25 years Ago Today

tonyh29

Was Thatcher.....  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Was Thatcher.....

• Right
    • Wrong

I'll also bet they didn't pour concrete down those mines either did they? Thatcher poured concrete down perfectly good mines so they could never be used again. That is the act of a mad woman hell bent on revenge

Or simply something to prevent the mines from collapsing and taking properties with them. Such still happens from time to time in Pennsylvania.

living in an area that you still see the scars of that witch and her actions I can easily and rightly say she was wrong.

The legacy of her attack against the unions, the miners and the north are still being felt

Awful woman and I know many people who have parties arranged for the day she goes

Tony do you think the closures could have been handled in a better way or do you think as Bicks says and I totally agree it was a war on what she saw as a threat.

It can be argued that emancipation of workers led not only to valuable assets being sold off abroad but led to where we are now

Maggie Thatcher was an incompetent, arrogant bitch and we are unfortunately even now still paying for many of her failings.

Arrogant yes, a bitch yes, incompetent no. She manged to sort out the cluster **** left by the last labour government, pretty much the definition of competence..

Maggie Thatcher was an incompetent, arrogant bitch and we are unfortunately even now still paying for many of her failings.

On our local TV there are a whole series of programmes running at the moment and the depth of feeling is still massive against her and what she did.

She was / is callous in her hatred for those she tried to basically put down

I have never felt as much contempt for anyone as I do towards her

I'll also bet they didn't pour concrete down those mines either did they? Thatcher poured concrete down perfectly good mines so they could never be used again. That is the act of a mad woman hell bent on revenge

Is that common knowledge then Bickster? I know you are dead right 'cos brother in law and father in law were miners in the North Staffs coalfield. Brother in law said that there were considerable reserves left down there (Hem Heath) AND £000's of pounds worth of equipment - not even salvaged for scrap. All useless now. So yes ; perhaps "vindictive bitch "would be more moderate

pretty much the definition of competence..

As a military man you must have admired her competence in selling all of the UK "summer" uniforms to Saddam then.

I had friends directly effected by this, I lived in a town strongly effected by deliberately cruel policies so when thatcher dies I will enjoy a little drinky

leaders on both sides badly let the people down when they were both supposed to represent and promote the people - a disgrace and curse them both

pretty much the definition of competence..

As a military man you must have admired her competence in selling all of the UK "summer" uniforms to Saddam then.

Ah yes, I remember those days. When the government realised the military needed kit, proper accomodation, hospitals, gaps between operational tours, ad infinitum. You must be proud of Labour's efforts to starve them of resources whilst commiting them to illegal wars. Anyone would think they didn't give a shit...

Is it the lovely Saudi's who have been sold billions worth of kit under Labour? Oh yes, it is.

On our local TV there are a whole series of programmes running at the moment and the depth of feeling is still massive against her and what she did.

so despite evidence proving that more pits were closed under Wilson & Callaghan than under Thatcher .. it's still a one way street in those peoples eyes ??

and surely Scargill was the one treating people with contempt ..he made it clear that his aim in life was not the welfare of his miners but the destruction of the Tory Govt ... quite correctly he is now being viewed by most clear headed people as the villain of the piece ?

I wonder if 25 years from now the car workers of Rover et al will be sitting there all bitter and saying Brown was callous in his hatred for those he tried to basically put down and how he killed communities ??

so despite evidence proving that more pits were closed under Wilson & Callaghan than under Thatcher .. it's still a one way street in those peoples eyes ??

So despite people telling you the reasons for that were entirely different to the witches you choose to ignore that

A lot of those pits were exhausted or merged (When the exploited seams meet underground there is little point in having two pit heads)

It was also ironic that the pits who didn't strike seemed to stay open a lot longer in the main than the ones that went on strike. Obviously the scab pits were more economically viable all along

quite correctly he is now being viewed by most clear headed people as the villain of the piece

By the most of whom, Tony?

And even allowing for Scargill's Trotsky/Lenin complex, he wasn't and still isn't dumped by those who Wikipedia claims he is, the destruction of trade unionism by Thatch was part of the idiocy that has seen us get to where we are today.

It is only those who hold their hands over their eyes that believe that there isn't a dynamic relationship between the means of production and those who own the means of production.

Part of Thatch's legacy was to con people into thinking that owning shares in the companies gave them power. It didn't and the likes of Goodwin and Hornby proved such.

Our economy is based on false premises, always was and will continue to be until we wake up....

So despite people telling you the reasons for that were entirely different to the witches you choose to ignore that

but they weren't ALL different , as people have also told you ...

Part of Thatch's legacy was to con people into thinking that owning shares in the companies gave them power. It didn't and the likes of Goodwin and Hornby proved such.

thats a fantastic peice of analysis Snowy, the sell off of all our assets i the 80's were a con and could oly be done when the unions were destroyed. Along with my fav of the council house sell off, it gave a false notion that private was better but in fact the only winners were those at the top or foreign companies who broughty some great assets

I'm not crticising anyone (Bicks and Santa) but I find it interesting that you've used the terms scabs to describe people who felt that working to support their families had to be their number one priority. IF god forbid I was in their shoes I think the food in my child's belly would be a higher priority for me than the opinion of my colleagues. Weren't some of these guys murdered by fellow miners*? If so how does that make people feel?

*Serious question because I'm not sure.

It's obvious from certain comments that they have not lived amongst the communities that Thatcher tried and mostly succeeded in killing off and seeing what her legacy was

Â