Booooooooooo!

ChrisVillan

On Sunday afternoon, boos rang around Villa Park when Zat Knight was sacrificed to bring on John Carew on the hour.

I wasn't there of course, but has anyone considered that maybe they were chanting "Careeeeeew" in appreciation of Big John? Seems a pretty common thing for fans to do for players with an "ooooo" sound to their name.

It wasn't that mate, it really wasn't.

i'm with you, in general, about the booing thing though.

booing and cheering are just different sides of the same coin, for me, and you can't really expect one without the other, especially when results take a downturn

Very true and booing is not new news at Villa Park. In the last season DOL was manager I am struggling to recall a game where the side were NOT booed off. My most abiding memory was the 3-2 loss to Middlesborough when Steve Davis got one back in injury time. My son who was 9 at the time turned to me and said 'Villa are cr*p are'nt they Dad?' There was only one answer to that in those days!

Yes - all the games under DOL seemed to merge into one great big 'Fan Huff.' I remember walking away from another home defeat by some mediocre Premiership upstart and a young lad (maybe 6 or 7 years old) turned round to his dad as we were walking along Witton Lane;

"Dad, can we support someone else please?"

Happy days are here again...

Actually - having said all this, was DOL the manager when we beat Chelsea at VP in the League Cup early rounds one year? JPA kissed the camera in the corner after a fine strike. Sneaky feeling McCann scored our other goal?? Was that the year that we got nullified at the Reebok in the semi final first leg? Only for refer-bastad-ree Steve Bennett single-handedly denying us equalisation in the second leg?

I had a full newspaper spread picture of Sam 'A*se' Allardyce on my office wall after that League Cup run ended with defeat to the Trotters. I used to smack it every day with a ruler when I arrived in the office and at any other time when I was displeased.

"I feel good..." etc.

Â