The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sigh. I think of Gomez as "One of these new bands I ought to check out sometime - I know they've done one album, maybe they've got a second one out". Now you tell me they've been going for twenty years. 

Hark at you and your hearing of a band only 20 years after they came about .... keep this up and we'll have to get a new VT Google alternative  :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Still trying to work that one out. 

You're going to see Van (The Man) Morrison, in Portugal, in June? 

You're going to see a band called 'Portugal, The Man', in June? 

You're going to see a band called 'Portugal' at a venue/festival called 'The Man in June'? 

:P

Check them out!

Edited by StefanAVFC

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

:P

Check them out!

I thought it was a woman singing at first ... the moustache gave it away in the end  , just like it did that night I had in Bangkok

43 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Hark at you and your hearing of a band only 20 years after they came about .... keep this up and we'll have to get a new VT Google alternative  :) 

Many a true word... 

Saw Gomez when Bring It On came out, they were very enjoyable, its nice to be reminded of an album that I enjoyed a lot at the time, think I might give it a blast on the drive home to see if stands up. 

Gomez, the best band to come from Southport ever

They are top of a very small list of bands to come from Southport

Every album sounded pretty much like the first but less good.

The first album undoubtedly the best, even then it's not even in the would buy category

How they've survived 20 years is a mystery

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

Gomez, the best band to come from Southport ever

They are top of a very small list of bands to come from Southport

Every album sounded pretty much like the first but less good.

The first album undoubtedly the best, even then it's not even in the would buy category

How they've survived 20 years is a mystery

That's a pretty good summary. I bought the first 2 albums at the time, liked each one for a while and then sort of gave up with them and forgot all about the band as a sort of 5 or 6 out of 10 sort of act who had, as you say gone downhill (or creatively lost their way, as the music papers used to put it).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's a pretty good summary. I bought the first 2 albums at the time, liked each one for a while and then sort of gave up with them and forgot all about the band as a sort of 5 or 6 out of 10 sort of act who had, as you say gone downhill (or creatively lost their way, as the music papers used to put it).

I think I've got the first two somewhere on CD but today I'd never consider re-buying them. It's highly likely I got sent them for free in the first place

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I've stumbled across himself with the gravelly voice doing solo sets a couple of times in the last few years. He's quite good but doesn't set the world alight.

• Like 2

Oh aye, I went to see Belle & Sebastian at The Sage last night. Was worried that it was a tad underwhelming for the first few songs, but then it really picked up. Yer singer man had some good banter, and the crowd started to really get into it, leading to an inevitable stage invasion. Far too much bad, white person dancing on show though. 

3 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Oh aye, I went to see Belle & Sebastian at The Sage last night. Was worried that it was a tad underwhelming for the first few songs, but then it really picked up. Yer singer man had some good banter, and the crowd started to really get into it, leading to an inevitable stage invasion. Far too much bad, white person dancing on show though. 

A Belle and Sebastian stage invasion must be like two people fighting a duel with three week old lettuce leaves

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, bickster said:

A Belle and Sebastian stage invasion must be like two people fighting a duel with three week old lettuce leaves

I thought you'd comment. I do actually like B&S, but I think I'm gonna have to have a weekend of listening to Doom Metal, to counteract the twee.

• Haha 2

On 3/23/2018 at 17:43, turnbull said:

Steven Wilson

Saw him at the Royal Albert Hall on Tuesday.

Went to accompany a friend that didn't want to go alone.

I'm not in his cult, but it was a tidy gig with good sound and no short measures.

He cuts shapes like Siouxsie Sioux :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Never seen him live, but that's put me off him, right there. 

:D

He's playing instruments mostly - Don't be put off.

Good varied dynamic. Quiet moodiness, modern metal and a proper Hawkwind chug or two in there

The band is slick. The lanky bass player alternates with a Chapman stick. He could have probably done a decent gig on his own.

Musically they measure up, the PA is refined and the multi media contribution enhanced the gig without taking over. There's an attractive troupe of dancing girls for one number

There are a good few bands, old and new, that could learn a thing or two from these shows. That's despite SW not actually being the best front man in the World ever.

Not a gig as such but the electric cinema is showing a live Nick Cave performance from last year.

It's being shown internationally for just two days, got my tickets last week, April 15th, I'm looking forward to it, **** love Nick Cave

• Like 3

The dancing girls were for one night only. Steven does like to throw the odd curve ball in to keep his audience guessing

The Chapman Stick playing bassist is Nick Beggs,ex kajagoogoo,  a fantastic player and a real character.

Wilson has a happy knack of picking top notch musicians

• Like 1

Â