The Other Music Thread - DnB, Dub, Reggae, Techno et al.....

trimandson

My absolute favourite DJ for a number of years now. Proper jackin fun wonky techno, **** all of that straight white noise crapology they lose their shit all over Berlin to.

Absolutely amazingly sound dude too. I sincerely hope this isn't news to anyone and you're all familiar with the man Jerome Hill, if not, enjoy, you lucky sods.

Edinburgh techno & bass assasin Neil Landstrumm. Such a cosy horny lil flavour off this too.

Dude literally gets better with every release. Given he's pushing 40, that's saying a lot.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Like that Tsuzing track.

The rest of the album is a bit disappointing.

There's been a strong electronic scene with flavours of the Orient for a few years now. It still seems to be flourishing judging by the 10 million hits in 6 months for a Youtube playlist! It's interesting to hear an actual Chinese artist getting out there though.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Renick Bell is standing in front of his computer at a small table in the middle of the dance floor. The stoic, bespectacled musician types quickly and efficiently, his eyes locked to his computer screen. Around him in a wide circle, the crowd bobs to his music. Sputtering tom rolls, blobby techno synths, and crystalline cymbal taps blossom and spill out of the theater's massive surround-sound system. All the lights are off, and the only illumination in the big room is the glow of Bell's monitor, the soft red LED backlight on his mechanical gaming keyboard, and a live view of his PC monitor projected on a wall-sized screen.

Nearly every one of the hundred or so people in the room, myself included, is staring intently at the action playing out on the screen. But what's being projected is not some psychedelic animation, alien landscape, or whatever other visuals you'd expect to see at an electronic music gig. What we're watching is code. Lines and lines of it, filling up the black screen in a white monospace font...

... "Live-coding" parties such as this—where revelers show up as much for the if-thens and variables as the beer and snacks—are a recent phenomenon in underground electronic music culture. And here in the Bay Area, where the Venn diagram of the Silicon Valley and DJ scenes finds its overlap, shows like Bell's are right at home. Yet they're not just more of the tech-meets-techno same. Whereas a traditional EDM show might feature a performer cueing up sounds or samples on a laptop, DJs at live-coding shows use computers to play music in a wholly different way, and to make all new sounds.

The code on display is used to control software algorithms. The musician synthesizes individual noises (snare hits, bass blobs) on their computer, then instructs the software to string those instrumental sounds together based on a set of predefined rules. What comes out bears the fingerprint of the artist but is shaped entirely by the algorithms. Run the same routine a second time and the song will sound familiar and contain all the same elements, but the composition will have a different structure. This is the apotheosis of electronic creation—half human, half machine. The events that have sprung up to celebrate this form of generative composition have already been given a delightful portmanteau: algoraves.

Wired

Brian Eno's been on this trip for a decade or two and Berry Gordy has them beat by near half a century. He bought the combined synthesiser/generative music making Electronium from Raymond Scott in 71.

Though Scott worked with Motown for 6/7 years as a consultant, virtually nothing has been released to date.

• 1 year later...

A superb set from Idris Elba from Defected. This was live on Friday 22/5.

Smashed it and it's on my play again list.

Edited by imavillan

2 hours ago, bickster said:

The absolute worst thing about this is the side on Technics

Turntablist rig. They all play like that. The Elba rig above is the same. 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Is there an advantage to be gained? To me it's just WRONG

Tone arm's out the way and all the action's immediately left and right of the crossfader.

See I always thought what they should have done was built left and right decks and sold them in pairs or individually, one deck will always have the start button too far away from the crossfade, but what you say does make sense, so I might stop being annoyed by it

• Haha 1

Â