The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I saw Elton John at Wembley Stadium in 1975, the day that the "Captain Fantastic" album (the follow-up to "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road") came out. He opened up with a few hits, which went down really well, and then announced that they were going to play the whole of the new album. At least half the audience (including me and my girlfriend) immediately headed for the exits. 

Bad album? I don't mind some of his work.

29 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Bad album? I don't mind some of his work.

Well, it was the first one after a blockbuster run, to have no hit singles on it. 

But the point was, it was totally unfamiliar - literally nobody in the audience had heard a single note of it at that point. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, it was the first one after a blockbuster run, to have no hit singles on it. 

But the point was, it was totally unfamiliar - literally nobody in the audience had heard a single note of it at that point. 

It could have been a masterpiece, and you went. Do you think songs instantly become classics? I think Zep first aired stairway to heaven in Belfast, I think I read. It came over well, but I wonder if the audience went away thinking they had heard something special. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It could have been a masterpiece, and you went.

I wasn't a big Elton John fan - I'd gone mainly for the Beach Boys and the Eagles. I didn't mind hearing a few of his hits, but it was getting late, and we were hitchhiking back to Birmingham, so we decided to make a getaway, rather than sitting (actually I think we may have been standing) through up to an hour of totally unfamiliar songs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And Brian. And Al. And that other bloke who we don't mention. 

Ha, yeah :) Unleash The Love my arse.

Saw Brian doing Smile in '04, that was great. Shame I didn't really start gigging til I met the current missus.

9 hours ago, choffer said:

Looks like we're going to have to wait a month for @LakotaDakota to give us his review of OTR II.

Well it wasn't completely shit i guess. The stage show was very good. Gigantic screens, Huge wall of dancers & musicians in the middle and a stage that rolled down the 2 runways shown below over the heads of the people in the central grey bit but not being a fan of either & knowing about 4 songs out of a 2 and a half hour set didn't really help. They are good at what they do and there are not many people out there doing well over 2 hours anymore so better value than most but it just isn't for me, Wife loved it and most other people there seemed to be having a good time but i ended up spending over half an hour of it sat outside in the sun overlooking the river drinking & smoking :)

Probably one of the best organised things i have ever been to at a stadium, hundreds of staff who all actually seemed helpful, clear signs & very speedy queues for different entrance points as they had sectioned off the pitch into about 5 different parts (we were in the purple bit below), Loads of well staffed bars with barely any waiting & despite the price if you are going to anything at the principality stadium then i would suggest the city centre holiday inn as a good place to stay as it is pretty much on the car park behind the notrh stand so was easy to stagger back to.

c2pOALJ.gif

i1l14A9.jpg

A pleasant enough 2 days spent in cardiff but will enjoy the foo fighters in London more in a couple of weeks

If anyone cares the setlist was a gigantic 42 songs (or at least parts of 42 songs) , yes it really was that long

1. Holy Grail
2. Part II (On the Run)
3. ’03 Bonnie & Clyde
4. Drunk in Love
5. Irreplaceable (Interlude)
6. Diva (with segments of “Dirt Off Your Shoulder”)
7. On to the Next One
8. F**kwithmeyouknowigotit
9. ***Flawless
10. Feeling Myself
11. Top Off
12. Naughty Girl
13. Big Pimpin’
14. Run This Town
15. Baby Boy
16. You Don’t Love Me
17. Bam
18. Hold Up / Countdown
19. Sorry / Me, Myself & I
20. 99 Problems
21. Ring the Alarm
22. Don’t Hurt Yourself
23. I Care
24. 4:44
25. No Church in the Wild
26. Song Cry / MaNyfaCedGod
27. Resentment
28. Family Feud
29. Upgrade U
30. Ni***s in Paris
31. Beach Is Better
32. Formation
33. Run the World (Girls)
34. Public Service Announcement
35. The Story of O.J.
36. Déjà Vu
37. Show Me What You Got
38. Crazy in Love
39. Freedom
40. U Don’t Know
41. Perfect Duet
42. Young Forever

Edited by LakotaDakota

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Arctic Monkeys royal albert hall

Best band in the world in the best venue in the world 

Definitely not in the first instance. I've been to a few gigs at the Albert Hall, I remember going to see the Bunnymen there in the 80's around the time Never Stop was released as a single (The Albert Hall is on the cover), that was a great gig. Enjoy it if you can get over the singers whiney chalk on a blackboard voice

• Haha 1

We was going to get a day ticket for download tomorrow to watch GNFR. They are doing a marathon 3-4 hour set, which will be great. Because my wife started her new job Monday we can't really get anyone to have the kids for the day/night because her and my mum are the childcare whilst we are at work. Instead of rocking out and drinking at 8 in the morning, I'll be putting a flat roof on instead ?

Positive Vibrations Reggae Festival for me this weekend. Lee Perry and the Subatomic Sound System is the main event tonight. Scheduling's bit mad tonight though because Mungos are on at the same time and it also clashes with Channel One Sound System too which is all a bit of a shame. I'll look in on all of those plus probably Dreadzone, The Dub Pistols will have to be swerved though, not really a fan anyway but they clash with absolutely everything else I'd prefer to see.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Lee Perry and the Subatomic Sound System .......Mungos....... Channel One Sound System

Oh dear, I've just made a mess.

RandyMarshJizz.jpg

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/06/2018 at 00:15, bickster said:

During Punky Reggae Party he shouted F**k the Beatles ... my kinda guy!

AC11BDA7-6DA4-48C8-AA3D-F1FE339DCB32.jpeg

Even though The Beatles recorded the greatest and most influential deep reggae track... Ob La Di Ob La Da. 

The brother in law went to the download festival with his wife over the weekend. They paid £240 each for the 3 days/night. Apparantly Avenged Sevenfold who were Friday headliners were shit. Guns N Roses who were Saturday headliners were shit. They never bothered waiting around  to see Ozzy Osbourne who was the Sunday headliner. It's always mainly the case when they go, which is every year. The main headliners they never rate. They pay all that money to see a load of small bands who they enjoy watching. They spend an absolute fortune for the pleasure of that. I think I'm pretty much done with festivals. I'd rather just go and see a band on their own with a support band. 

I only just discovered Twickets, for buying tickets at close to face value. Cracking site for genuine fans reselling tickets they no longer need without trying to gouge other fans

I picked up a ticket to see Stone Sour next week, can't wait. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I only just discovered Twickets, for buying tickets at close to face value. Cracking site for genuine fans reselling tickets they no longer need without trying to gouge other fans

I picked up a ticket to see Stone Sour next week, can't wait. 

yep great site ..only charge the buyer a %  , which they add to the selling price and then the seller pays via a deduction from the money credited to your account

I've sold a couple of tickets on there when dopey mates have committed to a gig and then realised they are away ... pitfall of bands announcing dates so bloody far in advance   ..

but anything that says **** you to getmein and the like can only be a good thing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Blasphemy against your adopted city. Tut tut...

Oh if you want dissing Liverpool, he kept saying he loved Manchester

Didn't get the reaction he wanted though, because everyone loved him

Â