Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?

paddy

Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends
    • Undecided

I believe sometimes his substitutions and tactics in certain games can be wrong but no manager gets it spot on every single time. As long as the overall situation is good i see no point in moaning about every little mistake he's ever made.

For me 5th is the easily the best we could have hoped for after 3 seasons in charge, that's where we are in the league. If you think it's easy to achieve that as well as back to back top 6 finishes with average players then you must believe MON is a genius with every other aspect of football management.

See this is where you fail to grasp what people are talking about BJ, you just jump in wth both feet defending everything to the hilt.

This is a Villa forum where people talk about the good and the bad, currently we are bad and people are talking about why we might be bad, anything wrong with that?

Its not moaning as you like to word it its talking about the bad things. Perhaps you dont like to do this or even notice it but others would like to, perhaps if you were abit more understanding you wouldn't get so defensive.

Any chance of answering my question as well, is MON good or average at signing players?

There are left backs and right backs outside of this country with no premier league experience and they do fine when they arrive here for example...

And there are plenty who don't do fine.

Indeed.

But as the premier league is not mostly made up of foreign players and is considered the best and most exciting league in the world, i think most of them do indeed do just fine!

We could just play safe though and never risk it hey?

For me 5th is the easily the best we could have hoped for after 3 seasons in charge, that's where we are in the league. If you think it's easy to achieve that as well as back to back top 6 finishes with average players then you must believe MON is a genius with every other aspect of football management.

BG while I'm not as critical of O'Neill as Jez and I agree with you that by and large he has done a very good job so far that doesn't mean I agree with everything he does or every decision he makes.

It seems to me that too many people on here see any points made in critism of O'Neill as being anti O'Neill and I don't think that is the case. There are things O'Neill has done lately that I really don't agree with but I still wouldn't swap him for anyone else.

It seems to me that too many people on here see any points made in critism of O'Neill as being anti O'Neill and I don't think that is the case. There are things O'Neill has done lately that I really don't agree with but I still wouldn't swap him for anyone else.

Exactamundo!

What was the reason behind having that long unbeaten run before that?

In truth we can take any isolated period of the season and make it fit an argument, but the best way to judge is wait until after 38 games and then make a case. For instance, in the admittedly very unlikely event we do now make 4th does that mean he's brilliant even though we had that slump?

In answer to your question I think he's quite good at signing players. We don't sign them to collect like a sticker albumn, we do so in order to get results on the pitch, which over all have been quite good since he's been our manager - hence my 'quite good' verdict on his transfer dealings!

The reason we had a good run if lack of injuries and confidence built up.

The slump comes as players lose form and get tired, they cannot be replaced because the manager has not signed enough in the first place.

He signing up for the intertoto last season he had all summer knowing how long our season would be, he even knew in Jan that the signs were there of players getting alittle knackered more injuries creeping in yet chose not to do anything.

Your right a season is judged at the end of the campaign, not at the start or the middle. But with our current inability to win still happening this might last till the end of the season? People seem to think it will just end, but why will it will the players suddenly not be knackered even after holidays and rest periods we still look half arsed!

A run like we had is down to more than confidence and a fully fit squad (incidentally we were missing Carew, Laursen and Bouma during it) - it's also because of the ability of the players, most of which were MON signings.

Yes, we are lacking strength in depth, but to me that's been highlighted more as we have probably hit heights nobody was expecting this season and didn't have the squad to cope with it. We weren't expecting/expected to be challenging the top 4 so it it any wonder we've been found wanting?

And I don't think he 'chose' not to do anything! He spent heavily and brought in quite a few players in the summer - we just have a big re-building job on and he's only part way through it. And elts not forget he also has to balance quality with quantity.

Just to show I'm not above being critical of him, I do take your point about fatigue and he should have freshened us up more in January. I also think he could have made more use to the likes of Shorey, Harewood, Sidwell etc. earlioer in the season to prevent this fatigue becoming an issue in the first place!!

Exactamundo!

yep

MON has continued to consistently piss me off ever since he sent that shit team to Moscow.......

but i wouldnt swap him for anybody at the moment

however he has some major flaws but im hoping the longer he spends at this club the more likely they are to be 'ironed out'

BG while I'm not as critical of O'Neill as Jez and I agree with you that by and large he has done a very good job so far that doesn't mean I agree with everything he does or every decision he makes.

You're right, i've read plenty of posts of people which criticise the manager and i feel no need to respond and i can see where they are coming from.

Then there are the small group on here who have pretty much been on the managers back for as long as i've been reading VT, so forgive me when i think some people actually do show an anti O'neil attitude.

Any chance of answering my question as well, is MON good or average at signing players?

I did answer it, i think he's good at signing players.

If you think he is very very average at signing players do you believe then he is exceptional at all other aspects of football management? Or do you believe the premier league is so weak any team with average players can finish in the top 6 two seasons in a row?

Definitely, my current critisms of O'Neil far outway the praises. However that rule does not apply to his enture tenure and there is not anyone available who I would rather have, so yes he still is the right man for the job.

One eyed views are always annoying, if there are some genuine reasons for concern they should be openly discussed along with the good times. There are some genuine reasons for concern right now I feel.

There are some genuine reasons for concern right now I feel.

We must be a laughing stock to other fans.

What team goes from 16th to 5th in 3 seaons and the fans have genuine reasons for concern right now.

Every team outside the top 4 would trade places with us right now and yet some of us can't be happy with this. Since when is 5th place in one of the hardest leagues in the world not good enough for us?

If another club posted this thread some of you would be the first to link to it and be laughing at it. This is embarrassing.

If another team had conceded 18 goals in their last 6 games, and still thought they'd catch Arsenal, I'd link to that and laugh at it.

Are we 5th then?

Yes currently we are. We'll see where we will end up in May, but again, getting us up to these levels consistently is an achievement MON should be proud of. Given time I'm certain he is able to give us even more success. As long as we accept some dips in form and even league positions. The important thing is that the players believe in the manager and wants to play for him he should stay. I completely lost faith in DOL when he lost the players confidence. I will feel the same if the players loose faith in MON.

Â