The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

My next one is Killswitch Engage next week at the o2 academy. I've seen them a couple of times, once opening for Iron Maiden and the second time opening for Parkway Drive earlier this year, it's the first time I've seen them as the headliner though, looking forward to seeing what kind of show they can put on when it's their gig.

Speaking of which, I've just booked tickets to see Parkway Drive at Wembley in April. That's going to be the biggest pit I've ever been in I think!

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 12:05, av1 said:

Saw Alice Cooper last night, what a show. I'll be happy if I can take myself to the toilet at 71. 

Seen him 3 times. Twice as himself and once with Hollywood Vampires. He's always good value. I suppose being booze and drug free for 40 years always helps!

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Seen him 3 times. Twice as himself and once with Hollywood Vampires. He's always good value. I suppose being booze and drug free for 40 years always helps!

Indeed. The show was absolutely brilliant. The support acts (MC5 and the Stranglers) were poor, but AC more than made up for it. 

I've been to loads of rock concerts and that was right up there with the best. As it happens, also making my top 5 would be Whitesnake, and David Coverdale must have been in his mid sixties when I saw them. These young uns still have a lot to learn from the old school rock acts about putting on a show.  

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Indeed. The show was absolutely brilliant. The support acts (MC5 and the Stranglers) were poor, but AC more than made up for it. 

I've been to loads of rock concerts and that was right up there with the best. As it happens, also making my top 5 would be Whitesnake, and David Coverdale must have been in his mid sixties when I saw them. These young uns still have a lot to learn from the old school rock acts about putting on a show.  

My stepdaughter is a huge Whitesnake fan. She's only 32 but loves old school rock.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

The support acts (MC5 and the Stranglers) were poor, but AC more than made up for it. 

MC5 without Tynan and Sonic Smith is just silly (both deceased). The Stranglers without Hugh Cornwell have been silly for years and not only that is a very odd match for Alice Cooper. Both of those bands aren't even good cabaret

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

MC5 without Tynan and Sonic Smith is just silly (both deceased). The Stranglers without Hugh Cornwell have been silly for years and not only that is a very odd match for Alice Cooper. Both of those bands aren't even good cabaret

It was a strange support lineup, I must admit to not knowing an awful lot about MC5, but when I mentioned the gig to a far more knowledgeable friend, he too was a bit baffled by the lineup.

I think I managed 1/2 a MC5 number and 2 Stranglers numbers before heading out to the bar. As I said though, AC more than made up for it. As well as the phenomenal stage show, he got through about 20 songs. 

26 minutes ago, av1 said:

It was a strange support lineup, I must admit to not knowing an awful lot about MC5, but when I mentioned the gig to a far more knowledgeable friend, he too was a bit baffled by the lineup.

I think I managed 1/2 a MC5 number and 2 Stranglers numbers before heading out to the bar. As I said though, AC more than made up for it. As well as the phenomenal stage show, he got through about 20 songs. 

MC5 are a legendary band from Detroit, active late 60's / early 70's, revolutionary times and a band with revolutionary ideals. Their recorded output is a bit shit to be honest and doesn't really portray how incendiary they were live.

The KLF kinda immortalised them by stealing the line Kick Out the Jams Motherf***er!

Yeah I think back in the day the decent line up of MC5 would have been a gig to experience.

I think there are a few versions of this German show on the youtubes and they have a lot of decent stuff...

I like MC5 and I like Primal Scream. They collaborated on a project and its absolutely freekin awful.

Strange how it works this music lark.

• Like 2

Beat Club on YouTube do have some excellent stuff, its one of the few places there’s a decent quality in sync piece of Badfinger.

Eric Burden & War do a set on there that is particularly good.

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 12:05, av1 said:

Saw Alice Cooper last night, what a show. I'll be happy if I can take myself to the toilet at 71. 

Mrs H and my daughter (12) saw him at the 02 in Greenwich , sky lounge even did a free Alice Cooper face paint for them both , if you’re a sky TV customer it’s worth checking the free lounge out if you ever end up at that venue 

So after years of my mate and I doing the “I’m off to see a tribute act tonight “... ..”they are called The Pretenders“  line as our kinda running gag that is only amusing to the 2 of us  , turns out I really am going to see The Pretenders in Nov as they are supporting Suede at a gig I’ve got tickets for in November 

bonus point for those of you that knew they borrowed Big Country’s bassist for “back on the chain gang “

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

bonus point for those of you that knew they borrowed Big Country’s bassist for “back on the chain gang “

Two bonus points for knowing that they tried to poach him and he turned them down. It’s no wonder he became a teacher. Not exactly the sharpest career move

Went to see Killswitch Engage last night at the O2 Academy, damn good show.

In the queue, there were a couple of middle aged blokes in shirts and jackets, who looked a little out of place among the strictly black tees and piercings, but cool. After queueing for about 10 minutes, and giving several bewildered looks at everyone else who was queuing, they realised that they weren't in line for the O2 institute, and all of the metalheads around them weren't Gary Numan enthusiasts. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Â