Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?

paddy

Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends
    • Undecided

As an outsider, I find it hard to believe that Villa fans even have this conversation about O'Neill.

He's done an absolutely fantastic job in taking you to where you are and turning you into a team that attack with style and pace. I think if you hadn't lost Laursen you'd have been strong enough at the back to hold onto 4th place.

As an outsider, I find it hard to believe that Villa fans even have this conversation about O'Neill.

He's done an absolutely fantastic job in taking you to where you are and turning you into a team that attack with style and pace. I think if you hadn't lost Laursen you'd have been strong enough at the back to hold onto 4th place.

I know. Opposition fans will be' lolling' big style at discussions like this.

Saying that, I've seen similar polls and discussions started about Moyes on Everton message boards, which I'm sure opposition fans also find confusing.

The thing for me is that it's dangerous to start the 'He's taken us as far as he can' argument, as that was what Charlton fans were saying before they got rid of Curbishley and they're effectively a League 1 club now.

looking at the landslide victory for YES was a bit of a surprise .

Really? Why? Look at where we were, and where we are now. The league says we're now the best side in England outside the Sky 4. What more could we realistically have hoped for in the three years O'Neill has been in charge?

Yes, but it's still surprising that such a tiny minority want him gone - 4% at the moment.

Why is it surprising? Partly the tone of some threads, which seem to suggest that some people are so unhappy with him that you would expect them to vote "no" here. And that feels like more than the tiny handful who have voted accordingly.

And partly because any opinion will carry some degree of support, however odd it looks to others. Lets face it, you could probably get more than 4% of people agreeing that they've been kidnapped by aliens, or that Jade Goody was the reincarnation of Elvis.

Saying that, I've seen similar polls and discussions started about Moyes on Everton message boards, which I'm sure opposition fans also find confusing.

The thing for me is that it's dangerous to start the 'He's taken us as far as he can' argument, as that was what Charlton fans were saying before they got rid of Curbishley and they're effectively a League 1 club now.

I'm genuinely embarrassed that you have read such a ridiculous debate. MON made us who we are, I remember when he first come, I couldn't believe our luck, I'm so **** glad he didn't manage England. God knows where we would be, absolutely no way would we have got a better manager in the position we were in.

God knows where we would be, absolutely no way would we have got a better manager in the position we were in.

So you don't think a multi-billionaire like Randy would have employed a decent manager? There wasn't another manager in the whole of world football who could have got us to 6th place in the league?

Yes, both the Moyes and Curbs examples are good ones.

Listening to some of the people who phone 606 with these sort of views, there seems to be some sort of arrogance that sets in for some people when their club climbs a little higher than they're used to; they want a trophy manager (not in the good sense), like some guys who make a few quid want a trophy wife. Every club has them, I suppose.

Indeed. Many football fans seems obsessed with dressing up the unknown and the speculative in the prettiest clothes their imagination can find and present it as the truth. Sometimes you just have to stop and start appreciating what you have instead of constantly judge based on what could have been. It is a mind trap, nothing else. Naturally I feel a bit down about our dip in form, but for two seasons running we are right up there battling with you lot, occasionally putting pressure on the gang of four. That is immense progress in my book. Especially if we can keep doing it, because I firmly believe that one of these days MON will do for us what Moyes did for you. Give us a taste of what 4th (or even better) is like. If that never happens I certainly won't point any fingers at the manager and call him this or that, because I truly have no idea what things could have been like if a different manager had been at the helm. Sometimes you just have to accept reality for what it is and enjoy to the best of your ability. We are at the right end of the table, and I am certainly enjoying being a Villa fan.

God knows where we would be, absolutely no way would we have got a better manager in the position we were in.

So you don't think a multi-billionaire like Randy would have employed a decent manager? There wasn't another manager in the whole of world football who could have got us to 6th place in the league?

But MON is the one who has taken us to where we are at the moment, and so he is the man that deserves the credit for that. Maybe we could have got some other manager and maybe Mr AN Other would have got us to the same place, fact is it's O'Neill that's actually done it. Why are some people so loathe to give him credit where it's due?

But MON is the one who has taken us to where we are at the moment, and so he is the man that deserves the credit for that. Maybe we could have got some other manager and maybe Mr AN Other would have got us to the same place, fact is it's O'Neill that's actually done it. Why are some people so loathe to give him credit where it's due?

I'm with you on this. I don't see the relevance in the argument that "someone else could have done it as well". So what? What the hell has that got to do with MON taking us where we are?

I'm not. I think he's done very well for the most part. He's made mistakes, but I hope he learns from them and takes us onto the next level.

I just think the people who think he's the best manager we could possibly ever hope for are utterly ridiculous.

give a name

i seriously dont think he could, same with villa and transfers, fans seem to think we can get anyone when in truth we cant, are there better managers than MON, of course, there are better ones that are clubless, but they wouldnt come to us

Yes, both the Moyes and Curbs examples are good ones.

Listening to some of the people who phone 606 with these sort of views, there seems to be some sort of arrogance that sets in for some people when their club climbs a little higher than they're used to; they want a trophy manager (not in the good sense), like some guys who make a few quid want a trophy wife. Every club has them, I suppose.

On the other hand, Liverpool ditched Houliier and Benitez won them the Champions League in his first season, ditto Chelsea with Mourinho.

I'm not. I think he's done very well for the most part. He's made mistakes, but I hope he learns from them and takes us onto the next level.

I just think the people who think he's the best manager we could possibly ever hope for are utterly ridiculous.

Ever hope for? little dramatic isn't it, and not what anyone has said. At the time what would you have hoped for? He's done a brilliant job and saying words to the effect of so what, others could have do just as good shows alot about your views.

Obviously he would have employed a good manager, if he didn't want to undermine his own investment.

Clearly other managers could have got us to 6th place. Not many, but some.

What is different here, and what I like, is that for the first time in my lifetime, we have a combination of a chairman and a manager who appear to see things the same way, have a similar long-term perspective, respect each other's role and authority and not encroach on their sphere, and both show more than just competence in their job.

Arsenal had that, though it's been shaky with ther recent boardroom battles. Who else in the upper reaches of the prem has that?

For me, that's a long-term benefit beyond price, which can lay the foundations for a long view, again for the first time in my life. Cherish it.

I don't see anyone saying he's the best we could "ever" hope for.

He was certainly the best we could hope for at the point he joined us, and is probably still the best we could hope for in the position we're in just now.

This season has shown us the punishing consistency that's required for top 4. MON's an intelligent man and he will have learned a lot from this season about the squad we currently have, and what he needs to do to move us forward.

He more than deserves another few years to have a crack at it. I think no-one realistically even expected a 5th place finish this year, never mind top 4.

Â