Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?

paddy

Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends
    • Undecided

Another daft thread really.

Despite being very very average at signing players, who else better are we going to get?

It's like an article of faith on here for some that MON is piss poor in the transfer market. Seeings as the team is made up of his signings with the exception of Barry and Gabby it makes you wonder just how he ever managed to achieve a top 6 finish.

Despite being very very average at signing players, who else better are we going to get?

It's like an article of faith on here for some that MON is piss poor in the transfer market. Seeings as the team is made up of his signings with the exception of Barry and Gabby it makes you wonder just how he ever managed to achieve a top 6 finish.

Because he is good at getting out the best of what he has got.

Once what he has got start to get tired he has to turn to.......

Unless our current dip is not down to having sufficient enough players or that the players we do have are good enough?

Question being if MON is good at transfers and good at getting the best out of players.

Is he bad or average at anything?

I'm actually surprised it's so overwhelmingly in his favour given some of the sniping we see on this board. I'm a strong 'yes' so I'm glad to see it, but still a little surprised!!
A lot of people have said something similar. I can only speak for myself but I don't worship the ground MON treads or feel there's any faith I have to keep. I think he has made the odd mistake (I went ballistic when I first heard he was sending a weakened squad to Moscow). I wasn't too happy about the lack of proper right backs.

Do I want MON as manager? Yes. Do I want him to radically change the way he is or the way he does things? No. So what do i say? No? Undecided? It depends?

I said yes. And I said yes because he's the best manager we've had in years and because there's no one else out there I'd rather have as manager.

If some insist in seeing totally in black and white that's their prerogative.

That's pretty much what I expected a lot of peoples opinion to be and that's why I expected a lot more ticks in the 'it depends' or 'undecided' column!

It's a bit of a perspective thing, but those that do have a pop seem to think those that then defend MON do not think he does any worng, which isn't the case. And of course those that do speak out against him aren't 100% anti-MON either!

I just guess some people seem to always post negatively or positively all the time, which isn't a fair reflection of their true balanced view!!

Now spending 30 million quid of Shorey, Davies, Young, Cueller and Knight - and still ending up playing NRC as centre back and Gardner at RB whilst Young is at LB - thats a mistake !. Is he allowed it - yes. If we are still the same next season - then you have gotta ask the question what the hell is he doing.

We say it's a mistake, but lets not forget that this was the situation before we hit our bad run aswell and it wasn't hurting us! He's built the squad that's got us where we are and I'll defend his right to then use that squad as he sees fit!!

And when did we have NRC at centre back?

Yes that's why we are going to get back to back finishes because the manager is very very average at signing players :lol:

What you really mean is the manager is very very average at bringing in players you want. Because no one could really believe that a manager going from 16th to 5th in 3 seasons and achieving back to back top 6 finishes could really be very very average at signing players.

Yes that's why we are going to get back to back finishes because the manager is very very average at signing players :lol:

What you really mean is the manager is very very average at bringing in players you want. Because no one could really believe that a manager going from 16th to 5th in 3 seasons and achieving back to back top 6 finishes could really be very very average at signing players.

So what is the reason behind not winning in the league since February?

If the league had started on Feb 1st we would have been 2nd bottom now, is that the sign of a manger good at signing players or average?

If its being tired how do you help tired players?

As i said above if MON is not average at signing players, is he good at everything, what are his weakness?

Do you think MON is excellent at signing players or average?

If the league had started on Feb 1st we would have been 2nd bottom now, is that the sign of a manger good at signing players or average?

As i said above if MON is not average at signing players, is he good at everything, what are his weakness?

What was the reason behind having that long unbeaten run before that?

In truth we can take any isolated period of the season and make it fit an argument, but the best way to judge is wait until after 38 games and then make a case. For instance, in the admittedly very unlikely event we do now make 4th does that mean he's brilliant even though we had that slump?

In answer to your question I think he's quite good at signing players. We don't sign them to collect like a sticker albumn, we do so in order to get results on the pitch, which over all have been quite good since he's been our manager - hence my 'quite good' verdict on his transfer dealings!

Personally I have far more issue with O'Neill's tactics and use of subs than I do with his signings.

Are they not directly related though Mark?

He doesn't make signings is too picky, resulting in more reserve teams players on the bench resulting in disappointing tactics?

Personally I have far more issue with O'Neill's tactics and use of subs than I do with his signings.

Are they not directly related though Mark?

He doesn't make signings is too picky, resulting in more reserve teams players on the bench resulting in disappointing tactics?

Fair question mate, fair question. There is perhaps an element of truth in that.

However its not really the lack of squad and need to call on squad players that frustrates me in terms of his tactics and subs.

It more things like his tactic of taking fullbacks off and putting midfielders there when chasing games.

I accept that the two things are linked but hopefully I've illustrated the difference I'm trying too.

I think the best example I can give is I would rather he had continued with Shorey at LB rather than switch Young there.

What was the reason behind having that long unbeaten run before that?

In truth we can take any isolated period of the season and make it fit an argument, but the best way to judge is wait until after 38 games and then make a case. For instance, in the admittedly very unlikely event we do now make 4th does that mean he's brilliant even though we had that slump?

In answer to your question I think he's quite good at signing players. We don't sign them to collect like a sticker albumn, we do so in order to get results on the pitch, which over all have been quite good since he's been our manager - hence my 'quite good' verdict on his transfer dealings!

The reason we had a good run if lack of injuries and confidence built up.

The slump comes as players lose form and get tired, they cannot be replaced because the manager has not signed enough in the first place.

He signing up for the intertoto last season he had all summer knowing how long our season would be, he even knew in Jan that the signs were there of players getting alittle knackered more injuries creeping in yet chose not to do anything.

Your right a season is judged at the end of the campaign, not at the start or the middle. But with our current inability to win still happening this might last till the end of the season? People seem to think it will just end, but why will it will the players suddenly not be knackered even after holidays and rest periods we still look half arsed!

:lol::lol:

What a ridiculous point, i'm sure i could pick a date when the season should start and finsih and show we could have won it. :lol:

We've had a bad spell, it usually happens to most teams during the course of a season. Are you demanding that after 2 seasons we should have had a squad that won't go through a bad spell during the course of the year?

I think results speak for themselves and our position in the league this year and last shows he is good at signing players.

I believe sometimes his substitutions and tactics in certain games can be wrong but no manager gets it spot on every single time. As long as the overall situation is good i see no point in moaning about every little mistake he's ever made.

For me 5th is the easily the best we could have hoped for after 3 seasons in charge, that's where we are in the league. If you think it's easy to achieve that as well as back to back top 6 finishes with average players then you must believe MON is a genius with every other aspect of football management.

Fair question mate, fair question. There is perhaps an element of truth in that.

However its not really the lack of squad and need to call on squad players that frustrates me in terms of his tactics and subs.

It more things like his tactic of taking fullbacks off and putting midfielders there when chasing games.

I accept that the two things are linked but hopefully I've illustrated the difference I'm trying too.

I think the best example I can give is I would rather he had continued with Shorey at LB rather than switch Young there.

I agree with that yes, Shorey started of terrible but he was a constant if not spectacular performer at Reading so he cannot suddenly be always rubbish! His recent run now if not spectacular show this as well, gaining some confidence.

Personally they show MON's pickiness in the transfer window, i understand he is building a team and wants to take his time, but you can build a team and still have all areas covered.

There are left backs and right backs outside of this country with no premier league experience and they do fine when they arrive here for example...

Â