What do you think of Nando's?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Nando's?

• Love it!
    • Like it
    • Its ok but over-rated
    • Don't like it
    • Never eaten there

Nandos is alright I guess. It's not amazing or anything, and is just chicken and chips haha. I went about 2 weeks ago to the one at The Fort. The place was a bit dirty and has put me off going there again...

Nandos is alright I guess. It's not amazing or anything, and is just chicken and chips haha. I went about 2 weeks ago to the one at The Fort. The place was a bit dirty and has put me off going there again...

just chicken & chips? :?

thats like saying a Ferrari is just a car, or Buckingham Palace is just a house.

Its the sauce that makes Nando's the genuis that it is.

just chicken & chips? :?

thats like saying a Ferrari is just a car, or Buckingham Palace is just a house.

Its the sauce that makes Nando's the genuis that it is.

Indeed, and KFC is just chicken and chips, dry crap. Nandos chicken is nice and succulent. Yum I want one now.

Nandos is pretty sucky as far as i'm concerned. Dry, uninspired chain restaurant food. Very little in the way of fresh ingredients used. As far removed from real Mexican food as a chips in curry is from genuine Indian food.

As far removed from real Mexican food as a chips in curry is from genuine Indian food.
Not surprising as it's not meant to be Mexican - it's Portugese.

Not that I've ever tried it.

As far removed from real Mexican food as a chips in curry is from genuine Indian food.

:lol:

and the Portuguese sauce is actually a twist on an African sauce.

so its African/Portuguese food, rather than Mexican.

(can't remember which bit of Africa, but its in their literature if you want to find out).

:lol:

and the Portuguese sauce is actually a twist on an African sauce.

so its African/Portuguese food, rather than Mexican.

(can't remember which bit of Africa, but its in their literature if you want to find out).

I'm guessing Angola or Mozambique, as they are the major former-Portugese countries in Africa.

From Wiki & nandos.com:

Piri-piri, peri-peri or peli-peli is the name used in Mozambique and Angola to describe the African bird's-eye chili.

In Mozambican cuisine, piri-piri is often used in preparing sauces and marinades for roast and grilled dishes, especially chicken and various fish. Piri-piri is widely used in a vast number of dishes of Portuguese cuisine.

Nando's, the Portuguese-themed chicken restaurant, originated in South Africa from Portuguese who left Mozambique after the independence in 1975. The chain uses piri-piri in many of its dishes, and helped popularise them worldwide. The company, however, prefers the common South African spelling peri peri on its menus and branded sauces.

Well done, MJMooney!

From Wiki & nandos.com:

Piri-piri, peri-peri or peli-peli is the name used in Mozambique and Angola to describe the African bird's-eye chili.

In Mozambican cuisine, piri-piri is often used in preparing sauces and marinades for roast and grilled dishes, especially chicken and various fish. Piri-piri is widely used in a vast number of dishes of Portuguese cuisine.

Nando's, the Portuguese-themed chicken restaurant, originated in South Africa from Portuguese who left Mozambique after the independence in 1975. The chain uses piri-piri in many of its dishes, and helped popularise them worldwide. The company, however, prefers the common South African spelling peri peri on its menus and branded sauces.

Well done, MJMooney!

It's pub quiz night tonight, gotta keep limbered up.

Mrs WalmleyVilla and I go there every couple of months or so and we both really like it. Reasonable value for money, food always well cooked and service is really quick (never had to wait more than five minutes for our meals). We've always found the staff there to be polite and courteous as well (in the Fort and Solihull anyway - can't speak for the others).

FWIW I can only manage the medium sauce nowadays. Anything stronger and I get the two-bob bits!

Â