Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?

paddy

Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want MON as manager next season, yes or no?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends
    • Undecided

Truth is it is MON who has got us on the verge of the Champions League, through his signings which make up the majority of our first team, and his general management of the team.

Dear friend, with the money he have spent would you expect any worse than top 6? look what DOL did with almost no Money under Doug

DOL did well with a team he inherited, then the more he made that team his own the worse it got.

I keep reading about the money spent and how we should expect nothing less but spending big money hasn't made spurs and newcastle consistent and it hasn't pushed man city on. Also have a look at the clubs fighting relegation at the moment, do you think if they spent similar to what we have over the last 3 seasons they would be a consistent top 6 side? I certainly don't.

Money is clearly an important factor but unless you've got a manager to use it right and then manage what he buys correctly you won't get very far.

So, when we finish 5th, the team will have improved over last season, and the manager will have reached the pinnacle of what he can achieve at the club in league terms. Thus far his cup record at the Villa has been appalling. Next season he needs to put a cup on the shelf, any cup will do, just to keep the interest alive.

Any cup.... but not the Intertoto I assume? Or did we not win that in the end?

I have read a few threads stating that we are lucky to have MON. Maybe so, but i was always brought up on the old addage, 'the club is bigger than anyone.'

I rather tend to think that although MON is a good manager, he has yet to prove that he is a great manager with any of his clubs! It is he who is lucky to be the manager of our great club and i have yet to hear him saying this. He is also lucky to be given complete control of team affairs and transfers and to have a chairman who indeed backs him 100%.

Just getting a little pissed off with the opinion that we all should bow down and be eternally grateful when in the presence of the great MON, who hasn't won anything yet! I also tend to agree with those who suggest that spending 90 million should have secured at least sixth place! I don't think Randy would have settled for much less?

I'll state again, i voted undecided and will wait until the end of MON's so called '5 year plan' before giving a final opinion on his overal performance?

Brilliant post mate and echo my thoughts entirely, even though I still voted Yes. Not that you should have to explain yourself to anyone.

MON is privilleged to be at our famous old football club and not the other way around- FACT.

I have read a few threads stating that we are lucky to have MON.

We are. He's one of the most respected managers in Britain who's been succesful at his previous clubs and he's done very well at Villa. Even if you don't think the sun shines out of his behind, noone can disagree he's a good manager. Just think of the alternatives. Perhaps not the win the lottery kind of lucky, even if I do feel that way sometimes, but still lucky.

It is he who is lucky to be the manager of our great club and i have yet to hear him saying this.

He is. And he has. Just look at his very first press conference as a Villa manager for evidence of how grateful he is to be at this club.

Just getting a little pissed off with the opinion that we all should bow down and be eternally grateful when in the presence of the great MON, who hasn't won anything yet!

I don't know if anyone has said anything like that. I know my previous contribution to this thread hinted at the futility of the constant debating of MON's faults, and that I personally would go far in defending everything he does because I believe in the fella, but I don't think anyone has suggested we should all worship the man religiously. Perhaps you're just exaggerating to make a point.

And, please clarify for me, when you say he hasn't won anything - do you mean for us or hasn't won anything full stop? Because the man has certainly won trophies. At Leicester! What was it Cloughie said again? Something about making something more than a jumper in Leicester and being a genius, anyway.

I also tend to agree with those who suggest that spending 90 million should have secured at least sixth place!

Other clubs hav spent sums in that region and not been anywhere near as succesful. The Premiership is a competetive arena, it takes time and money to get where you want to be. MON started almost from scratch, inherriting a squad that finished 16th. We're going to have to spend a lot more over the next few years to progress even further.

MON is privilleged to be at our famous old football club and not the other way around- FACT.

Why can't it work both ways? MON and Villa are the perfect match - that's pretty darn lucky for all involved, in my opinion.

It's pretty harsh to critisce him for not winning anything when pretty much the top 4 win nearly every trophy. Not only this, but we've never had the team good enough to win a cup.

With £90 Million we should be top 6?

Tottenham, Sunderland etc..have all spent loads and loads of money in recent years and not finished their. We had a squad literally with 4 players good enough for the top 8. So we've had to literally re-build our whole team, so i'd say what we've done so far is a great acheivement, that's I also tend to think why Mon has brought mainly english players. Because the amount of players we've had to buy, it's easier for say 7 english players to be new to surroundings than 7 foreign players who all speak different languages.

1. I don't see how Mon is lucky to manage our great club? great success at Leicester and Celtic. We finished 16th and we're on the brink of relegation with players like useless de la cruz, I hardly think managers we're looking at us thinking "what a great club"...however I wouldn't say we're lucky to have O'Neill, because when we had him, he hadn't managed at the very top level, so it was basically a perfect match like someone had said, and the match has been superb, with constant progress under him.

I think people saying, he's lucky to manage us is completly wrong. We're a BIG club. BUT we've never been one of those attractive prospects, when we we're 16th in the league, do you think players were looking at Villa, wanting to come? No they weren't. He's took us to being a club that players want to be part off, players want to play under O'Neill and for Aston Villa. We have to remember, O'Neill got us in this position. It's not as if he came when we we're already 6th. He came when the club was in one of it's not so good periods over recent years.

I wonder if some people realise what an achievement and what a progress it is to have for most of the season even challenged the Sky4 for a top place. It's not as we were there for a few rounds like City last year and then slipped down the table. We've been in the top 4 for quite some rounds and some people, not even Villa-fans, really thought that we'd make it this season and that's an achievement. I can only remember two other teams who's done that in this millenium and that's Everton and Tottenham who missed out on the last day blaming some bug or whatever it was.

Of course, if we in the end finish 7th or lower it will take away that effort and progress almost completely, but if we finish 5th we've made some real progress, no doubt. They will be looking behind their backs next season too to see where we are. They never really did that in the beginning of this season. And players from the outside will look at us and think that "maybe they can reach the CL this season" and wanna be a part of it. We can't compete for players with the Sky4 this summer, but players who aren't tempted by them but are still very good might chose to leave for us more willingly than last summer. And that's another part of the progress.

I have read a few threads stating that we are lucky to have MON. Maybe so, but i was always brought up on the old addage, 'the club is bigger than anyone.'

I rather tend to think that although MON is a good manager, he has yet to prove that he is a great manager with any of his clubs! It is he who is lucky to be the manager of our great club and i have yet to hear him saying this. He is also lucky to be given complete control of team affairs and transfers and to have a chairman who indeed backs him 100%.

Just getting a little pissed off with the opinion that we all should bow down and be eternally grateful when in the presence of the great MON, who hasn't won anything yet! I also tend to agree with those who suggest that spending 90 million should have secured at least sixth place! I don't think Randy would have settled for much less?

I'll state again, i voted undecided and will wait until the end of MON's so called '5 year plan' before giving a final opinion on his overal performance?

Brilliant post mate and echo my thoughts entirely, even though I still voted Yes. Not that you should have to explain yourself to anyone.

No-one is saying we should all be "bowing down and eternally grateful", so this opinion is based on a false premise and the post is therefore far from "brilliant" as you suggest.

Just wanted to clear that up....

The club may be bigger than the manager, but it is not coincidental that the two most successful clubs in the Premier League's history are also the two with the longest standing managers. Stability will bring better success than changing managers when things look the slightest bit grim. Getting rid of MON would be a backwards step.

Â