The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Just now, chrisp65 said:

.....something is happening????

Anniversary of Phantom Power being released? 

(New material would be awesome though!)

In other news (with a Welsh link!) Have got tickets for Boy Azooga in Exeter next month - only £5.50!!!! Bargain :)

• Like 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

Anniversary of Phantom Power being released? 

(New material would be awesome though!)

In other news (with a Welsh link!) Have got tickets for Boy Azooga in Exeter next month - only £5.50!!!! Bargain :)

No, I can't see a Phantom Power anniversary panning out, that was just over 15 years ago.

New stuff would be great, but I think that's unlikely with the perpetual Gruff world tour and Gulp having only just released an album. 

Album anniversaries, Mwng has had a recent re release, so has Fuzzy Logic and Radiator. Guerilla will be 20 years old in 2019???

---

£5.50 is my kind of gig! plus £5.50 is the sort of gig where you get to chat to the band later. 

Been listening to some stuff today and slowly realised how much stuff I enjoy that includes a guy called Matthew Evans. Most recently helping out with some backing guitar for Boy Azooga. He's also been 'The Keys' (Newington of Boy Azooga was drummer on that project). Plus he was front of Murry The Hump. I've also just spotted him, uncredited, in a video by Colorama shot in a pub just up the road. 

• Like 1

Bestival follows All Tomorrow's Parties.

The Bestival and Camp Bestival music festivals have been snapped up by a multi-millionaire Dorset entrepreneur just days after a collapse into administration.

Richmond Group, controlled by the loan broker James Benamor, is buying the festival business after offering £1.1m for Bestival’s assets and brand. Richmond had lent Bestival Group £1.6m in February last year.

Benamor founded Amigo Loans, a Bournemouth-based company that offers quick guarantor-backed loans, which was floated on the stock exchange in July. The business is valued at more than £1bn and Benamor’s Richmond Group has a stake of 61%.

Julie Palmer, of the advisory firm Begbies Traynor, who was appointed administrator on 20 September, said she had received more than one offer for the business but Richmond’s was the best bid.

Grauniad

On 27/09/2018 at 00:37, chrisp65 said:

No, I can't see a Phantom Power anniversary panning out, that was just over 15 years ago.

New stuff would be great, but I think that's unlikely with the perpetual Gruff world tour and Gulp having only just released an album. 

Album anniversaries, Mwng has had a recent re release, so has Fuzzy Logic and Radiator. Guerilla will be 20 years old in 2019???

---

£5.50 is my kind of gig! plus £5.50 is the sort of gig where you get to chat to the band later. 

Been listening to some stuff today and slowly realised how much stuff I enjoy that includes a guy called Matthew Evans. Most recently helping out with some backing guitar for Boy Azooga. He's also been 'The Keys' (Newington of Boy Azooga was drummer on that project). Plus he was front of Murry The Hump. I've also just spotted him, uncredited, in a video by Colorama shot in a pub just up the road. 

Murry the hump were so good, their demos were exceptional and the resultant album was spectacular. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Jeff Lynne's ELO last night, for the second time in 2 yrs but this time at the NIA rather than NEC.

Top night, great gig......he has such a big back catalogue that he was bound to leave out the odd favourite or two. The backing band were pretty much the same as 2 yrs ago, including three lovely young ladies on cello & violin.

Due to the age of the average punter there last night, the queues to relieve slack bladders were very long but the atmosphere was sound and no probs in the crowd.

Usual pee taking bar/food prices though ?

34 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Went to see Jeff Lynne's ELO last night, for the second time in 2 yrs but this time at the NIA rather than NEC.

Top night, great gig......he has such a big back catalogue that he was bound to leave out the odd favourite or two. The backing band were pretty much the same as 2 yrs ago, including three lovely young ladies on cello & violin.

Due to the age of the average punter there last night, the queues to relieve slack bladders were very long but the atmosphere was sound and no probs in the crowd.

Usual pee taking bar/food prices though ?

I got tickets for London next week then promptly forgot and booked a family holiday for that week

so one of my mates gets to take my place instead :(

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I got tickets for London next week then promptly forgot and booked a family holiday for that week

wow!

you must seriously like Jeff Lynne, was it somewhere you'd been before then?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Bad luck - it really was a great show. I'd tell your mate not to bother with the support act, Billy Lockett.......he's like a poor man's Ed Sheeran on a keyboard. I dont think the kid could believe his luck to be on that tour.

High on Fire tonight in Brum (no it's not a tribute to Richard Pryor).

The last time I saw them was the loudest gig I've ever been to so I'm looking forward to having buzzing ears for the weekend :D

Always great to see the legend that is Matt Pike. Any man that has a Facebook page dedicated to his gut is ok by me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

High on Fire tonight in Brum (no it's not a tribute to Richard Pryor).

The last time I saw them was the loudest gig I've ever been to so I'm looking forward to having buzzing ears for the weekend :D

Always great to see the legend that is Matt Pike. Any man that has a Facebook page dedicated to his gut is ok by me.

And you’ve got enslaved as well who are fantastic! Great double bill!

my mates seem to have got in to this thing where they message support bands on social media or sound technicians or random people in the background with stuff like "me and my girlfriend travelled to glasgow and saw you guys last week you were awesome, shame you've sold out tonight in our home town we'd love to see you again..." and they get a reply offering them free guest list tickets

i got offered a free ticket for glasvegas in bristol tonight but couldnt make it, got a free ticket for ashcroft in nottingham in a couple of weeks

not 100% how they do it but they're getting a lot to be fair to them, like once a fortnight the one lad is going to a free gig

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Boy Azooga tomorrow night - cannot wait....

Wasn't that sure about them (still aren't if truth be known) but really liked their cover of The Table's Do the Standing Still that came out this week

• Like 1

Â