - Pearl Jam Live 2018 @Rome - SHOOTING STAR CROSSES THE SKY Roma Stadio Olimpico 26/06/2018

You know when you see one of your favourite bands and they ******* rock? And the universe does stuff and you bear witness to it all? And you communicate with people without a word from a faraway land?

Yeah man, ******* yeah!!

In summary - :clap:

• Like 3

I have Two tickets in the Gold Circle for Roger Waters Hyde Park this Friday...and I can’t go. If anyone wants them let me know.

Face Value £130 each but I’m happy to pretty much give them away..better than binning them.

Edited by terrytini

Just got to Rock Werchter. It's so fecking hot and will stay that way all weekend. This 4 day festival is going to be a proper endurance test. Will be fun though.

Saw QOTSA on Saturday in Finsbury Park. Awesome gig, but shambolic bars/toilet. Missed the whole of Iggy's set queuing up for 1 drink at the bar. Took 2 hours. Disgraceful in 25-30 degree heat.

Just bought tickets to see Soccer Mommy and Snail Mail at the Hare and Hounds (separate gigs). The Snail Mail album is something else, her song writing abilities for a 19 year old in a debut album is pretty special.

Edited by PieFacE

On 30/06/2018 at 23:10, VILLAMARV said:

Saw Pearl Jam at the Stadio Olympico last Tuesday. Second time for me 18 years after seeing them in Cardiff.

Firstly, anyone going to see them later in the tour should hopefully have no worries about Eddie - he was on ********* fire! Thought I'd get that in first just to quell a few nerves.

Secondly I'll stick this review here in a box so if a lot of Pearl Jam talk can be skipped over easily for any phone dwelling philistines. :P

Hide contents

Blimey, where to start with everything else though. Sad really (In a how insidious is VT exactly :blink: ) that one of my first thoughts when leaving was about how I'll have to dig up one of @maqroll's threads from a while ago about venues. I am still in a state of shock that I went to a stadium gig and had an absolutely amazing time. Stadio Olympico is a rather pretty stadium. Nice little touches everywhere and I liked the 'Hollywood stars' style walkways leading up to the stadium with what I presumed was the medalists from the Rome Olympics back in the day which were all over the place. Bit of construction work going on around and obviously all kitted out for a gig rather than the footie but there's loads of green spaces all around it with some lush bridges leading over the river to it from the centre of Rome. If we ever get to play the likes of Lazio or Roma (I'm a dreamer!) I'd definitely be tempted to go over again. So was a bit nuts standing at pitch level on such an iconic venue, which in my living memory staged the 1990 World Cup final and all Italy's games up until the Ireland QF - and for me, knowing this was where Gazza graced the pitch while over in Italy and where McGrath, Staunton, Houghton, Townsend et al went out of the World Cup, weirdly made me all tingly before the gig even started. You could drink and smoke in the crowd, which after years of going to gigs over here where it's all a bit restricted at times was like a blast from the past tbh. No support band, just the first half of Argentina v Nigeria screened in the stadium, which after far too long missing random group games from being away was wicked from a selfish point of view, not sure MrsVM agreed :D.

Anyhow dusk O'Clock comes around the lights go down, the roadies get a few cheers, the smoke machines start pumping and - Release - Elderly Woman - Interstellar Overdrive - Corduroy - Why Go - Evolution - The rest becomes a bit of a blur. The beer MrsVM got doused in, the hairy Italian guy in the Rage T-Shirt and the buffeting of the mini mosh breaking out surrounded not by unhappy glares, but by massive smiles from ridiculously scantily clad Italian women, possibly overly-groomed Italian males and everyone stood around filming it on their mobiles amongst the complete and utter randoms like us. Even Flow was in there somewhere MFC was fun (sounds like there's another band playing over there!), Lightening Bolt and Immortality were mint and memorable moments. Stone got up and did Mankind I think it was (I ******* love No Code me). Got big hugs from my new sweaty Rage mate for belting out Animal with him even though I couldn't understand a word he said to me. Loads of smiles. Porch comes on and it all goes nuts again.

Bit more chilled when they came out for the encore. Bastards played Just Breathe which has sentimental meaning for me from a mate of mine being in a coma a while back and I'm blubbing like I don't know what with a massive grin on my face like this is the most perfect moment. Then Eddie's reading Italian badly and banging on about politics and starts murdering Imagine so my mind wanders I start checking out all the rigging and lights and pulleys and LED screenage as I'm prone to do when I'm a bit bored and I saw as I looked up towards the sky....wtf? did I just see?.... I turned to the lovely MrsVM and asked her if she too just saw a shooting star go right over the top of the stage, but then we decided we were pissed and then I saw a few birds flying about getting caught in the lights and decided I was getting a bit too carried away. Then Daughter brought it all back to the realm of Pearl Jam and belting it out with my new found jumping up and down buddies and smiles and hand shakes and mutual respects despite no common tongue except that of a far too extensive knowledge of Pearl Jam lyrics. I had said to MrsVM in the lead up that in 2000 I was a bit gutted we didn't get State of Love and Trust or Rear View Mirror in Cardiff so when State kicked in I was grinning like a demon and bouncing like I was 20something again. And then Jeremy and all the OldSkoolers are happy before the encore is over with some of that latter album stuff - you know some Pearl Jam song or other that sounds like a Pearl Jam song and all the women have got their phones out with their lights on and Betterman is here anyway and it's all rather euphoric.

And it's been going for hours at this point they played and played and played and played - on stage about 9.15pm it was way gone midnight by the time they left the building. MrsVM wondered if it was over, I said we haven't had Alive or Black and there's no way Eddie is leaving this stadium full of Italian supermodel types hanging on that sort of shit so we stayed put as they wondered back out for the second encore proclaiming to want to carry on playing until they kick them off. And so it was that they kinda murder but kinda somehow perfectly chuck a bit of Comfortably Numb in there from left-wing and McCready getting a spangly solo on the big screens Then Black - REAR VIEW ******* MIRROR! YAY! - Alive - and Rockin' in the Free World. Playing Alive and some Neil Young as the lights were brought up in the stadium and riggers were stripping shit off the sides of the stage. And we stumbled out into the Rome night up the steps of this amazing place in the blazing heat of nightfall. And Given to Fly was in there somewhere and Eruption and Lukin but it's all a bit blurry and the only thing I know is I have a new best stadium gig ever for Maqroll's list, and I've just experienced the best Xmas present I reckon I have ever had and therefore I have the best MrsVM a Villamarv could want and I know I just enriched my soul and in a place where I'm always prone to hyperbole I can tell you all I had one of THE best nights of my entire life.

Lights were fun if not massively spectacular (no lasers and such) but I love the fact that they didn't just chuck a load of moving heads everywhere and call it a day and put some thought into it. Nice use of the halogen strip flood thingamys in Lightning Bolt, some lush lantern thingys brought down on the pulleys n that for the slower stuff. Must have been a good show for those poor souls up in the seats and they all got to sway in the Aisles to Black n that so who cares as long as everyone's getting something out of this all encompassing trip right? The close ups in HD on the screens showed the lines on their faces but with TEN like 25 years old we're none of us spring chickens eh? but the bars were still serving as you left the Arena at like 12:30 am just over 3 hours basically and what a show.

Italian dude with the undercut and Rage T-Shirt wherever you are out there in the ether - I love and salute you brother.

Oh and then I get home and it turns out I wasn't mad (top left about 3:06)

Youtube - Imagine - Pearl Jam Live 2018 @Rome - SHOOTING STAR CROSSES THE SKY Roma Stadio Olimpico 26/06/2018

You know when you see one of your favourite bands and they ******* rock? And the universe does stuff and you bear witness to it all? And you communicate with people without a word from a faraway land?

Yeah man, ******* yeah!!

In summary - :clap:

sounds promising for me next week in Madrid  - PJ are due to be on stage 23:20 to 1:25  , but next act on that stage MGMT aren't due on until 2:50  so hopefully they will carry on a bit longer , Kasabian are on the other stage at 1:30 , but I only know one of their songs so wont care if I miss them  :)

Hopefully so, not sure if they are on @PieFacE's to do list at Rock Werchter? Might find out what their festival bit is all about. As others have said they change it up every day from gig to gig more than anyone else I know of.

If I focused on what wasn't there - There was no Once, no Go, no Nothing as it Seems or Yellow Ledbetter, No Spin the black Circle which were all mint in 2000 etc I want to see them do things I haven't like Habit and Off He Goes and Present Tense, Glorified G, Indifference, Dissident, Blood, Rats, Whipping...LEASH!! (The last 4 are now at the top of my 'I would like to see Pearl Jam perform these songs before we all die' list I think). But they pretty much played what everyone had gone to hear in Rome and then some. Maybe I lucked out.

Walking around the day after the gig in my Pearl Jam T-shirt (Coz we're so cool with our bald patches and dad-rock attire - When/how did this happen?) Americans stopped me in the street a couple of times going "12:30 though, right, amirite?" causing me to lurch backwards in horror the first time, before I realised they wanted to talk about Pearl Jam and how they'd flown in from Cali and all that. A nice Kiwi bloke from Doncaster asked if I was in "Tin club". I am not. We weren't going to be sitting together. anyway joking aside top bloke :thumb: hope he had a good 'un.

While I'm thinking of it too - a quick thought on all you soulless, brainless, wobbly handed phone junkies who proceed to record every gig I go to, in full, on your bleeding phones. Mostly pointing at the video screens when you're round by me at the back because the little 'ant-people' on the stage are so far away I might add, the point of which escapes me. It is my right - nay - My duty, off the back of my own musical journey, to berate you, scowl at you, judge you, dance wildly next to you secretly hoping that I ruin your shot or knock you into actually moving a little bit while you miss out on the collective experience happening all around you. And then come home, flick on youtube and watch every single one of them even with the rubbish sound and some word removed's arms in the way ;)

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

While I'm thinking of it too - a quick thought on all you soulless, brainless, wobbly handed phone junkies who proceed to record every gig I go to, in full, on your bleeding phones. Mostly pointing at the video screens when you're round by me at the back because the little 'ant-people' on the stage are so far away I might add, the point of which escapes me. It is my right - nay - My duty, off the back of my own musical journey, to berate you, scowl at you, judge you, dance wildly next to you secretly hoping that I ruin your shot or knock you into actually moving a little bit while you miss out on the collective experience happening all around you. And then come home, flick on youtube and watch every single one of them even with the rubbish sound and some word removed's arms in the way ;)

giphy.gif

Good work , I usually do the same , but undo all my good work by then helpfully telling them that if they hold their iphone in landscape they will get the full screen video when they play it back rather than that crappy box view everyone gets because they are retarded 

I’m a confused anarchist at times :) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Good work , I usually do the same , but undo all my good work by then helpfully telling them that if they hold their iphone in landscape they will get the full screen video when they play it back rather than that crappy box view everyone gets because they are restarted 

I’m a confused anarchist at times :)

Damn restarts ;)

19 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Remember I said their 2012 gig is one of the best I've ever seen? Well, I finally found a use for all those filming sheep. Some absolute nutter took all those random footage's from yutube and synced them up with the official bootleg, so the sound is as played on the night directly from the audio technician. Then uploaded the whole thing to youtube. I can' t even imagine what a monster chore that must have been, but THANK YOU!!

• Like 1

Have seen some pretty alright local gigs just at pubs, although it's not a pastime that I frequent.

The one time I did pay $80 for a ticket to a concert was for Kanye West. Terrible show.

Roger Waters was good last night

slightly blotted it with a few anti Trump rants , just play music man leave the incoherent rambling to expert on social media  , but other than that it was great 

Richard Ashcroft was a good support and even managed to get around to see Squeeze on the smaller stage 

stayed in town and managed to get a live band in a random bar til 3am as well ... bonus

Â