Penalty taker?

kieranavfc

Who would you have as this season's penalty taker?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have as this season's penalty taker?

• Kevin Phillips
    • Milan Baros
    • Gareth Barry
    • Nolberto Solano
    • Juan Pablo Angel (tongue in cheek)

Super KP. Although Barry has done well I'm always a bit uneasy about left footers taking pens.

Funnily enough I somehow have to agree with you on the left foot. Don't know why. I just feel the same.

Anyway I still stick to Barry. He should take them until he misses one. In a "real" game. I saw his miss against GAIS in the pre-season and it wasn't good, but in the league he's stuffed them well and untill he misses he shall take them IMO. Then it can be KP after himn. Or Nobby. Or Baros. Not JPA.

Gareth Barry bangs them in with great aplomb, usually right into the side or the roof of the net. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not sure Angel would get his shot off, even in the penalty box with no other players around him.

aplomb? what sort of bloody word is that?

Far too much lah-di-dah coming from you these days :-)

p.s. Risso the anti JPA jibes mate, reminissent of certain other posters

Gareth Barry bangs them in with great aplomb, usually right into the side or the roof of the net. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not sure Angel would get his shot off, even in the penalty box with no other players around him.

Even the penalties Angel scored weren't particularly well hit. It was just a matter of time till the job was taken off him.

Isnt it funny, and probably OT for this thread, but people are saying if Baros scores 10 this year then they will be happy. Angel scores 9 last year and all of a sudden he's shit. Amazing

bloody hell I couldn't care less how well a pen is hit so long as it goes in

Yes but even the poorly hit ones will go in if the keeper goes the wrong way, but when he guess's the right way he's got a better chance of saving them.

If ever you get the chance to see some of Angel's successful pens you'll see what i mean.

amazing the anti-JPA bashing continues, I suppose if he scores on Saturday you will be cheering like the rest?

It's not anti-JPA bashing from me drat, it's called constructive criticism.

I've never liked his penalty taking from day one. He hit the ball far too weakly and far too close to the keeper for me, and it was only a matter of time before he cost us and the job was taken off him.

I'm a fan of Angel, but even the biggest Angel fan should admit that he was very poor last season, and he has got to improve this season or he'll be out the door.

I'm wondering if the likes of Barry or Samuel would get the same sort of defending on here if they had seasons as bad as Angel did last year.

I doubt it somehow.

Juan has been a prolific goalscorer in two different leagues. When he started hitting the back of the net it wasn't until the 4th or 5th game of DOL's first season. And when he does score, I hope his critics eat humble pie.

As for penalty taking, I can name several great strikers who have been shit at pens: Berkamp, Baggio and Zola come to mind, I am sure other people can come up with other names.

Â