The Other Music Thread - DnB, Dub, Reggae, Techno et al.....

trimandson

Love my D&B and had some wicked nights at the que club, bagleys and the end.

Got to say the best holiday of my life bar none was sun and bass in Sardina and anyone into D&B should go as its a beautiful island and the line ups are wicked.

fyi the best night in london is finally coming to Brum in April as renegade hardware will be landing in town. got to get a ticket for this one

• 3 weeks later...

I am liking some of the new(ish) bass driven artists who are kinda doing there own thing like Ben UFO, Oneman, Jamie XX (to a certain extent, although he cannot beat match for shit), and all the other Young Turks, Standard Place, R&S artists. If you liked dubstep when it was fresh and exciting, this kinda stuff might be for you as well.

I am liking some of the new(ish) bass driven artists who are kinda doing there own thing like Ben UFO, Oneman, Jamie XX (to a certain extent, although he cannot beat match for shit), and all the other Young Turks, Standard Place, R&S artists. If you liked dubstep when it was fresh and exciting, this kinda stuff might be for you as well.

Isn't that just 90's deep house though? I just checked a Ben UFO video on youtube and it's got a Smokin' Beats track in the mix I've got in my collection from some time pre-2000.

I seem to remember Smokescreen playing stuff like that in 1994...

Have to admit tho im going through weird phase of hating club music.

I loved dubstep originally (the good stuff) and do still like a LOT of the "post-dubstep" stuff being churned out

but ....there are times when just think so and so making FUTURE GARAGE etc (or some of it) ... is bit like mate - just **** off.

Dont get me wrong there are gems still about.

Tho there is also a lot of very boring four to the floor very retro stuff being hailed as great imho at moment.

Having said that i still love Addison Groove take on juke , 808 stuff . He makes better juke than any proper juke or american.

So i am sort of full of contradictions.

Then you have some singer song writer crosseover stuff like James Blake . His album is terrible imo. Junk.

Isn't that just 90's deep house though? I just checked a Ben UFO video on youtube and it's got a Smokin' Beats track in the mix I've got in my collection from some time pre-2000.

yeah, they are really mixing it up. Hard to really give it a definitive genre, i think it is bass driven, with some samples taken from some 90's tracks, but into like "future garage"/ dubstep vibes.

I think it's all borne from the eclecticism in dance and electronica at the moment, which is only a good thing. It's increasingly difficult with an ever growing number of artists to draw obvious boundaries between dubstep, house, techno, garage, R&B and any number of other influences. And a lot of the best music is emerging from these muddied waters, drawing on these sounds without imitating them.

It's a trend that has spilled over to nights as well. I go to an ever increasing number of events where I can expect to hear house, techno, electro, dubstep, garage, grime, hip hop, drum and bass all in the same night, be it through the variation of the selection from the DJs (Ben UFO for example plays very eclectic sets) or the variation from the promoters in the artists that they have booked. Again, I think this is a good thing.

There is also a 'retro' tendency in the work of some (though by no means all) producers, but I think to a degree that this always there and is not a peculiar feature of this particular moment in time. It's also not necessarily a bad thing. For older heads it's a throwback to sounds that they used to know and (presumably) enjoy, and for a younger audience it can act as a gateway drug to the past. So long as it's not a cover for a lack of ideas, referentialism can be a good thing.

A good instance of this is the Instra:mental album, which is a great listen in its own right, whilst drawing heavily from late 90's dance music as well as stuff like Autechre and Drexciya. They've come from producing other styles and tempos as well, so the cross-referencing runs deep and draws different audiences into different sounds. It's an example of the cross pollination in electronica and dance at the moment, and I think it's a good time for the music.

• 2 weeks later...

im a big d&b head. I started playing around with making my own tunes recently. Prompted by some of the utter tosh that gets released these days.

You would be surprised as i was at how easy it is to make decent sounding choons if you have the right software and prepared to put in some time watching tutorials etc.

See link below. Its my first attempt at making a song. I have never made music before, and know no music theory, chords etc. Im slowly learning, bought a midi keyboard that has helped alot. Im using FL Studio 8 as the learning curve was more gentle compared to reason etc.

(listen to it with some decent bass or it sounds wack)

I know its far too long, basic and repetitve. But it was knocked up within a week or buying the software. Any tips would be welcome.

• 4 months later...

A new mix I've done of some 130ish stuff, check it out if the tracklist appeals, DL available. I'm really digging this sort of stuff at the moment.

Cosmin TRG - Star Motel

Anenon - Shifts

Julio Bashmore - Battle for Middle You

Julio Bashmore - Battle for Middle You (Maurice Donovan Dub)

SBTRKT - Look at Stars

Egyptrixx - Liberation Front

Blawan - Getting Me Down

Cosmin TRG - Fizic

Instra:mental - Pyramid

Beastie Respond - Syncopy (Blawan's Trecther Mechanica)

Daphni - Ye Ye

Untold - Bones (Rockwell Remix)

Baobinga & Randomer - Crom2

Arp.101 - Flush

Hyetal - Phoenix (Fantastic Mr Fox Remix)

Lando Kal - Further

Floating Points - Sais (Dub)

Sully - It's Your Love

Pangaea - Inna Daze

Mount Kimbie - Blind Night Errand

Joy O - Sicko Cell

Marcus Intalex - Dusk

Jon Hopkins - Vessel

A new mix I've done of some 130ish stuff, check it out if the tracklist appeals, DL available. I'm really digging this sort of stuff at the moment.

Cosmin TRG - Star Motel

Anenon - Shifts

Julio Bashmore - Battle for Middle You

Julio Bashmore - Battle for Middle You (Maurice Donovan Dub)

SBTRKT - Look at Stars

Egyptrixx - Liberation Front

Blawan - Getting Me Down

Cosmin TRG - Fizic

Instra:mental - Pyramid

Beastie Respond - Syncopy (Blawan's Trecther Mechanica)

Daphni - Ye Ye

Untold - Bones (Rockwell Remix)

Baobinga & Randomer - Crom2

Arp.101 - Flush

Hyetal - Phoenix (Fantastic Mr Fox Remix)

Lando Kal - Further

Floating Points - Sais (Dub)

Sully - It's Your Love

Pangaea - Inna Daze

Mount Kimbie - Blind Night Errand

Joy O - Sicko Cell

Marcus Intalex - Dusk

Jon Hopkins - Vessel

downloading now :thumb:

got any more for download? any dnb?

• 1 month later...
Â