The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

52 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Saw Ghost in Nottingham last night. Brilliant show - ridiculous, over the top, fun, hilarious. A band with no aim other than just to be entertaining. Loved it.

Was there too. Absolutely incredible. It has been a pleasure watching them grow and they completely deserve arena shows.

I was there too, not stood too far away from @Lichfield Dean judging by that photo. Cracking gig.

Other metal fans here need to start posting before the show, because I'm a sad bastard and often go alone, always up for a pint beforehand!

I think the only one I've got lined up for the rest of the year is Bury Tomorrow at Rock City next month, then it's Slipknot in January - haven't listened to them in years but that's the sound of my teenage years, so I had to go for it. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Saw them at Reading 4 years ago, Metallica was headlining which was of no interest, catfish had finished*, leathel bizzle I think had either finished or was full of dick heads, walking around the site one of my mates spotted a guitarists and said "what the **** is that..." so we went along

They were pretty good! Not my kind of music but somewhere between the theatrics of the lead and the ability of the rest of the band they were very watchable

* seen catfish 4 times now, they started good got bigger and imo aren't anything special, doesn't help that last time I saw them was in the awful sounding ricoh, got tickets to see them again in January thanks to a mate that loves them but I can't be bothered

I'm other gig news - saw Jerry cinnamon has a show at hampden Park... Not a clue how, going down the same LAD thing that is keeping the courteeners yearly huge Manchester gig going, shit thing is the DMAs are supporting and are a much much better band

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Why would you wish that on any band? 

Yeah, I agree with this point, arena shows are usually pretty horrible,  but because the motorpoint arena is quite small as arenas go it actually worked ok for a band with big production values like this. The larger venues like the NIA are always absolutely awful though.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I was there too, not stood too far away from @Lichfield Dean judging by that photo. Cracking gig.

Other metal fans here need to start posting before the show, because I'm a sad bastard and often go alone, always up for a pint beforehand!

I think the only one I've got lined up for the rest of the year is Bury Tomorrow at Rock City next month, then it's Slipknot in January - haven't listened to them in years but that's the sound of my teenage years, so I had to go for it. 

I was actually in the seats, two rows from the front. Excellent views, although in hindsight I do kind of wish we'd been standing, but there you go.

If I'd have though to I'd have mentioned it beforehand - it would have been nice to say said hello and grab a beer.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Why would you wish that on any band? 

True, but as @Lichfield Dean has said, their production set has gone up a few notches which won’t be able to fit on smaller stages anymore. It’s more nice that watching a band that’s actually deserves getting bigger and better, that’s more what I meant. I would think that they would pretty well at the symphony hall though.

25 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Paul McCartney announced as Glasto headliner.

A great reason to give it a miss eh @bickster?

There are a million reasons to miss Glasto, this is just the one at the top of the list for next year

The percentage of genuine music fans at Glasto these days approaches 0%

People go "for the experience"

I hate festivals anyway but Glasto must be the worst

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

There are a million reasons to miss Glasto, this is just the one at the top of the list for next year

This is my experience too. I've never been myself, but everyone I know who goes every year only attends for a way overpriced piss up/drug binge in a field.

5 hours ago, bickster said:

It's amazing. Unless you're weirdly OCD about cleanliness? Go!

You think you've got a plan? Then on the way you see something interesting and a side adventure becomes the main adventure.

It's deep, none of the others come close.

15 hours ago, bickster said:

It's my idea of hell, but this is a bit silly. Are all of these people spending 5 days at a music festival not liking music properly enough for you? "Yeah they've spent a lot of money, and sacrrificed their time, and yes they're there supporting the acts, but...Why can't they just like music like I do" :lol:

Image result for old man cloud

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's my idea of hell, but this is a bit silly. Are all of these people spending 5 days at a music festival not liking music properly enough for you? "Yeah they've spent a lot of money, and sacrrificed their time, and yes they're there supporting the acts, but...Why can't they just like music like I do" :lol:

Its got absolutely nothing to do with the music on offer.

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My money would be on Taylor Swift being another headliner. 

She's playing Mad Cool in Madrid this year  and a few other festivals around Europe so i think you could be right

I've been looking at festivals in Europe for next year as we went to Mad Cool in 2018 , and had a real blast  , we had

Pearl Jam , Depech Mode , Queens of the stone age ,  Kasabian . MGMT , Snow Patrol , Jet, nine inch nails , Eels plus many more

fast forward to 2020 and they have

Taylor Swift , Billie Elish ,Alt-J ,Jamie Callum , Nothing but thieves  and many others I've not heard of

talk about a waste of a festival

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

@tonyh29 I'm guessing you have a teenage daughter as three of those at the end I've never heard of and I couldn't name you a Billie Eilish song!

That 2018 line up looks pretty damn good.

That was kinda my point :)

I have heard of Swift as that "shake it off " song was played everywhere I went a few years back  , but no clue on the others

My teenage daughter went to see Kiss in concert the other week and saw Metallica back in the summer , Mrs H29's influence on her I guess  she's always playing that kind of music in the car  :)

• Like 1

Pretenders and Suede  tonight at Shepherds Bush.

not a particular pretenders fan but was surprised at how punk sounding some of their material was , some decent riffs going on with the guitars , they played the hits as well which were popular but nowhere near as good as the more obscure stuff ... decent enough set but made to look like a kids school concert in comparison to Suede when they came on ... someone switched the volume dial up to 11 and let Anderson loose , such a powerful voice , such a stage prescience and a huge willingness  to interact with the audience ... still one of the best live bands out there and the small intimate venue just enhanced that 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

Â